My eBike build (very, very pic heavy)

Don
OP
I've covered about 150 miles on it so far. Range seems to be 40 miles ish which is fine for what I want.
The only problem I have is that the gearing is now too low for the power of the motor. I've just built a new rear wheel with a Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 3-speed cassette hub which should get me -33%/0%/+33% ratio. It was the first time I've ever built a wheel. I went with a 36 spoke, 3-cross lacing pattern using 2mm double butted spokes. It was pretty easy TBH and I'm not sure where all the stuff about it being a black art comes from. You just need patience.
After the success of the rear wheel I built a front one too with the same lacing pattern. Going for strength rather than weight.

Soldato
Very nice. I like the battery box you've made.

I intend in making similar but have decided to use vruzend caps. Taking a while to save up for the batteries though. I can fit 91 in my triangle so will order 100 as bound to get a couple of duds.
£50 for 10 aint cheap !!

I also need a quick release side panel to get the battery out as I charge it at work in the office !

I'm debating going up from 48v to 60v.

I agree with you re: Full suspension. Hard tail really jars your body.

Caporegime
Very nice build, looks very hardy which I think you really need with an ebike, they're subject to harsher forces and working conditions than a standard road bike. I like something with a decent suspension and tyres like you've got.

Don
OP
Very nice. I like the battery box you've made.

I intend in making similar but have decided to use vruzend caps. Taking a while to save up for the batteries though. I can fit 91 in my triangle so will order 100 as bound to get a couple of duds.
£50 for 10 aint cheap !!

I also need a quick release side panel to get the battery out as I charge it at work in the office !

I'm debating going up from 48v to 60v.

I agree with you re: Full suspension. Hard tail really jars your body.

Make sure you use the Vruzend V2. The V1.5 are only good at 3.5A per cell which is not enough for an ebike unless you're going like 8 cell parallel. The V2s can take 15A.
Get batteries from nkon.nl. About £3.20 for Samsung 30Q 18650s. I bought mine from there.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nice build :)

FYI to anyone considering a frame for Bafang BBS drives, Mondraker frames use standard 73mm BB's with plenty of clearance around the chain stays and room for 2.6 tyres. If you use an XL frame, you can even squeeze the battery pack inside the triangle. Unfortunately mine's a large so not quite enough room.

bzQxPtB.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for that link Rilot. Just saved over £100

Subtotal €309.92 EUR
Postage and packaging €9.50 EUR
Tax €67.08 EUR
Total €386.50 EUR
Payment €386.50 EUR
Description Unit price Qty Amount

Sanyo NCR18650GA 3350mAh - 10A x100
Item Number 18650ga 309.92 EUR 1 €309.92 EUR

Back