Upgrade or Start again?

Associate
I currently have an old gaming rig that I built about 3 years ago. Its been ok for the money that I paid for it but I think its time for a refresh or a new build. Ideally I would like to use AMD freesync, I have windows, monitors, mouse, keyboard. My max budget is £1000 for new build but spending less would be better. If a new build would be best is there anything worth reusing from my exisiting rig?

Current specs -
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 WindForce 3X OC 3072MB GDDR5

AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6300 Black Edition

TeamGroup Vulcan RED 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

MB-457-GI Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard

NZXT Hale Power 90+ 550W '80 Plus Gold' Power Supply

Zalman Z3-Plus Midi-Tower

Thanks J and J

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £711.57
(includes shipping: £11.10)

This any good for you?

If it is, check with OCUK that the motherboard is on the latest bios as i believe it needs latest for the CPU.
(think there was something in the motherboard forum about this)

Discount code for GPU.
Devil

Soldato
PSU should be good to re-use unless it's given you problems. That range was built by SuperFlower, or at least some of them. Should still have a couple of years warranty on it too.

Have you experienced acceptable temps in that Zalman case? If so, keep.

Any SSD/HDD?

Any aftermarket cooler or were you using stock cooler?

EDIT - Nice spec with that 580 discount, Freddie.

Soldato
Just had a look for the thread about the bios but not finding it. Maybe i was mistaken, but sure i only read it either yesterday or Saturday.

You mean about Ryzen 5 CPUs not being compatible with the original BIOS on some AM4 boards? If so, yes, that's something buyer should be aware of - if the board doesn't come with the right BIOS revision it has to be sent back to OcUK for them to update it for you. No way around that bit of pot luck involved unless you can borrow a Ryzen 7 CPU or find a motherboard model released after Ryzen 5 was released.

Associate
OP
Thanks for getting back to me, that seems like an excellent build, GPU seems like a steal. I am not 100% ready to build the new rig yet as we are just finishing off our home extension. Do you think it will be worth picking up the GPU at the moment and then picking up the rest over the next month or so? Also would it be worth going up to a Ryzen 7? I will be playing things like PUBG, Diablo 3, CSGO, Civilization etc. Also will be doing some C# application development.

Associate
OP
PSU should be good to re-use unless it's given you problems. That range was built by SuperFlower, or at least some of them. Should still have a couple of years warranty on it too.

Have you experienced acceptable temps in that Zalman case? If so, keep.

Any SSD/HDD?

Any aftermarket cooler or were you using stock cooler?

EDIT - Nice spec with that 580 discount, Freddie.

Yeah temps always seemed impressive with stock fans, I can always upgrade or add more if required. I have an HDD and an SSD currently in the Zalman so that helps keep costs down.

Soldato
If you can afford the Ryzen 7 then why not, may as well get the best you can now. (1700X and 1800X do not come with a CPU cooler)

I only suggested the 5 to keep the price down. Also you should be ok with the bios if you get the 7 as they are supported from stock.

Maybe worth getting the GPU now in case it sells out again and they don't repeat the offer. Although take into account the return period.
If you have the card over 30 days before you actually do the build and something is wrong with it, they may return it to manufacturers for repair instead of swapping it themselves.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up about the cooler, would you suggest keeping the same motherboard? Ordered the GPU last night and already itching to get it up and running so im pretty surr it will be within 30 days!

Soldato
Not sure on the motherboard. It does seem to be a popular choice though, both MATX and ATX.

Maybe ask for opinions in the motherboard sub forum, you will get a better idea in there and users of Ryzen builds will be of more help than me.

Associate
OP
Not sure on the motherboard. It does seem to be a popular choice though, both MATX and ATX.

Maybe ask for opinions in the motherboard sub forum, you will get a better idea in there and users of Ryzen builds will be of more help than me.

Ok, thanks again for all your help!

Associate
OP
So I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Would anyone suggest some improvements?

Would this build work with my current PSU and GPU -

New Build -

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £713.72
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato
It should all fit and work together.
The GPU is only 255mm long so well within the max aloud for the case (370mm).
That cooler is out of stock now though.
Are you getting a SSD?

Back
Top Bottom