Friend online I've known for 1+ year hates me because I spoke his first name

Soldato
Goes the other way. If he was a decent friend and not a complete weirdo he wouldn't throw a hissy fit over someone using his first given name.

Hmm. I think we have different definitions of "hissy fit" then.

From what I see, OP is the one having a hissy fit just because some dude wont be his playmate and play games with him any more.

The other dude has made a simple request "Don't you ever use my name again or I'll delete you". Therefore this other dude clearly 100% rational and has no emotional connection to the friendship, nor the OP and appears to have nothing to lose.

OP on the other hand is clearly severely emotionally distressed at the fact that some dude has stopped playing games with him and is emotional about losing a playmate, he comes across as if he has everything to lose.

Soldato
What I have found with so called online friends is the is no continuity with your relationship with said friend.

Hence I don't do online friends. ;)

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I can see why your 'friend' would be annoyed, I don't like it when people say my real name online on Discord or in game etc. No need for other randoms to know my name.

But a simple word with you to let you know to not do it again would have been sufficient.

Soldato
I've been a moderator in irc channels for probably around 30 years and interacted with a lot of people during that time.

Some people like to keep their real life and online life seperate. Back in the day we only had text chat so it was an easier thing to do. But these days with voice and video chat it is much more difficult for someone to take part in things while also remaining anonymous.

Out of the thousands of people I've interacted with online only about 8 people I still talk to, and most of them are people I went on to meet irl.

From what you have said OP it sounds like the best advice is to move on. You said you played with 2 other people. Just carry on playing with them. This isn't your problem, its that other guys problem.

I used to be very close to someone online for 5 years then suddenly they disappeared. I bumped in to them later on and they had no feelings at all about it. There are a lot of odd balls online. The trick is don't get close to just one person or you will start to rely on them to much and end up being socially isolated until you get new friends.

Man of Honour
Or get close to your own funeral for realising what life is all about and why real friends who come visit your bedside, family and experiences are so vital.

Soldato
OP I can understand why he would be irked at you. He let you know something that other people don't necessarily know and you broke his trust.

The fact that it was his name is irrelevant. It could have been any piece of information he did not want disclosed. You basically took one step forward and two steps back in terms of friendship.

Back
Top Bottom