2017 Holiday Thread

Thug
Soldato
I just have a bit of a mental issue with spending money on intangible things, whilst I'm not poor I'm not rich enough to blow a load of cash on a ridiculous holiday, aside from that I'm not interested in a few days here or there. I've no passport and I'm not that bothered about holidaying in the UK. Maybe one day.

Book a cheap flight to Berlin. It can be really cheap over there (prob cheaper than your day to day) and you might really enjoy it. Find a band to see, free museums etc beer is dirt cheap etc.

I've taken like 1 day of holiday this year and worked the bank holidays . compliance says I have to take 10 days so will be doing the same... Send PM of you want a few ideas. :)

Soldato
Weekend road-trip with some friends to see the Green Bay Packers on 3rd December. With a one-day stop-over in Chicago.

Man of Honour
Book a cheap flight to Berlin. It can be really cheap over there (prob cheaper than your day to day) and you might really enjoy it. Find a band to see, free museums etc beer is dirt cheap etc.

As much as I make you right about Berlin, great city, the guy you were responding to said that he didn't have a passport, so he might have a little difficulty at Tegel, or Schönefeld airports, scratch that, he wouldn't be able to get on a plane in U.K. without one, unless he was flying a domestic route.
It might seem strange to you and I, not possessing a passport, but it's an individual's choice I guess.

Soldato
Just booked my customary November holiday. Flying into Porto on Saturday and then out of Lisbon on Friday. Worked out £60 return, flying from Edinburgh and back to Glasgow, each with one checked bag which is a bargain I think. Bit of luck Ryanair cancel the return flight and I'll have to overland back! :D

Anyone been to either? I've never been to Portugal, but looking forward to Port and seafood!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just booked my customary November holiday. Flying into Porto on Saturday and then out of Lisbon on Friday. Worked out £60 return, flying from Edinburgh and back to Glasgow, each with one checked bag which is a bargain I think. Bit of luck Ryanair cancel the return flight and I'll have to overland back! :D

Anyone been to either? I've never been to Portugal, but looking forward to Port and seafood!

Porto is a great little place, not very big, but good bars, restaurants and pedestrianised shopping area, but a tad hilly,
walk over the bridge to the port producers, sample a few and get a headache next morning.
Lisbon is a gem, take the Elevador da Bica, or old tram car to the Bairro Alto, (high town), lots of good bars with fado singers in the evenings, a fun town.

Associate
Last couple of years i have booked holidays for me and the missus in the USA , let her pick this year and we are off to Devon cliffs holiday park on saturday , cant wait :(

I should add this means we can take the kids and grand kids with us :(

Jesus that place was rightly called Devon Cliffs holiday park , we where about 1/2 mile away from the entertainment complex on a cliff.
Had a great time though , plenty of entertainment for the adult kids and grand kids , and my new favourite drink for getting mashed is Thatchers Haze.

Soldato
So the second half of the year has turned a bit more holiday focused that I expected - really it's all about relaxation rather than adventure which is fine for the 2 of us....

Aug Venice/Murano
Aug Madrid
Oct Malta
Nov Antigua
Jan Madeira

Soldato
Currently part way through last hurrah for summer in Costa Adeje, Tenerife. Relatively quiet, hot and local beer is just 1 Euro! Speaking of which; off down to the bar for a San Miguel!

Soldato
I understand budget airlines, I've never moaned about their service/what they offer because there's a reason that they are cheap. I get the extras for the checked bag, and awkward flight times, and the cost of a drink. However, I find their latest money making ruse quite amazing!

I'm going to Porto on Saturday with my girlfriend. Booked the tickets together, on the same booking. Checking in just now, and asked if I want to allocate a seat. I don't bother, as don't mind where we sit. Ryanair have allocated her 6C (first 'normal' seats) and me 33D (the last row of the plane). I mean, seriously? Purposefully not sitting two people on the same booking together is taking it a touch far no? I go to change the seats so we sit together, if I move beside her as it's row 6 that is where they charge the most. If she moves to me, you're right back at the plane which are easily the worst seats.

It's only a 3 hour flight, but I do find it quite staggering!

Plus, this does seem a bit illogical in the event of an emergency.

Hey ho, any tips for Porto/Lisbon?

Soldato
Trying to do London > Auckland > Christchurch > Melbourne > London flights for middle of March, come back middle of April. Best I'm getting on Kayak is £856, is that likely to go down?

Soldato
I had loads of holiday to take before the end of the year and for personal reasons I just didn't feel like taking "a holiday" this year, so I booked every Friday + Monday off from mid October till Dec, which made 3 day working weeks until we break up for Xmas, I could get used to this :p

Soldato
Any suggestions for week break around first week of Jan? upto £1000 per person or so want nice sun, beaches and some good nightlife.

Been looking at Canary Islands, was told Cuba/Dominican Republic are nice too.

Back
Top Bottom