Monarch Airlines to go bust tonight.

Soldato
Last used Monarch a few years back to Spain, great service, price, cabin crew etc

Alas, since then they have been no where near price wise either Jet2 for Spanish flights or Easy Jet for my frequent trips to Cyprus, both of whom I’ve never had an issue with.

Unfortunately it looks like they’ve lost out to the competition despite treating customers well in my experience, what a shame it isn’t Ryanair going down the pan, they couldn’t deserve it more! - a company I have never used after hearing plenty of horror stories prior to their recent debacle, never mind subsequently!

Problem is its typical British culture. Book the cheapest flight to whatever Spanish sunny destination they want to get to. Whatever happens between booking that flight and actually arriving there is a non issue to them as they don't care....well, why should they?!?!!? As long as they can go on holiday for cheap.

Soldato
Problem is its typical British culture. Book the cheapest flight to whatever Spanish sunny destination they want to get to. Whatever happens between booking that flight and actually arriving there is a non issue to them as they don't care....well, why should they?!?!!? As long as they can go on holiday for cheap.

That mindset applies to everything and everyone though - not just the British.

People will always vote with their wallets. It's part of the reason Ryanair won't go bust over this because they'll offer flights cheaper than the competition and will fill their seats.

Caporegime
British people are the literal spawn of a sewer creature, the intense need to show to your friends your potential melanoma is just dumb.

Man of Honour
Everyone wants everything for cheap. It isn't exactly British specific.

Caporegime
Soldato
GF is just sorting out charge-back through her credit card for our flights to Lisbon for New Year. New flights booked with Air Portugal, only £30 more so not too bad. Our flight back is with Ryanair, not been cancelled (yet). :)

Caporegime
It’s market forces for me, and actually what happens between booking and getting there is extremely important - I’ve had no issues and good service from both Jet2 and Easyjet (along with plenty of friends and family) Ryanair are sometimes the cheapest but, because of numerous bad experiences I’ve heard about with them from friends and family (never mind recent events!) I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

Price is important ,of course, and if I can get a good service from a cheaper carrier, I will. To be fair to Easyjet and Jet2 I can’t honestly say the experience was any worse with either of them than my last flight with Monarch, Easyjet especially has been superb in my recent experience, on time, no hassles and very accommodating of any requests.

When I go to Cyprus next, I will consider my options amongst the carriers that are available (left?) but I assure you no matter how cheap Ryanair are, I won’t bother with them as their ongoing debacle has ruined what little confidence I had in them, ignoring the dire customer service reputation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Call me an old cynic but given RyanAir were going to buy AirItalia or whoever it was, which then stopped dead in the water, this Monarch thing does seem to make a bit more sense when you look at the larger picture...

Soldato
Never had an issue with Monarch and flown both long and short with them. Always great service, clean aircraft and crew and made me feel like a normal human being. I would rate them well above the flagship carries BA and Virgin any day.

Shame they couldn't get it too work. They did always seem like they were never the airline to go to on first bookings, more the airline to book if nothing else was available which is a shame .

Soldato
If it makes people feel better the BBC are reporting this probably won't happen as Monarch flew Airbus and Ryanair use Boeing.

You know, I have often wondered, in these days of "Fly by wire" and computerised displays, just how difficult it would be to have a cockpit control system that can just go "Select Aircraft" :p

Caporegime
If it makes people feel better the BBC are reporting this probably won't happen as Monarch flew Airbus and Ryanair use Boeing.

That makes little difference, EasyJet had a boeing fleet and converted to Airbus, they can still take them and train them. EasyJet could take their A319/A320 crews easily enough if RyanAir didn't.

Associate
Leaving Lanzarote today and notice on the list of transfers there was a ZB flight meant to be leaving today to Manchester. No other notices at the resort so wouldn't know what happened to the people due on it but suspect it isn't going to be a straight forward return for them....

Associate
Sad day. Used to fly with Monarch every year till 2011 on the wonderful Airbus A300-605. Then Olympic holidays started using other Airlines for their package holidays.
Now fly with Jet 2 to Rhodes every year, they have been great.

Soldato
Ryanair needs to die too. Used them once, never again lol. It was like sitting on a crap bus for 2 hours, while some chump tried to sell me e-cigarettes every 5 minutes.

Monarch were actually good.

Back
Top Bottom