Winter Vs. Ducati

Soldato
It's my first winter on the Panigale. While the trusty old YBR125 has endured 4 winters sat outside, I've been warned about taking the Ducati out of the garage and onto roads which have been treated with salt - for fear of rust.

Is this just a tongue-in-cheek poke because of the Italian heritage (and the well proven fact Italian cars and bikes once had a reputation for rust). Or is it a real problem?

Associate
Any bike, ridden in a UK winter will suffer, if not prepared correctly. Depending on where you live and how much salt is thrown down.

I rode a brand new '99 Honda CBR600 through a winter back then and I was fortunate enough to be able to rinse off the salt when I got to work and liberally spray WD40 around linkages etc. It still suffered, and the rear suspension linkage looked like something recovered from the Titanic after a year old.

Past few winters I've ridden a Tuono 1100 Factory and previously a 1290 Super Duke, they were treated to ACF50 and Fusowax to all the paintwork. Washed at the end of every 4 night shifts. The Tuono still looks showroom condition.

That salt gets into all manor of hidden nooks and crannies. Sportsbikes are a nightmare to keep on top of because of the fairings and the compact nature (especially Panigales!) and the very worse thing you can do is stick it away after a ride on gritted/salted roads and leave it, very minimum hose it down.

I'd seriously think about leaving it off the road for the worst months, otherwise ACF50/Fusowax or similar and plenty of cleaning/upkeep are your friends.

Soldato
Yep, unless you're happy rinsing it down/washing it every 3-4 rides, put it away for the winter.

The salt hasn't come out here yet but a clean bike becomes filthy literally a day later at the moment.

Last winter with the salty moist layer on the roads which never dried out my visor was covered after 15 miles, you only have to imagine what the bike was getting covered in.

Soldato
OP
OK thanks for the tip guys. Think I'll retire it for the winter. Just need to invest in a trickle charger (the dealer attached a connector to it - just need to find a compatible unit).
Do I need to start it up even though the battery is charging? If so how often? It's done @ 400 miles.

Soldato
Don't start it, put it on paddock stands front and rear if you can, battery optimiser, and leave until spring.

If you've not got any stands put some extra pressure in the tyres and move the bike every month or 2 to prevent flat spots.

Soldato
I put mine away during winter also, more because its simply just too dangerous.

I live in a rural area commuting in to a city, country roads, no street lights, dark, its just a nightmare, when cars go past you, you get completely blinded for a split second or so when all the rain drops on your visor reflect the cars headlights. Added to the fact that rural vehicles drop tones of deisel and manure and all other manor or crap on the road, which you might not easily be able to see. Just not worth it.

I did it for 6 months one year out of necessity and thinking to myself if I keep doing this over the years at some point I am going to end up having a ****** up day (as cyclecruza says - FYI google that guys youtube vids).

With mine I jsut brim it (as already mentioned) also whack a bit of redex in the tank and give the bike a jiffle around. I give it a damn good clean before it goes away and cake it in Scotoiler FS365 which I prefer to ACF50 for storage. I dont use a trickle charger though I just start the bike up every few weeks, get it to temperature and run it for about 15 mintues or so, been doing this for years with no issues. I did read somewhere saying that isnt the right thing to do and went in to some explanation as to why, but I think a lot of that is subjective and not something I agree with personally. Not that using a trickle charge is a bad idea though, I should add.

Associate
Or if it's an Aprilia, take the tank off, drain it and stick it in the airing cupboard. :D

Preferably the whole bike! :p

I put mine away during winter also, more because its simply just too dangerous.

I live in a rural area commuting in to a city, country roads, no street lights, dark, its just a nightmare, when cars go past you, you get completely blinded for a split second or so when all the rain drops on your visor reflect the cars headlights.

This is the first winter I've used the car for years, I can cope with cold and slippery roads, but when you literally cannot see where you are going.. poorly adjusted headlamps dazzling you, half asleep van drivers pulling out of side roads etc etc.

Soldato
Preferably the whole bike! :p

This is the first winter I've used the car for years, I can cope with cold and slippery roads, but when you literally cannot see where you are going.. poorly adjusted headlamps dazzling you, half asleep van drivers pulling out of side roads etc etc.
Yup exactly added to fact if you do need to react you don't have the grip.

Caporegime
Here's one:

I delivered pizzas as a kid. In temperatures down to -14, in the snow, hail, rain, frozen roads, on a bike with the worst tyres I've ever ridden on, brakes which could be outperformed by putting my feet on the ice, lights which made a candle look strong, etc. If I could manage that, then anyone can manage it. You'll be slower, much slower, but it's doable.

As for the Ducati, I wouldn't. Buy a cheap winter hack and use that instead. Buy one for £lol and treat it like crap. Flog it to @Acme when you want a new one and start again.

Soldato
You do if you ride to the conditions

Well yeah....

I'd rather just avoid that all together.

I did it for about 6 months, 75 miles a day from where I live in to Cambridge, mix of country roads, A14 and also City.

The worst time was riding back one evening, I got to a more exposed higher country section of my usual trip and noticed this wierd gray looking stuff in the middile of the road (obviously was pitch dark so was hard to make out) thought it was some kind of crud a tractor or similar had dropped. Stayed out of it where the cars had driving over. Got to one section and hit it, slid for about 50 yards from one side of where the cars had worn it down to the other, was doing about 50 which isnt that fast but fast enough to give you a ****** up day!

Anyway managed to keep the bike upright by literally just going with the slide and not fighting it and catching it as I hit the otherside of the road. .I think what had happened is that it had hailed down in that area, and the hail had settled and then frozon in the middile of the road.

Thing is now, because I am not used to riding those conditions, now even the slightest damp on the road and I turn into super grandad mode and stop enjoying it, just rather be in my car.

Soldato
If I didn't ride in the damp I wouldn't be able to ride 90% of the time up here :p

Must admit in the hard rain when it's dark on an unlit motorway with headlights from the other carriage-way I can see next to nothing. There could be a log lying in the road and I wouldn't see it :p Still better than sitting in traffic though!

I ride all winter but then my bike is next to worthless and I'm running it in to the ground. I wouldn't buy a Duke (or anything expensive) for this reason.

Soldato
OP
don't use a duc in winter. buy something (anything) else. a 250 or whatever. unless it's a duc you don't love
Oh I do love my Panigale, the Mrs describes it as an ornament since I rarely use it. When I do take it out she worries in case it upsets the neighbours (Akrapovic exhaust is v. noisy to be fair!).

I still have my trusty YBR125 which is absolutely bullet proof. 61 plate and sails through MOTs + still puts a smile on my face.

Back
Top Bottom