advice for SSD "setup" in new PC

Associate
Heya. I'm currently trying to figure out which parts to use in a new gaming / photo video editing PC.

According to Adobe forum discussions, it is highly adviced to have a hard drive setup like this to get the best and quickest workflow for video editing:

SSD 1: OS + Programs
SSD 2: Project media (After finishing the project it can be moved to a storage disk)
SSD 3: Cache, temp adobe stuff.

Currently, I have ended up with "wanting" two of the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD
I therefore need a third SSD, which has to be SATA connection. I'm thinking about this one: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD.

My questions are:
Is 500GB enough for OS and programs/games? I will probably only play PUBG and BF1,2,4.
Will I see any difference if I put all my games on the SSD 2 or SSD 3 disk?

Should I use the Samsung 860 EVO disk as system disk, or is 550/520 R/W speed to slow?

Soldato
The third drive doesn't need to be SATA you can just get an M.2 to PCI-E 4x adapter card, or if your board supports Bifurcation on one of the 16x PCI-e slots, and it is running at a full 16x lanes, not being segmented by the chip-set you could use something like the Asus Hyper M.2 4-way card, or the ASRock equivalent and have all three drives installed onto it, then slotted in.

Link to the Asus - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/overview/

Link to the ASROck one - https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=ULTRA QUAD M.2 CARD

Here's the little one that just does one drive. https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER_M2_X4_MINI_CARD/

500GB is fine for hte OS, but TBH I'd be looking at the ADATA SX8200 as a boot drive for the faster 4k speeds, and the other two drive as 970 EVO's. :)

Associate
OP
I know nothing about SSD disks, so could you please explain what you mean with "faster 4k speeds"?
I see that the specs is 3050/1700 R/W, versus EVO 970 3400/2300. There is only one store in Norway that has that SSD, and it's a little bit cheaper than the 970 EVO when adding freight cost.

Nice tip using a adapter card. I didn't know that existed. I will probably end up with a ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero, Socket-1151. I don't know if it supports Bifurcation?

Associate
Sata3 is usually more than quick enough for most tasks anyway, just put the games or cache on it and it will be fine.
That said i would prob just stick the video files being worked on, on a cheeper larger sized ssd.

You want the OS and apps on a nice fast m2 drive, after that i doubt you really will see a massive difference.

Soldato
I know nothing about SSD disks, so could you please explain what you mean with "faster 4k speeds"?
I see that the specs is 3050/1700 R/W, versus EVO 970 3400/2300. There is only one store in Norway that has that SSD, and it's a little bit cheaper than the 970 EVO when adding freight cost.

Nice tip using a adapter card. I didn't know that existed. I will probably end up with a ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero, Socket-1151. I don't know if it supports Bifurcation?

The drive that has the operating system on, will typically be doing a lot more I/O (input/ouput) operations on it, and most of those will be smaller read/writes for several different programs, operating system functions, and such all at the same time. The 4K read/write speeds are most important as these represent the most real world application on a O/S disk, the 970 EVO with a 4K Q1T1 (queues/threads) speed of <50 MB/s on the larger 1TB capacity, and less on the 500GB, the ADATA SX8200 does somewhere between 65-80MB/s on the same test, so it can be as much as 50% faster than the 970 EVO in some instances.

Back
Top Bottom