Formula Boinc 2017

Soldato
with weather like this today :cool: you've got to get creative :D. going to see a man about some server fans shortly, I hope they are delta fans! they'll move the air needed to keep it cool

Associate
It might be cooler lower down, hot out the top and vent in colder air down low on the shaded side of the shed, and yer my rad is still hanging out the window :)
If you start buying ducting then you will def get a visit from the police lol

Soldato
fitted 2x 80mm delta fans on 1 of the servers, and wow they are loud I **** myself when they both fired up, but they don't half move some air. im going to get 2 more!. also got a load of 1gb sticks of ddr3 incase any of the upcoming projects are ram heavy

oh ye this guy has about 50 xeon servers hes stripping down to weigh in :eek: only 2 x quad cores. he has around 5000gb in ddr2 modules aswell

EDIT- delta fans are pretty good at cooling :D

Last edited:
Soldato
hi engj, I see your doing milkyway, if you go to this folder C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu_milkyway. inside here create a text document and paste in these commands.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>milkyway</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.25</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.1</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

once you've done this go to save as, name it app_config.xml and underneath select were it says save as type, click all files. then ok.

now go to boinc in options you will see read config files, click this, and your GPU will now run 4 gpu tasks in the same time at once as it takes to run one. a lot more credit!

Associate
hi engj, I see your doing milkyway, if you go to this folder C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu_milkyway. inside here create a text document and paste in these commands.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>milkyway</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.25</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.1</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

once you've done this go to save as, name it app_config.xml and underneath select were it says save as type, click all files. then ok.

now go to boinc in options you will see read config files, click this, and your GPU will now run 4 gpu tasks in the same time at once as it takes to run one. a lot more credit!
Thanks, thats amazing. The wife gets back home tomorrow after a trip so will have to be sneaky about leaving the PC running. My water cooler is a little noisy when everything is maxed out.

Soldato
There's another challenge on the 27the and many more through out the year. But boinc formula is a year long challenge nearly it's self. What cpu or gpu power do you have spare

Associate
Milkyway runs amazing on a AMD HD7970 ..32 secs! MY titan does them in 150secs , looking online ive seen them for less then £100, might just get 1 :)

EDIT ok maybe the 32 secs is fake, looking more like 70/80 secs, but still good

Last edited:
Soldato
ive got a 280x, XFX one but its got a fan broke, got one of the MM for £5 from the same card were somebody had the same problem lol. the r9 290 I also have running isn't that much faster

Associate
ive got a 280x, XFX one but its got a fan broke, got one of the MM for £5 from the same card were somebody had the same problem lol. the r9 290 I also have running isn't that much faster

I haven't had the slightest bit of trouble out of my XFX R9-280X's fans. :D

7970/7990/280X is the last of the great double precision cards. I've had Titans that were supposed to be superior, but they under-performed on Milkyway.

20uu7mo.jpg

Soldato
Wha, nice tony. looks tidy! ill be doing this to an amd 7870 im buying for cheap as it has cooling problems with the fan. I would have done this with the xfx had I of known these fit, but the spare fan only cost me £5 inc delivery.

Back
Top Bottom