forum a bit dead?

Soldato
What is this?

think it's one of those early access indie titles battling for greenlight on steam, they're promising fully immersive mmorpg gameplay with 144hz vr combined with a new haptic feedback setup and photorealistic graphics with a plot that supposedly offers "years of playability"

like many of these things it'll likely end up being dull and repetitive as they've poured all their money into tech development rather than story, it'll have a cult following for a while maybe even spawn a few copycat titles but it'll never amount to much.

Soldato
I feel the recent political and social times have brought the worst out in a lot of us, true colours are shown and cretins have crawled out of the woodwork, thus disparaging decent conversation.

Also, Friday pub night.

I don't post much these days but I do read the forum a lot still, for me personally I just don't feel this is 'my internet' any more, it's like someone has opened the door to my house and anyone can wonder in now. God how I miss the early days where the net was mainly filled with nerds, witty conversation, and good satirical humour, and most importantly, the freedom to say what was on your mind, these days forums feel like a guided experience, come and play in the sand pit but your parents will be watching closely, don't kick that boys sand castle over it might hurt his feelings, well his sand castle is ****, it deserves to be knocked over, and maybe next time he'll build a better one.

edit -

*Takes bucket and spade home*

Last edited:
Associate
I don't post much these days but I do read the forum a lot still, for me personally I just don't feel this is 'my internet' any more, it's like someone has opened the door to my house and anyone can wonder in now. God how miss the early days where the net was mainly filled with nerds, witty conversation, and good satirical humour, and most importantly, the freedom to say what was on your mind, these days forums feel like a guided experience, come and play in the sand put but your parents will be watching closely, don't kick that boys sand castle over it might hurt his feelings, well his sand castle is ****, it deserves to be knocked over, and maybe next time he'll build a better one.

edit -

This. So much this.

I barely recognise the net these days.

Man of Honour
I don't post much these days but I do read the forum a lot still, for me personally I just don't feel this is 'my internet' any more, it's like someone has opened the door to my house and anyone can wonder in now. God how miss the early days where the net was mainly filled with nerds, witty conversation, and good satirical humour, and most importantly, the freedom to say what was on your mind, these days forums feel like a guided experience, come and play in the sand put but your parents will be watching closely, don't kick that boys sand castle over it might hurt his feelings, well his sand castle is ****, it deserves to be knocked over, and maybe next time he'll build a better one.

edit -

Yep, this.

Soldato

edit -

This is how i look at it now also.

Soldato
The other thing is that pretty much all of the interesting stuff I see here is on the front page of reddit first, random pictures, news articles, videos and things like that.

The forum is still great though and on the whole you get unparalleled advice and information here on certain things.

Associate
think it's one of those early access indie titles battling for greenlight on steam, they're promising fully immersive mmorpg gameplay with 144hz vr combined with a new haptic feedback setup and photorealistic graphics with a plot that supposedly offers "years of playability"

like many of these things it'll likely end up being dull and repetitive as they've poured all their money into tech development rather than story, it'll have a cult following for a while maybe even spawn a few copycat titles but it'll never amount to much.

Sounds lame. Don't think I'll bother.

I just don't feel this is 'my internet' any more

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Thug
Soldato
I think the moderating was a bit overzealous for a bit long and the interesting people got banned or got bored of posting. You also have people who try too hard to be witty (fng looking at you) and who end up just being caustic.

Certainly my average post count is down massively.

Another problem is just how polarised people have become. You can be guaranteed certain topics will have the same people coming in banging on the same old drum, misdirecting, deflecting, spinning things around which invariably kills the thread.

And don't get me started on topics around Islam....:rolleyes:

Mods prune excessively, people come out of the woodwork to defend (but Christianity...) by all means and it fills like an exercise in
proselytising...

All in all its a bit like society......******.

Caporegime
I think the moderating was a bit overzealous for a bit long and the interesting people got banned or got bored of posting. You also have people who try too hard to be witty (fng looking at you) and who end up just being caustic.

At least some of us try to look for the good in the dumpster fire instead of starting it or moaning about it.

And I'm looking at you.

Man of Honour
I think the mood has has changed for a few reasons that link together.

We've now reached the point of the internet where virtually everyone uses it multiple times per day for social purposes. With this, services (such as the news) have changed to cater for the 24 hour market and there has become a rush, or perhaps a push, of 'social commentary'. We now see everyone debating everywhere from anywhere and I think it's taken away from forums generally as they used to be the only place that really happened.

The increasing availability of 'irrelevance' everywhere and the rise of other platforms has also damaged forums generally. Things like Facebook, snapchat and even things like Reddit (which is apparently quite good if you understand how they work - non chronological posting ruins it for me!). Even people taking to YouTube and commenting for entertainment. There is less fresh blood to keep the forums sustained and interesting.

I also think people on the internet have really take their own anonymity for granted. I don't think I ever post anything on here that I wouldn't say to someone's face and largely vice versa. Maybe it's due to the rise of social media and the increasing popularity of social commentary but at some point in the last 5/10 years people just started to be meaner and simultaneously less tolerant of people having the right to say what they wanted. Or maybe the internet gave more dubious people a platform to speak they didn't have before. We've now seen this shift where the 'powers that be' are purported to have to step in to curb 'freedom of speech' (whether on forums or even the police) to take down those that encourage anti-social views and it frankly kind of sucks that you now feel an awareness of being judged for whatever you might say (although speaking mind has never been a problem for me personally because I'm generally concious of how people will react to what I do and say). This whole freedom of speech thing never used to be an issue but people are more concious of it than before and are more prone to objecting to it. Although I was once a member of the mod team, so you might accuse me of bias, before or after that, and during, I never really felt their presence as a negative. Yes there have been decisions that I'd disagree with and there are also people I thought should be banned when they weren't but meh, it's never substantially bothered me. The more objectionable moderating decisions came when OcUK was owned by its previous owner, IMO, by quite some margin. That said, stop moving threads from GD to other forums!!! - whoever does this should have their access restricted to the long-time dead 'speakers corner' for life :p

All of this has contributed to this sense that forums are 'dying' but I still love it and will probably be an active member of here for life :cool:

Back
Top Bottom