• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To anyone contemplating De-Lid

Soldato
Hey Everyone, anyone who's on the fence about Deliding - Go for it.

I've dropped 23c ( same ambient ) whilst increasing my OC to 5.1ghz ( able to push to 5.2 but happy with 1.38v for 5.1 temps are now solid 68c-70c Full load drop from the 93c on 5ghz

shout out to Awahaw for lending me his delid kit :)

Thermal grizzly and Vital black RTV are the way to go.

end of rant.

Associate
I was going to upgrade to a 8700K but a guy up the road from me did a de-lid on my 6700K for $30 (20quid).
It was at 4.2ghz at around 35/42c idle, now its at 4.5ghz at 28/32 idle with slightly less volts too. I wish i'd done it years ago.

I'll always get my future cpu's delidded!

Don
How much cheaper is the manufacturing process for $400-1200 processors for Intel to use toothpaste when they could make them soldered to begin with?

At least $2-$5 per CPU depending on size of the core. Although it's not just a case of cost, it's actually a fairly difficult process to get a copper heatspreader to "solder" to a silicon core.
http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

EDIT:
The comments from der8auer also go on to explain why intel use the brand of TIM they do as well - largely that although the thermal performance isn't the best, there is no long term degradation (which is essential as you can't expect normal users to replace TIM under the IHS on a regular basis)

Last edited:
Associate
At least $2-$5 per CPU depending on size of the core. Although it's not just a case of cost, it's actually a fairly difficult process to get a copper heatspreader to "solder" to a silicon core.
http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

EDIT:
The comments from der8auer also go on to explain why intel use the TIM they do as well - largely that although the thermal performance isn't the best, there is no long term degradation (which is essential as you can't expect normal users to replace TIM under the IHS on a regular basis)
It makes sense in theory and there only. Sandy bridge chips are still running with decent thermals what 7years later?

Soldato
It makes sense in theory and there only. Sandy bridge chips are still running with decent thermals what 7years later?

I believe it's just Intel fudge dished out by paid Intel hirelings.

I'm running one of their Xeon soldered chips...probably would have been running 24/7 at stock in a server for years, then I'm running it over-volted, overclocked to 4.4Ghz every day for a couple of years absolutely fine.

So eight years on from its release, still running perfectly, and I've had zero degradation that is observable in the time I've had it.

Associate

I'm running one of their Xeon soldered chips...probably would have been running 24/7 at stock in a server for years, then I'm running it over-volted, overclocked to 4.4Ghz every day for a couple of years absolutely fine.

So eight years on from its release, still running perfectly, and I've had zero degradation that is observable in the time I've had it.
Even if there is degredation to a noticeable amount at the 8700k level it would have to get 10-20 degrees worse before it matches the vegetable fat spread that is used instead

Soldato

I know it's a small sample size, but I gotta agree with you there. I've got an i7 920 and a X5670 that are still pushing 4Ghz from launch, great chips.

Don

To some degree it probably is, but I believe there is some truth in it that as die sizes have got smaller, the risk of solder cracking, and the potentially greater risk of the CPU/IHS being distorted whilst soldering (due to smaller contact patch) is greater.

Ryzen is soldered, but is still a larger die (192mm2) than most recent Intel chips (Sandy 216mm2 -> Ivy 160mm2, Haswell 177mm2, Skylake 122.4mm2)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9505/skylake-cpu-package-analysis

Soldato
Intel's HEDT line has a large die area, and that stil0l has toothpaste under the hood.

Still think it's because some Intel exec done the maths and saw dollar signs in savings. :D

Soldato
One thing to note is that delidding's main benefit is correcting the imperfect contact between die and IHS. Some CPUs have nice even contact and some don't, resulting in uneven heat dissipation. Ever seen a CPU where two cores are about 10-15 degrees hotter than the other two? Probably uneven IHS contact. So delidding needn't be done on every single CPU, but should be an option once you've got your parts and tested them. There are people who bin chips based on this variation, rather than delidding.

I'm convinced that the TIM/IHS contact can be disturbed through stress too, I've seen chips that seem to have become awful which were then improved by a delid.

Soldato
Seems to be varying opinions online on how often to change Thermal grizzly ranging from 1year to never.

:rolleyes: :)
I've seen that the Coollaboratory product available before Conductonaut seemed to dry out, so I think people still believe that's a risk. The people I've seen using Conductonaut seem to believe it's fine for ages. Personally I glued my IHS back on and will treat it as a stock CPU, only taking it apart to re-paste if it stops performing.

Back
Top Bottom