• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
If the performance of these cards justified the price increase, Nvidia would be showing of all the performance number's you could ever want. The fact that there is no performance information tells you everything you need to know about these cards.

But they never release number's they just say is X faster then this card from the previous gen, which they have done just with ray tracing so until there are some real benchmarks I wont worry, if they come out and show bad performance then I will ;0

Soldato
If the performance of these cards justified the price increase, Nvidia would be showing off all the performance number's you could ever want. The fact that there is no performance information tells you everything you need to know about these cards.
Reasonable assertion.
I wonder if you will be quoted again once the benchmarks are out?

2080ti

Soldato
Going to be pretty amusung if AMD cards do Raytracing better then the non Raytracing Nvidia cards.

Edit:NM it may be hardware locked anyway.

I know this thread moving fast and you have missed my post from few pages back.

Nvidia Ray Tracing is restricted on the Gimpworks (truly now it gets deserves this name), and for Titan V/2070/2080/Ti (or better).

AMD RadeonRays 1 & 2 (released 2013 & 2018), support anything make from Hawaii onwards.
Also AMD has a nice very detailed documentation how to program efficiently RadeonRays on the CUDA cores also if someone wishes to implement the technology to Kelper, Maxwel, Pascal.

And I bet in few weeks AMD will release an update how to implement RadeonRays on the Turing architecture. As they have done for all the OpenGPU technologies.....

Caporegime
I thought this ray tracing was only for the 20 series, so those who don't have an RTX 20 card, will just have the ray tracing option greyed out in the games options, so won't be able to turn it on, as can't do it ?

You can but since the 2070 is 10 times faster at ray tracing than a titan pascal xp and the 2080ti can only do ray tracing at 30fps at 1080p, I guess you will be able to switch it on and run at 10fps or less

Permabanned
These cards have to offer mega performance or they aren't premium products.

That die is huge! I'm pretty sure that top's Hawaii in size.

Yeah, but the tensor cores and rt cores are separate cores... they take up more space because they're effectively tagged on adjacent/integrated with the main die of what we would usually expect to be a GPU.

Like Intel 8700k... also has a GPU on the chip, with the CPU.

Caporegime
So basically nV have done exactly the same as AMD did, despite having billions more R&D money. Which is to make an AI/Pro card, and then attempt to re-purpose that same card/architecture for gaming.

Rather than making a true gaming card.

Back
Top Bottom