Ssds in raid 0..format before resale?

Caporegime
I'm stripping down my desktop which I'm selling. I ran the OS off raid 0 ssds

As far as I'm aware I can just sell these individually without formatting as the data is impossible to retrieve from one drive?

Is that the case?

Don
DBAN won't work on SSD's.

Pretty sure it will (as it just writes the whole drive with random data etc) - however it's a bad idea from a write endurance point of view.

Best option is generally to get the manufacturers SSD toolkit and do a secure erase which zeros the drive at a hardware level (without needless burning through write cycles e.g. due to write amplification).

If you want to be absolutely sure then run some recovery software afterwards (e.g. trial of https://www.easeus.com/) and see if it can recover anything.

Associate
If you trim the entire drive it'll wipe all the data. It will be doing this async though. All the chunks will be put on a list to erase. Not sure how long it takes to finish, but it'll be pretty much impossible to recover any data. You'd have to refirmware it in a hurry with a special build and know the internals of that drive. Just trim it and leave it plugged in for an hour if you're paranoid.

Soldato
Pretty sure it will (as it just writes the whole drive with random data etc) - however it's a bad idea from a write endurance point of view.

Best option is generally to get the manufacturers SSD toolkit and do a secure erase which zeros the drive at a hardware level (without needless burning through write cycles e.g. due to write amplification).

If you want to be absolutely sure then run some recovery software afterwards (e.g. trial of https://www.easeus.com/) and see if it can recover anything.

It will work to some extend, but there may occasionally be outliers. Since you know write amplification, you might also know over-provisioning. Some SSDs may have aggressive over-provisioning algorithm, resulting in some logical sectors not being overwritten by one single disk fill.

Thus the most secure way is to execute a secure erase command on the SSD so that each physical sector can be erased.

Back
Top Bottom