RSS Warning : Fortnite is Being Blamed For a Rising Number of UK Divorces

Associate
Gaming still has a massive stigma attached to it and rightly or wrongly, many women consider men who play video games to be losers (even though some of those said women will sit and watch trash TV all evening whilst permanently scrolling through Facebook).

The article doesn’t seem to be entirely accurate but if I’m being honest I could understand anyone wanting a divorce if their partner spent a good chunk of every day being rather irresponsible with their time.

I agree with this. My girlfriend always thinks it's nerdy to sit at a pc and game, especially with a headset on to talk to my friends and game. When I used to argue my case that she spends hours on candy crush, and so has no real weight in what she was saying, it got to the point she stopped playing candy crush to prove a point, but she's back on it now since i never gwme up gaming to do the same. There was a point where all I did want to do was play games and not spend time with my partner but as others said, there were underlying issues with our relationship and gaming was the easiest way to escape out the way and avoid a night arguing.

Everything is okay in moderation. People don't have to enjoy the same things. Gaming does have a stigma of being a socially reclusive, nerdy hobby. My girlfriend has come round loads to me gaming - more so recently. She didn't agree with how much I spent on a VR headset and thought it was a waste of money, but when I argued she went to benidorm this year with the girls and really had no say what I spend my spare money on she didn't say another thing.
She wouldn't even give it a try, still hasn't but after seeing my parents have a go and love it, as well as my sister and also having 3 of my friends round for a VR night shes stopped looking at me so strangely when I use it :D

Soldato
I don't know about divorces but i cant believe the number of young kids playing fortnight. last we i was stood waiting for my son to walk out of the school gates and a group of parents waiting for their kids in the same class - parents you would think would know better i should add - and were all talking about their kids playing fortnight. My son is 7 :/ All he ever goes on about is football and fortnite, and he's never played the game!

Soldato
The problem here is the interactive nature of these popular games. You are not just playing the machine, you are playing other people and that makes it much more difficult to just pause/save the game and go and do something else.

(The modern "Checkpoint" method for saving progress is also an issue that could put a strain on relationships, though not a severe as one.)

It isnt the game that is the problem, it is the "Go away, I am Busy" that is the problem. Especially if it goes on for many hours at a time.

Man of Honour
Gaming still has a massive stigma attached to it and rightly or wrongly, many women consider men who play video games to be losers

It’s not just women who think along those lines, although to be absolutely fair, I’ve never remotely considered playing them, and don’t know anyone who does.
There again, I read a lot of non fiction books on European and American 19th century history, maybe in some people’s eyes, that makes me a loser.

Soldato
One of my friends has to sit and watch TV programs with his wife on an evening when he wants to play video games with the rest of us, poor guy.

Associate
One of my friends has to sit and watch TV programs with his wife on an evening when he wants to play video games with the rest of us, poor guy.

Guy needs to man up. Understandable if he enjoys watching them but he should ask his wife to sit and watch him play games to see how she feels. Think it's healthy for a relationship for people to sometimes do their own thing within reason and not have to be with each other at every opportunity

Caporegime

Two TV's + Sky Q solves this problem.

If someone asked me to play multiplayer games, I ask my wife to watch her **** upstairs in the bedroom whilst I put some headphones on and use the lounge TV.

Soldato
Gaming still has a massive stigma attached to it and rightly or wrongly, many women consider men who play video games to be losers (even though some of those said women will sit and watch trash TV all evening whilst permanently scrolling through Facebook).

The article doesn’t seem to be entirely accurate but if I’m being honest I could understand anyone wanting a divorce if their partner spent a good chunk of every day being rather irresponsible with their time.

Depends on how old you are I suppose. I'm 25 and no one my age has ever looked down on me for gaming. It's so common it's like looking down on someone for watching football.

Soldato
Guy needs to man up. Understandable if he enjoys watching them but he should ask his wife to sit and watch him play games to see how she feels. Think it's healthy for a relationship for people to sometimes do their own thing within reason and not have to be with each other at every opportunity

He doesn't mind watching the TV programs by all accounts, but his preference would be to play games. Personally I don't watch TV, I sit and play games on an evening. My girlfriend is happy to watch Netflix and browse eBay as she sells quite a bit as her hobby.

Associate
My wife would rather i played games if she is trying to watch whatever crappy reality series or the shed load of period dramas, as she doesn't enjoy it when she can see i'm bored to tears. She tried when we first got married to stop me playing in the evenings, so all i did was say that if i had to watch her programs then she had to watch mine, she didn't even make it to 3 episodes of Stargate Atlantis before she decided me doing some gaming of an evening was definitely the lesser of two evils :D.

Soldato
It's not the fault of the game, it's the fault of the person being a crappy partner.

As usual, its always somebody/something else's fault and never their own.

Soldato
It's not the fault of the game, it's the fault of the person being a crappy partner.

As usual, its always somebody/something else's fault and never their own.

Are they necessarily being crappy partner for doing something they enjoy? Maybe they're playing games to the point of neglecting their partner, maybe their relationship has other problems and the blame is being put on the game. Maybe their partner has unreasonable expectations that the vast majority of their free time should be spent entertaining them

Soldato
I think people need balance in a relationship.

You will probably find that a lot of these "men" have actually never fully grown up and accepted responsibility for things that adults have to do
like giving the partner some attention, and instead spend 4/5/6/7 nights a week playing a game.
And I'm not saying that men who play video games aren't grown up before someone jumps on that bandwagon.

I don't game so much these days but I know my partner got annoyed when GTA V came out, she bought the game for me, and I played it a LOT.

Back
Top Bottom