Best Handheld Ever - Opinions?

Soldato
Absolute best handheld console, without a doubt, is the Nvidia Shield Portable. I've owned pretty much every handheld console over the years, and this one shines above them all.

Caporegime
Too many metrics which could be used to define "Best".

I currently own a large collection of handhelds covering most produced, the original Gameboy is a pig to play now, the Pocket or Colour are useless without a back-light, the Gameboy Light screen is still rubbish, the Neo Geo Pocket and Pocket Colour are hard to play but i like the controls, the Lynx and Game Gear standard screens suck and suck battery life too, stuff like the Wonderswan isn't even in for a shout.

Gameboy Advanced, Micro and SP start to look better than the above, never got along with the DS, PSP is OK but dislike the controls.

The Switch is without a doubt better than all the above, but how do you define best? Most powerful?

On reflection i think the "best ever" has to be a Nintendo handheld, the Gameboy Advanced SP got a lot of things right (despite being a hard shape to hold).

Associate
OP
i guess by best i mean which had the most impact for you for the games playing on that machine, ok the Gameboy Advance covers the Gameboy and Gameboy Colour but would you still be saying Gameboy Advance if if couldnt do that?

Tho if we are including the switch in this then switch wins hands down but i was talking more retro haha

Soldato
game & watch for me :) complete nostalgia choice admittedly but they were jus so much fun whether it was the original single screen or latter double /fold in half ones , I had a gba and PSP later (and Switch now) - but G&W were excellent

Soldato
For the memories it has to be the gameboy colour, 100s of hours into Pokemon and Zelda can’t be beaten.

As an adult collecting and playing now it’s the Neo Geo pocket colour, everything on it is a bucket of fun, with so much charm and imagination. Such a shame snk went under before they could get more into the console

Man of Honour
I have been buying up a few PSP games and it stands the test of time games wise even today. Without question the Switch is the best device yet, but I think the PSP was great in it's time even if I don't seem to remember it as a massive success(?).

Soldato
In terms of sheer number of games available it has to go to the n3DS. Has the ability to play NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS and n3DS titles, literally every main line Pokemon game. In terms of changing the game however it has to be the Switch.

Associate
215px-Game-Boy-FL.jpg

Soldato
GameGear even if it eats batteries and is chunky :p.
I had a Game Gear in 1992.
I was recently watching a retro Youtube channel which had the Bad Influence re-run TV show from late 1992 where they were testing battery life in handhelds from the time : Original Gameboy, Lynx, GG and one other older one. The Game Gear came out worst, costing £4 per hour to run on batteries, compared to 20p for the Gameboy :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom