Critique my Kitchen Designs!

My wife and I looked at the instant boiling water taps but even she was moved to say "Yeah but when it goes wrong it'll be hundreds of pounds to replace. A kettle in a tenner in Tesco. And the water is so hard around here it won't last long enough to recoup the cost, even with the extra convenience" Gotta love a woman who thinks logically. :D

@glitch

I've been reading through a few of your old threads and have now found myself looking at the Faber Veil!

qOSzjBV.png

I kind of agree about your comments on the chimney hood then ruining the aesthetic of it but i don't think it looks too bad as the chimney has an oval shape to it rather than a square box.

Although it's annoying they charge such a premium for the Ltd Edition colours (which i want!)

Either than or one supplier i've just spoken to mentioned that the higher end units actually operate at around 90% in re-circulation mode compared to ducted (although the cheap ones are crap)

Last edited:
For those with a hot water tap. I've been told that i can only use a stainless steel sink with the boiling water tap and also that it doesn't matter and composite sinks would be fine.

I've googled it but can't find any info about it. Has anyone got any knowledge on this?

Ours is fitted in a composite sink and my brother has his on a Belfast sink.
I'd never really thought it could be an issue to be honest.
Did they say what the problem is with not using a stainless steel sink?

It was to do with the constant boiling water hitting the same spot that apparently can cause degradation in some composites.

Obviously it's unlikely that you'd leave it running for a long time so it's probably a none issue but i wanted to see how true it was.

We've got a mixer/boiling tap that moves so it won't be in the same spot all the time but it would be different if it's a fixed version I suppose.
From my research you need to hold/twist/push something to get the boilling water out so you can't leave them running like a normal tap.
I think my brother had a boiling only tap that I think is fixed position over his Belfast sink and its been there at least 5 years without issue.

Spec sheet for my composite sink says heat resistant for 230°C so can't see any issues there, maybe worth checking the spec for whatever sink you're looking at.

Pan drawers and pull/swing out shelving in the cupboards are a must if you've not got wall units - it'll bump the cost a lot though.
Shaker style is a pain to clean. Matt finish plain doors all the way
I'd think about extra lighting, it's easy for your head/body to block spotlights and if you angle them down too much they can dazzle people in the room - that's the big advantage of under-cupboard lighting

Yeah i will but least i can move away from the SS ones.

I've moved up to the Quooker taps and you can actually leave those on boiling so you have 2 hands free for things like filling big pans. Obviously with that the budget is going up further :rolleyes:

Quooker FLex....... Doooooooooooooooooo It!

Got ours from Cooks & Company for a good price, as much as 1.1k is a good price :(

Haha thats the one i just saw in the showroom. The brushed steel version is £1300 by the look of it (£1100 for the chrome)

I think i'm really going to have to cut back on the worktops. Between a £3k quartz i've seen and a £5k quartz that i love, the only difference is the design. The actual product is the same and it's hard to justify as much as i love it.
Have see a few online which look alright at a lower price point so have asked for samples. Have also got samples of a rusty iron looking Dekton which looks nice!

But, just look how pretty this is. It's not too fussy but just has a minimal veiny pattern to break it up.

Silestone-Eternal-Charcoal-Soapstone-Quartz-.jpg

Scary times. Have ordered the kitchen units from DIY Kitchens. They had a 10% off sale on limited designs, one of which was what we were after so have locked that in to secure the discount. They've said i'm free to chop and change the items and/or cancel at anytime since we've not actually got the keys yet.

Worked out at £3100 for the design below. Still waiting on quotes from some other kitchen places so if they can beat it or get close then it might be preferable to get everything together but i'd be surprised if they get close.

Surprisingly i don't plan on having a second levitating hob

olGAhkh.png

D8KMnmn.png

I may potentially add some curved units (either closed or open) to the end of the peninsula unit but will see how it feels when we get in i think and how much space we have in that walkway area.

Also just had a quote of £3600 for the worktops in the Quartz i like. They're based in London though so need to see how much they add on for us northern monkeys. It gives me ammo for negotiation with other suppliers though.

For reference DIY Kitchens quoted £4100 and that was through the online quote system so who knows how accurate that is!

I got my granite separately, from a warehouse containing sheets of huge slabs, was very fun choosing one and lots cheaper than glossy fronted shops (north west too)

Yes granite are supposed to be quite good. We went to see them and the setup was impressive but the kitchen fitters only quoted around £250 on top so if anything goes wrong a little easier to deal with just the one company

Also just had a quote of £3600 for the worktops in the Quartz i like. They're based in London though so need to see how much they add on for us northern monkeys. It gives me ammo for negotiation with other suppliers though.

For reference DIY Kitchens quoted £4100 and that was through the online quote system so who knows how accurate that is!

What unit have you put in the corner? I’m trying to work out how to insert a tall unit in corner and retain the base unit element.

Looks nice and lack of wall units seem to be the trend these days.

Maybe try roccogranite in Glasgow for your quartz. They are quoting me under 3k for silestone quartz 30mm worktops. I have a lot more worktop in my design then yours.

Mayfair quoted me 5k and came down to around 4.4k eventually.

Its a tall corner larder unit. If you ever seen one in person they offer huge amounts of usable space and as soon as I saw it in a showroom I had to get it in.

We have had a quote of 2.3k for silestone 30mm. The issue is the worktop I want is in their “eternal” range with a suede finish. It quickly jumps up!

Back
Top Bottom