mx5, mr2 or mgf

Soldato
i do have a shed for the hard top, mostly it'd be for winter with it living in the shed over summer.

I wouldn’t go out of your way to find a car with one supplied. Especially at the expense of buying a decent one without.

You can’t really take the hard tops off single handedly either. In my experience once the hard top was on, it was on for a few months regardless of the weather. Once it was off, it didn’t get put back on for a while.

Soldato
y2kYGa.jpg

Yup, loved that thing.

Soldato
Mk2 MR-2 if you can find a good one is also a great car. They are starting to increase in value now too. The top spec ones are still quick cars.

Associate
MR2 for me, but then i am a little bias, i have had a MK1, MK2 and driven a MK3. All very good capable cars, a turbo charged MK2 is a awesome machine but can chew you up and spit you eat when you least expect it. Never driven a supercharger MK1, always wanted to but never got round to it. The biggest down side to them is lack of boot space on a mk1 and 2 at least you get a boot on a mk3 you don't.

MX-5 great little car drove my dads old one years ago, great little car and a little more practical then a MR2. They handle very well and can be fun to drive, but i preferred the MR2 for handle and i loved having the engine behind me. Cant comment on a MG-f never driven one.

Soldato
They came with revised pistons from 2003 did they not? Were there further revisions in 2005? Genuine question as I might pick one up for some cheap fun but I don't want another oil burning one.

There are less problems with the facelift cars but they still end up going - from memory there were tweaks to the 2003, 2004 and finally 2005 cars where they finally seemed to sort it.

Given the age of the cars now though it's probably reasonably safe to pick any fscelift one up (at least if it's had the same owner for a few years). Or go the other way and find a dead car then drop in a 2zz - if you have the time and inclination it should be relatively straight forward as a DIY now

Soldato
OP
I wouldn’t go out of your way to find a car with one supplied. Especially at the expense of buying a decent one without.

You can’t really take the hard tops off single handedly either. In my experience once the hard top was on, it was on for a few months regardless of the weather. Once it was off, it didn’t get put back on for a while.

true, although if i was getting without i'd need to factor in the cost of getting it/a cover to the total budget. definately it's a feature i'd consider favourably.

@inflames i see we have a fellow pop-up aficionado :D

Associate
Just my two pence as I've owned a mk3 mr2 for nearly 3 years and I've driven a mk1 mx5 albeit a trapped prepped one pretty extensively on track.

The mr2 is a brilliant road car the front end is much sharper and more pointy than an mx5, couple than with the fact the weight is all in the middle of the car and really does make it feel agile, think budget lotus Elise. However something to go drifting round wet roundabouts it is not, with the engine over the driving wheels it has way more traction than an mx5 but that means you're not wheelspinning out of junctions with the arse out it's not that type of car.

The mx5 on the other hand has a much less pointy front end and at first feels a lot less sporty and go karty when compared to the mr2 however it is superbly balanced and it's so easy and forgiving to oversteer and drive hard near the limits.

Personally as a road car I think the mr2 is unbeatable for the price and it's such a focussed little car that really doesn't get the praise it deserves, the other advantage is they don't rust anything like as bad an an mx5!

However if you're wanting something to learn about sliding around a rwd or want to take it out on track I think the mx5 is the better choice, I actually intend to replace my mr2 with an mx5 for doing mode track work as parts are just so much cheaper for mx5's.

Hope this helps.

Soldato
OP
Well, i pulled the trigger on the mr2, i'm sure most would consider it a bit of a mess as it sits now, but the mechanics feel solid enough and i reckon a bit of a clean up it'll be grand.

I think the bonnet catch is broken, or at least the one in the drivers side is i've yet to check if theres another hidden somewhere. The aerial sounds rough as hell when it extends, but i never listen to normal radio anyway.

Gonna give it a good solid clean, change the gear knob out (not something i normally do but the original has seen better days) and maybe give the oil a change. Dont know if it's had the oil issue fixed so i'll keep an eye on it but this thing isnt going to be asked to do any big milage.

Associate
Well, i pulled the trigger on the mr2, i'm sure most would consider it a bit of a mess as it sits now, but the mechanics feel solid enough and i reckon a bit of a clean up it'll be grand.

I think the bonnet catch is broken, or at least the one in the drivers side is i've yet to check if theres another hidden somewhere. The aerial sounds rough as hell when it extends, but i never listen to normal radio anyway.

Gonna give it a good solid clean, change the gear knob out (not something i normally do but the original has seen better days) and maybe give the oil a change. Dont know if it's had the oil issue fixed so i'll keep an eye on it but this thing isnt going to be asked to do any big milage.

Good choice!

I'd recommend joining the UK Mr2 roadsters owners club if you're on Facebook, it's a very friendly group and there's a wealth of knowledge on there.

Associate
The one in the glove box does the front bonnet.

The one to the right of the driver seat does the rear one, the lock that you use the keys to turn locks the fuel filler cap so no one can nick your petrol if you leave the car with the roof down!

Associate
The MR2 forums are a good place for info and a good bunch of lads, well they use to be when i was frequently visited it. Twobrutal is another forum if you want to see people shoe horn in 3L V6's into an MR2

Soldato
OP
The MR2 forums are a good place for info and a good bunch of lads, well they use to be when i was frequently visited it. Twobrutal is another forum if you want to see people shoe horn in 3L V6's into an MR2

i'll have to check it out, atm it's the usual business of new car figuring out what it has and wether or not that feature works.

Back
Top Bottom