• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD r9 280x driver issues for months

Associate
basically about to remove my r9 280x as I know it's a old card but I believe I've tried all possible ways online to try and rectify the intermittent black screen crashes.

Over the last few days after finally setting my pc back up I've tried once again removing drivers and installing the latest and previous drivers but still intermittent crashing and fails to load any games.

Anyone experiencing these problems and have a solutions or do I just move over to nvidia and upgrade which I can't currently justify until I know I have tried everything.

Thanks

Associate
I had similar, when starting up as well.. i moved to a 1080ti... (not because of it by the way) and... it was just as bad.
I recon it was win10 and its dislike of .. er everything, even when reinstalled from scratch. doesnt do it often now, maybe 1 time in 10 for boot, maybe its my old x99 board.. maybe updates fixed it.. or maybe its just 10 being.. 10.

But its not an AMD drivers issue... i can tell you that.

Associate
OP
I'm running windows 7 so was wondering whether it maybe a direct eleven issue as windows ten runs direct twelve ? I'm surprised amd havnt got hold of the issue as I've seen so much of it spoken about on various forums and no solution

Soldato
basically about to remove my r9 280x as I know it's a old card but I believe I've tried all possible ways online to try and rectify the intermittent black screen crashes.

Over the last few days after finally setting my pc back up I've tried once again removing drivers and installing the latest and previous drivers but still intermittent crashing and fails to load any games.

Anyone experiencing these problems and have a solutions or do I just move over to nvidia and upgrade which I can't currently justify until I know I have tried everything.

Thanks

Your card is slowly failing, simple as that. :)

You can do the good old oven trick on it to try and "re-flow" the solder on the BGA's as you might have some micro-fractures in the GPU or RAM soldering causing the issue. 9/10 times this will fixed your card, either a:) forever, b:) for about 6-12 months, or c:) a month or less.

Pretty easy to do, and not much to lose if you are buying a new card anyhow, if you get stuck go watch a few Youtube videos, personally, I just take the heatsink and fan off and all the plastic parts off, and put it in the oven for 15 mins on 200c, then let it cool for 30mins or so.

If you are scared of trying that first, you can take it apart, re-apply new thermal paste to the GPU, make sure the RAM thermal pads have good contact, and re-flash the BIOS on the card for good measure. :)

Soldato

Thanks

Fans. My mate had the same issues earlier in June. The fans were dead. Replaced them and all working again.
You will find that 80% of the cases when a card suddenly dies is the fans not the card, as they have the tendency to sort the board.

Associate
OP
Fans. My mate had the same issues earlier in June. The fans were dead. Replaced them and all working again.
You will find that 80% of the cases when a card suddenly dies is the fans not the card, as they have the tendency to sort the board.
Ill double check but ive had the side cover off for some time yesterday and i never noticed the fans stopping and also checking GPU monitoring software now they seem to be running. Ill keep a eye on them !

Soldato
Ill double check but ive had the side cover off for some time yesterday and i never noticed the fans stopping and also checking GPU monitoring software now they seem to be running. Ill keep a eye on them !

Is 5y old card. Maybe check it's temps using the driver overlay? (ctrl+shift+O)
Imho I would have had replaced thermal paste and pads after all those years of usage.

Associate
OP
Is 5y old card. Maybe check it's temps using the driver overlay? (ctrl+shift+O)
Imho I would have had replaced thermal paste and pads after all those years of usage.

funny you should mention thermal paste ive just put a new thermal cooler in yesterday on my cpu ! ill have a look for a break down video for the r9 280x unless you can show me one ?

Associate
OP
roll back your drivers to 18.3.1 or 18.3.3 ..
like you I'm pushing a 290 .. and wont pay silly money to get a new card .. prices should sort themselves out in a few more months
like whats been said paste had to stop o/c mine as heat was to much and I'm on water

Ive never really done any sort of heavy gaming BF4 on medium settings and a few sim games and never got into over clocking. Is there any sort of guide on how to revert back to previous drivers and making sure the existing ones are properly got rid of ?

Soldato
What makes you believe its a driver issue? It's an old GPU, maybe the GPU is simply dying?
So do you have another PC at a friend's house you could test the GPU on?

A black screen crash is the GPU loosing power, does the fan spin 100% when the crash happens? If so it could also be crashing by over heating.

Associate
OP
What makes you believe its a driver issue? It's an old GPU, maybe the GPU is simply dying?
So do you have another PC at a friend's house you could test the GPU on?

A black screen crash is the GPU loosing power, does the fan spin 100% when the crash happens? If so it could also be crashing by over heating.
The fans spin and after yesterday I've tried all sorts of drivers and replacing thermal paste I think it maybe dead.

Back
Top Bottom