• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA to Unveil "Turing" Consumer Graphics GPU Next Month

Soldato
did state is H2 for gaming cards, just have to wait for vendor road maps to leak ;)

though i hope im wrong and its bought forward :D

though smart move by nvidia, guessing they'll see this direct and cut out 3rd party vendors

Can’t see miners buying it, resell value of a dedicated mining card will be worthless.

Better to stick with gaming GPU’s instead, they hold their value much better. :D

most die before then

Associate
Looking back on Bitcoin and how GPU mining became unviable due to ASICs, perhaps this compute accelerator will be so jam packed with compute power that it makes regular GPU mining unviable on ASIC resistant coins when the difficulty rises. Miners still bought ASICs for bitcoin despite their poorer resale options because the difficulty forced them, the current GPU "mining" editions are just pointless.

Associate
A specific mining GPU??? cant see this being right.

Yes, this news clearly shows that the website don't know what they're talking about. GPU Mining is big since 1 year. Before it was just a small market, after beeing big for some time in 2012. But it takes at least 1 year to design a chip and a second year to get from tapeout to chips on the shelves.
As most people know the turing test, i bet Turing is an AI optimized chip. They have Volta for GPU Training, now they'll make a second gpu for inference.

Soldato
Yes miners do factor in resale value.. Well I do anyway.

Now if they bring out a card that is 2x the mining power of a 1080ti but costs the same and cant game, well then it makes sense to buy the mining card. But that aint gonna happen.

Associate
I can already see what's going to happen here... nVidia will try to milk miners for every penny by pricing Turing at 'mining prices' so that gamers can have the normal GeForce gaming cards.

Miners will look at the price difference and just carry on buying the cheaper gaming cards and nothing will change. Prices will rise and gamers will be **** out of luck again.

Apparently all of these cards, Ampere, Turing et al, are based on the Volta architecture, they haven't made half a dozen new ones to suit the various markets.

Man of Honour
OP

Now if they bring out a card that is 2x the mining power of a 1080ti but costs the same and cant game, well then it makes sense to buy the mining card. But that aint gonna happen.

Mining cards don't really need video outputs so that could be one option.

Soldato
If Nvidia can build an add in card that can hit around 1k hash for sub 50 watts for around £200 they have a market. With the current architecture thats not possible though.

Permabanned
With the link to Alan Turing and cryptanalysis one would think it'll be a better GPU for mining rather than gaming. Probably be castrated too until the Ti version.

I bet you this is Nvidia making out it's for the gamers knowing full well that it'll have mining ability that's as good as it's gaming ability, Then there's the use of the Turing name which will get the miners attention so it's on their radar.

A way to limit a new card to crypto only would be to change the pcie connector to an x1.

That's the wrong way around though, we don't want them to limit the gaming capability (they already did that) it needs to be the mining capability. I doubt any of the part time miners want to buy a card that's got no resale value if mining does crash again and as we saw with the mining edition cards they were no better at mining than the gaming cards so the only changes were less outputs and shorter warranties, they still cost as much as a gaming card, Even the simplest of market analysts would have been able to tell you those cards would have zero impact on how the problem was affecting gaming supplies and there's not a hope in hell that Nvidia & AMD didn't know that going in. They knew that making the mining cards as they were was pointless they just wanted to look like they were trying to do something about it for the gamers. Truth is they don't give a flying squirrel who buys the cards as long as they selling in massive numbers and that isn't to the gamers..

Associate

exactly that. + .....i wonder what warranty it will have lol. 3 months ? Thats not any good

Back
Top Bottom