Creators update HDR

Soldato
Yes I know it seems unsettling because millions upon millions of pounds have been spent by UK public because "HDR", and I wish I could explain everything for you but I really don't have the time.

But what I can tell you is the fundamentals, and how to BEGIN your journey of enlightenment:

Go to Wikipedia and type in High Dynamic range Imaging.

Read the first sentence. It's to do with luminosity. Not Chromaticity.

Now go to Wikipedia and type in Chromaticity and read the first sentence. It's nothing to do with luminosity.

There's a reason sRGB has been the absolute standard for over TWO decades. It's because it can contain all the chromaticity you really need, and certainly all the luminosity. And now in the past few years we've had a shedload of nonsense marketing crap created by TV manufacturers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well yes obviously I'm aware of what HDR is. Everything everyone has ever heard about HDR TVs has been from someone who's trying to sell it to them.

It's always the same crap, all they have to do is turn up the vibrancy slider on a demo and BAM, you've sold HDR lol.

Also, the only precursor to HDR TV's was that nonsense "dynamic contrast ratios" where they could change the brightness of the panel on the fly based on the overall exposure of the signal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No...I have it, it's really good and very obvious when it's working properly

i.e a 4k UHD disc such as 'Pacific Rim'

In-fact HDR is more of an upgrade than 4k resolution IMO. I had a non HDR 4k TV and that couldn't even compare.

Anyway this has gone massively off topic.

Last edited:
Soldato
No...I have it, it's really good and very obvious when it's working properly

i.e a 4k UHD disc such as 'Pacific Rim'

In-fact HDR is more of an upgrade than 4k resolution IMO. I had a non HDR 4k TV and that couldn't even compare.

Anyone this has gone massively off topic.

As I said millions upon millions have been spent "because hdr", and obviously you will be naturally inclined to defend your purchase at all costs. But it's nothing new. It's just borne out of that old with panels having "Dynamic Contrast Ratios of 10000000000:1" - No joke I have seen a TV with infinite contrast ratio and it was the funniest thing i've seen in my life. But all they're really doing is varying the brightness of the panel in correspondence with the signal input levels. It's absolutely nothing special whatsoever, but to a TV manufacturer it's special enough to create a new generation of products to sell.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, or that you won't see it working on your brand new HDR-TV, I'm saying all the marketing, and what you've been told is required and necessary for HDR is BS.

I had a non HDR 4k TV and that couldn't even compare.
Yeah and there's a massive chance of non-HDR TV having the EXACT same panel in it as an HDR TV. As I said it's all to do with signal processing.

Last edited:
Associate
As I said millions upon millions have been spent "because hdr", and obviously you will be naturally inclined to defend your purchase at all costs. But it's nothing new. It's just borne out of that old with panels having "Dynamic Contrast Ratios of 10000000000:1" - No joke I have seen a TV with infinite contrast ratio and it was the funniest thing i've seen in my life. But all they're really doing is varying the brightness of the panel in correspondence with the signal input levels. It's absolutely nothing special whatsoever, but to a TV manufacturer it's special enough to create a new generation of products to sell.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, or that you won't see it working on your brand new HDR-TV, I'm saying all the marketing, and what you've been told is required and necessary for HDR is BS.

Yeah and there's a massive chance of non-HDR TV having the EXACT same panel in it as an HDR TV. As I said it's all to do with signal processing.

By comparing it to dynamic contrast ratio being used on SDR then it would seem you think HDR is a gimmick? As i see the shop floor saying 1,000,000 dcr as a way to say our tv is better with higher numbers. But in reality this mode was unusable to me as i can see the panel changing brightness, which was a huge deal breaker. it was a gimmick But, with HDR it is nothing but better. Not a gimmick, but something i will use every time it is available.
So what if the panels of a non hdr tv having the same as the HDR tv. If it hasn't got the signal processing then its a moot point.

Associate
OP
Anybody had any more luck with this? I have just avoided it for a few weeks in the hope that nvidea drivers/windows updates would be sorted by now. It seem it is not and I cant even get Mass Effect to trigger HDR at all now!

Back
Top Bottom