How often need to replace an AIO?

Soldato
Hi,

I have noticed now and again I can hear my Corsair H75 make a sound as if there is air in the pipework on occasion.

Performance has not been effected from what I can see, however I bought it back in Feb of 2014 so its now pushing 4 years old.

Should I be looking at replacing it or just not worry about it?

Thanks

Kimbie

Soldato
I had my H100 for 5 years, still ran okay, just the Corsair LED failed on it.

I would detach the block from the board and hold it lower than the rad and give it a shake to try and force the air into the top of the rad. This is a standard requirement with AIOs i've found over the years.
Also something people should do first before the AIO is fitted as I suspect a lot of RMAs for pump noise are just a little bit of stuck air.

If the noise persists, I'd replace as it's likely to be a pump issue or excess air.

Soldato
If it persists, I would replace with a good air cooler .. it won't wear out in 4-5 years, in fact the cooler will never wear out, only the fan and TIM will wear out. ;)

Soldato
Just be aware it can take several weeks for RMA to be completed .. so you will need a cooler to use or system will be down until replacement arrives.

Associate
I got my H60 in 2011 and it is showing no obvious signs of aging. Thinking of replacing it with a full custom loop but only for noise reasons and a bit of extra cooling capacity.

Associate
If it persists, I would replace with a good air cooler .. it won't wear out in 4-5 years, in fact the cooler will never wear out, only the fan and TIM will wear out. ;)
I currently have a large Noctua and was wondering what kind of performance difference I would see with a 360mm AIO? I'm not sure the leak risk is worth the possible gains. But I'm tempted!

Associate
Just a thought, which way up is the rad, if the pipes are at the top then I believe that would cause issues with mine as the water isn’t filled all the way up to the top of the rad

Associate
Just a thought, which way up is the rad, if the pipes are at the top then I believe that would cause issues with mine as the water isn’t filled all the way up to the top of the rad
I don't actually have one yet but if I was to get one the rad would either go on the top of the case or the side. Are you saying that the holes in the rad should be high or low - sorry I have a mental block about this when I think about rads!

Soldato
Hi,

I have noticed now and again I can hear my Corsair H75 make a sound as if there is air in the pipework on occasion.

Performance has not been effected from what I can see, however I bought it back in Feb of 2014 so its now pushing 4 years old.

Should I be looking at replacing it or just not worry about it?

Thanks

Kimbie

There is air in it, they all have air in them. Not on purpose, it's simply hard to seal up a closed loop and be totally sure there's no bubbles trapped.

Replacing it is a good idea if your tubing is cracking or your pump starts making an outrageous noise way louder than the usual hum.

But the air bubble bouncing round the loop has been doing it all the time you've had it. I usually hear a swishy noise on startup when liquid starts moving then it settles to its usual running noise.

2009-2018+ on the same AIO here, gone through 4 fans but only one was due to the fan bearing wearing out, the others had running noises I didn't like or were the wrong colour. I cared enough to spend money on that.

And the answer is, do you care enough to spend money.

Associate
I don't actually have one yet but if I was to get one the rad would either go on the top of the case or the side. Are you saying that the holes in the rad should be high or low - sorry I have a mental block about this when I think about rads!

I mean the holes in the rad where the pipes are should be at the bottom if the rad is vertical or on the underneath if the rad is horizontal :)

At least with mine that has a bit of air in the rad - if the pipes were at the top it’d be sucking air round. With the pipes at the bottom hopefully all the air should be sat at the top of the rad.

Soldato
I currently have a large Noctua and was wondering what kind of performance difference I would see with a 360mm AIO? I'm not sure the leak risk is worth the possible gains. But I'm tempted!
Leaking is not a big risk, but none are quieter than air and few if any CLCs are silent even at idle. Pumps make noise so unless you want the sound similar to having a aquarium in the room I advise against CLCs. There are a few AIOs that are as good as top tier air cooling, but they cost much more than air cooling. If you want water cooling the best entry level is probably the be quiet! Silent Loop 280mm or 360mm. Very quiet pump, good cooling and less than twice the price of top tier air. I have a Silent Loop 280mm on one of my systems. ;)
Silent Loop 360mm was £149.99, now £134.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-silent-loop-superior-liquid-cpu-cooler-360mm-hs-01a-bq.html
Silent Loop 280mm £139.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-silent-loop-superior-liquid-cpu-cooler-280mm-hs-016-bq.html

Soldato
Pumps make noise so unless you want the sound similar to having a aquarium in the room I advise against CLCs

That comparison is nonsense.

Pumps makes a humming noise similar to a fan but without air turbulence noise from fan blades.

Exactly how loud it is depends on a few things but the most important one is how fast it's spinning.

Back
Top Bottom