Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)

Soldato
If it's anything like the previous games, you start off with the most basic of every single weapon. Weapons are completely different to the point that choosing a weapon could be considered akin to choosing a class in an RPG.

That's what I mean, if it is like choosing a class then need to be very careful in choice as with most RPG's you may be able to change specs of a class but not the class!

Associate
That's what I mean, if it is like choosing a class then need to be very careful in choice as with most RPG's you may be able to change specs of a class but not the class!

You can change your weapon whenever you want though. Heck, in MHW, if you build a weapon and don't like it, you can break it apart into its raw materials and build something else.

Soldato
OP
You cannot change weapon types once selected?

You can swap about as much as you like - it's great :) As exhashdotdot mentioned, changing weapon is like changing class as each weapon has it's own moveset. And there's 14 weapon types in MHW which means oodles of depth as you could master them all or just one. You'll likely find a few that suit your tastes and focus on those. In the last game I was a big fan of the long sword and will likely go for that first this time round.

Soldato
Ah OK got you.

Does weight play a factor like with Dark Souls?

I'm actually pretty hyped for this now. Ordering it today means I'll get it Saturday but at least I can put in some good hours with it then.

Soldato
OP
I'm booked in with the in-laws all bloody weekend so will have to wait until the following to play!

I haven't played MH since the WiiU but am pretty sure weight doesn't play a factor. Big weapons are slow and small ones nippy. It's the movesets that make things interesting - think the Souls games but more varied and involved. The long sword, for example, has a move that's a short dash and a swipe. Time it right as a monster lurches at you and you side step and whack it in the face. It looks and feels great. Likewise with the massive weapons that you can charge up. Unless you're familiar with the enemy you stand a good chance of getting trampled while charging up, but once you get to know how they behave - one might always pause after jumping - and you can time it just right. How monsters behave can also change mid fight. Damage might cause them to get slower, angry, call for help etc which opens up new/different opportunities. It's the combination of all this plus the different weapons that I like most about the combat. I'll stop now before typing myself into a hype frenzy :)

Soldato
I'm booked in with the in-laws all bloody weekend so will have to wait until the following to play!

I haven't played MH since the WiiU but am pretty sure weight doesn't play a factor. Big weapons are slow and small ones nippy. It's the movesets that make things interesting - think the Souls games but more varied and involved. The long sword, for example, has a move that's a short dash and a swipe. Time it right as a monster lurches at you and you side step and whack it in the face. It looks and feels great. Likewise with the massive weapons that you can charge up. Unless you're familiar with the enemy you stand a good chance of getting trampled while charging up, but once you get to know how they behave - one might always pause after jumping - and you can time it just right. How monsters behave can also change mid fight. Damage might cause them to get slower, angry, call for help etc which opens up new/different opportunities. It's the combination of all this plus the different weapons that I like most about the combat. I'll stop now before typing myself into a hype frenzy :)

Good write up thanks! I've just booked Saturday off with my wife - I'm planning on doing nothing but play my new game. I suppose we'll have to shop at some point though.

Soldato
I played it last night, went with the two swords (or whatever they are). I think it tries to be accessible but there is still a lot to learn that it doesn't tell you.

It was only later in the night that it started to click into place for me and I think that will be the case for a while. I'll play online with a mate tonight who knows more about these games and hopefully I'll learn something :)

One thing for sure you could sink a lot of time into this and I think it will be fun!

Soldato
Surprised by how quiet this thread is, from what I've played so far it's really good.

For those who are playing it, how do you level up the hunter rank, is it purely by playing/killing or is it linked to gear. I've put in a few hours and been rank 3 for ages it seems.

Soldato
Iirc hunter rank is just the unlocking of different monster quests as you progress through the game. Monsters seem pretty simple so far. Although I did get 1 hit by the ajanaths fireball attack.

I know it's going to get much harder. But that's part of the fun

Soldato
Mines arriving at local Tesco today. Been interested in the series as it ticks all the boxes but the limitations of the 3ds really held it back for me, especially with controls!
Getting it on xb1

Soldato
8 hours in and having a blast. Really solid game on my PS4 pro. Wouldn't say it was brutal and easy to get into. Would recommend it easily

Associate
Been watching a few videos of this, looks awesome so ordered a copy. Probably won’t arrive until middle of the week so got bit of a wait, but really looking forward to doing some exploring.

Back
Top Bottom