My eBike build (very, very pic heavy)

Don
I have Multiple Sclerosis but I also love cycling. This causes me a bit of a problem as when exhaustion hits, it hits hard. I decided to convert my Saracen Ariel 3 to electric.
t4nOUeN.jpg

After considering various hub motors and the BBS01/02 range, I eventually settled on the BBSHD as having sufficient power for climbing hills when towing my son on his tag-along.
6PmTH58.jpg

After doing lots of reading, I discovered that the BBSHD has a very large secondary recution gear casing that can cause some issues with fitment on bikes with wide chainstays. My bike is by no means a fat-bike but after taking advice I figured it was best to measure it. The secondary reduction gear is 68mm in radius. This picture is from another poster illustrating the issue.
PooScpO.jpg

Hmm, it's not going to fit. It would be fouling the chainstay.
TEUHlpi.jpg

That's about how far I would need to offset the BBSHD to clear the chainstay.
CXpj6Oi.jpg

My BB is 68mm so I would need a BBSHD capable of fitting a 72mm BB as a bare minimum. Probably more like 75mm to give some clearance. This means getting the next size of BBSHD up.
0T3gSYI.jpg

After taking some advice from the guys on the ever useful Pedelecs forum, I decided that a change of frame would be a better idea. So, armed with a shortlist of frames that I knew people had had success with I scoured eBay. Enter a 2009 Felt Compulsion 2 with knackered Equilink bearings.
mkyJgoh.jpg

Loads of clearance here.
deksF24.jpg

The first job was to sort out the bike's knackered bearings. I ordered a full set as well as a service kit for the shock and for my Rockshox Revelation forks. I didn't order the stupidly expensive Felt installation kit for the bearings, figuring I could MacGyver something up.
loX48gk.jpg

Some threaded rod and various sockets and nuts work well as bearing pullers and presses. This is the Equilink bar.
0U400RV.jpg

Chainstays removed.
EMOMNoe.jpg

More sockets, spanners, bolts, and nuts to remove the old bearings.
wVIk6AQ.jpg

In reverse to install the new ones. I used the old bearings as the washers for the makeshift press.
J9A4mZr.jpg

Another franken-puller. I knew there was a use for all of those imperial sockets I never use!
xQ2dAo4.jpg

More bearings being installed.
I didn't photograph the fork and shock rebuilds as my hands were covered in suspension oil and float fluid. It was pretty easy TBH. The only issue I had was the initial seal kit I'd ordered for the Revelations was the wrong one.
RvvgrQA.jpg

The first Issue I had with the new frame was that the triangle was too small to fit any of the off-the-shelf dolphin or shark packs easily. I decided to build my own pack because I'd never done it before and I like making things hard for myself.
First I laid the frame on some cardboard and drew the triangle. Sorry for the crappy picture.
00R58AP.jpg

I cut out the cardboard and laid it on some MDF board.
IjhLpIp.jpg

And made a jig for my battery box.
yjQLnpg.jpg

I used acrylic sheet to make the edges of the triangle box. I wanted to do it this was so I could make some nice curves for the corners. Sharp edges are going to be dangerous. I used some 2.5" waste pipe for the radius jig and my toaster to heat the acrylic.
L3ZdrXl.jpg

There we go. Corners all made. Just need to cut the excess off and glue it.
gz4gjLt.jpg

I love this stuff. I used 3mm ply-wood for the sides of the box. Mainly for strength and also because it's what I had lying around. I sealed it with marine primer and plastidip coating.
tBxqOkI.jpg

On to the battery. I wanted to go for a 52V system for the extra power it offers. I wasn't too fussed about range so initially decided on a 14S4P system (56 x 18650 cells). After drawing up the battery box in LibreCAD I saw that I could easily fit 70 cells in for the 14S5P system and so went for this instead. Mainly due to it putting less stress on individual cells.
EvCqXsp.png

This is the BMS I'm using. I know very little about these things but this one was recommended on the Pedelecs forum. I defer to their superior knowledge.
38cyiLq.jpg

I ordered 74 (I figured correctly that I would destroy a few) Samsung 30Q (3000mAh 20A) cells from nkon.nl and laid them out with the BMS in the partially finished battery case. This is the arrange ment I settled on. However in the final build I rotated the 2 groups at the bottom of the triangle by 90 degrees.
vhEOaUg.jpg

I need to weld 70 x 18650 batteries together in a 14S4P configuration. I could just buy a battery welder but where's the fun in that? And, like I said before, I like making things hard for myself.
This is my circuit design. I'm going to use a motorcycle battery, a starter solenoid, and a time-delay relay.
oMdKV0v.png

Bike battery. A cheapo NP17-12 but should be good for 200 amps.
g6d0TDr.jpg

Solenoid. I'm hoping it can cope with the 200 amps or so I will be drawing for 0.1s but if it can't I'll bag a bigger one.

Post script: It couldn't and lasted about 10 welds. I bagged a much bigger one that continued working.
J6AlT09.jpg

Heads cut off some copper nails. These will act as the electrodes.
6BRVQiB.jpg

I figured I couldn't just have the battery floating around on the bench. I threw together a base.
KiFZFha.jpg

Hole for the momentary button.
iaImAik.jpg

Here's the timer circuit. Pretty inexpensive little thing. I can stay closed from between 0.15s and 1 hour. We're going to use the 0.15s setting.
This is the relay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-Delay-Relay-250v-AC-Turn-on-Delay-Turn-off-Switch-Module-with-Timer-UK/332588356826?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
b8gr0gd.jpg

I wanted to test the two relays so wired them together and yes, they work.
uDP3j5T.jpg

I used a small piece of steel bar to hand the solenoid from the battery. The other wire is the +ve connection for the coil side of the solenoid.
8WYPSGh.jpg

It works!
Here's a vid of it working:

Parts list:Momentary push button:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AW4FS00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Starter solenoid:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015H1URDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Copper nails:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MK9AUR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heavy-duty cable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KM5MNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NP17-12 12V battery:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuasa-NP17-12-Rechargeable-lead-acid-battery-12-volt-17Ah/162894646918?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

60A choc-block
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Way-Connectror-Strip-3A-60A-Electrical-Chock-Block-Wire-Terminal-Connection/123000115084?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=423441514332&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Timer relay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-Delay-Relay-250v-AC-Turn-on-Delay-Turn-off-Switch-Module-with-Timer-UK/332588356826?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IYsnWQG.jpg

I set about welding my cells together.
yQiBNei.jpg

Gradually adding them in groups of 5 and using hot-glue to hold the pack together.
EgzNMLz.jpg

Unfortunately, I blew a hole through the -ve terminal of a couple of cells but didn't notice until I'd added several more to the pack. This meant that I had to cut the bad cells out and re-do the welding. Good practice I guess for when I have to do it when a cell fails naturally.
G4H3xdi.jpg

More added.
leyidzW.jpg

Pack finished and checking the voltage. 51.1V. Spot on as when I measured each cell individually they were coming out at 3.65V each which is the normal storage voltage for 18650s. Fully charged they will be 4.2V giving 58.8V.
RaM6NMP.jpg

Soldered the balance wires from the BMS to each cell group on the top.
Pz54jD5.jpg

And then the rest on the bottom.
rB3nmHH.jpg

I cracked out the 60V PSU to give the pack its first charge. Only up to 4.1V per cell to start with. This was pretty scary to be honest.
qhJWHca.jpg

Heat-shrink on.
1KdMiTc.jpg

YES! IT FITS!.
I routed some grooves at the top of the battery box to attach Velcro straps for additional security. The other thing you can just see at the bottom of the box is a LunaCycle power switch. I didn't like the idea of having a massive battery without a power switch and this one is fully solid state.
XY7WI2E.jpg

To finish off the box I cut some acryclic sheet to mount to the sides. This is transparent and the same colour as the bike. It looks quite nice I think. The Seakon connector you see on the right is the charging port. I like Speakon connectors because you can't wire them backwards and they are very hard wearing.
0VymFb8.jpg

This is the charging cable. A Speakon connector on one end and an XT90AS on the other.
wBESvPC.jpg

Battery built, I turned my attention to the bike and had a go at a test fit of the BBSHD. It fitted really well.
KMoIbNI.jpg

Chainline looks OK but it was throwing the chain when on the largest rear cog. This means that I need to get the chain a bit closer in to the BB. I cracked out the angle grinder and took 2mm off the BB on the chain side. This brought the chain back in line and now all gears can be used. I also mounted a gutted front deraileur that was set to a fixed position to help if there was any chance of the chain coming off. Pics later on of the final chainline.
UBxjAyl.jpg

Doh! Bringing the BBSHD closer in had the effect of making the sprocket foul the chainstay. Oh well, a little time with the angle grinder soon sorted that issue out.
oBxhE9Q.jpg

There we go. That part of the chainstay was additional external strengthening. I've not cut in to the tube.
mBjKLl6.jpg

Bike on the stand. You can see here that I've flipped the shock upside down. This gives a little more room for the battery box.
vIGFypk.jpg

Battery out of the box and box mounted to the bike. It fits nice and snug. This was a test to see where I can route all my wires.
Run5iFo.jpg

Other side of the bike showing the battery box, power switch, and charging port. I have a waterproof cover to go over the charging port.
A0v3EDq.jpg

I wanted a more accurate measurement of how much current I was pulling from the battery as well as a more accurate voltmeter (the BBSHD doesn't read above 56V). I had one of these knocking around from testing current draw of multicopters. It seemed to fit the bill.
0vYf2pe.jpg

I knocked up a quick bracket to mount the watt meter to the stem. A bit of nylon block, some bolts, and some ally.
SM0Iupk.jpg

Mounted on the stem. There is Velcro under the meter but I added a couple of cable ties for extra security.
8aRSpyA.jpg

I flipped the display 180 degrees on its mount. This makes it stick out a bit more but gave me more space to mount the watt meter.
G2M53V4.jpg

Battery fitted inside the box and starting to connect cables.
K8JT2Wx.jpg

Next up was to fit the brake cutouts. I have hydraulic brakes and so had to use a different kit rather than the levers that come with the BBSHD. The kit comprises of a small magnet and a hall sensor. I drilled a hole in the lever to bolt the magnet.
vzD0Fd9.jpg

Fitted.
Zievh4B.jpg

There we go. pretty much all finished. I just need to use some cable sheathing on the power wires to tidy it up and we're good to go.
I weighed the bike as it is and it came in at 25.1kg which is lighter than I was expecting. Weight is very well centralised and so it does actually feel like a bicycle to wheel about, rather than a top-heavy monster.
zNYI01H.jpg

First power on. Yes, I know the chain and pedals are missing. I figured it was best to test it without the possibility of it spinning the back wheel at 50mph and destroying the bike and bike stand.
You can see here the arrangement of the various controls on the bars. I opted to mount the throttle on the left bar, mainly due to space issues on the right with the gear selector pod. The controls for the BBSHD are also mounted on the left bar. The lever above them is the lockout for my forks which I flipped upside down to give me more space. The rubber thing on the right is the mount for my front light.
https://i.imgur.com/Pg3bQCQ.mp4

Chainline is OK. Not the best but good enough that it’s not going to throw the chain in 1st.
F0bbXcY.jpg

Video of the shifting. I can use all 9 gears. My wheel isn't bent by the way. It's the tyre. New ones on the way.

Cables wrapped up.
Ot6GJCq.jpg

Mudguard on
uigNeiD.jpg

Ready to go.

It rides beautifully. Loads of power. I'd say it's got significantly more power than your average 50cc scooter. It's very smooth too with its power delivery. I've yet to ride it in anger or for any distance but will be doing so in the coming weeks. I'll post up some video of my thoughts another time.
A1fgOM4.jpg

Last edited:
Don
OP
Excluding the donor bike this cost me about £1000. £600 of that was the motor system with the rest made up by battery cells, power supplies, cables, materials and other stuff.
However, I used some of the most durable and expensive components on the market. If you want to do it more cheaply then a hub motor or one of the lower powered BBS motors will run you about £300 bringing the total down to £700 ish.

Don
OP
Because I love the feel of a full-sus. I tried riding a hard tail again recently and I just didn’t like it.

I know a hard tail would have been a heck of a lot easier to convert. However when people started telling me that I shouldn’t convert a full-sus because it’s too hard to do, I saw that as a challenge. I like a challenge.

Soldato
Your rear shock is now installed upside down, did you do this deliberately for clearance? It won't be lubing itself in that config.
Keep an eye on your rear rim, you'll be putting out a lot more torque/power now and I'd be wary of those CB wheels.

Don
OP
It is for clearance yes. I'm going to see if I can flip it the right way up for the reasons you suggest. I need to do some messing about with the box to do this though.
I agree about the wheels. Looking to get some new ones as soon as I can. These have Presta valves which I hate so looking to go to some Schrada valved items.

Any suggestions on wheels? Not too fussed about weight. Cost will be the most important thing along with strength. Also need a new cassette as 9th is kind of too low with this setup.

Soldato
Wheels - low cost and high strength means more weight, but that’s not really an issue with that motor :p Downhill specific wheels will probably be more suitable.

Soldato
They do look like fun. What's with the unusual tilted saddle position as it looks like you'd continually need to shift your weight back to accommodate for that level of tilt?

Back
Top Bottom