Best Handheld Ever - Opinions?

Soldato
Stock standard as intended, it has to be the Gameboy Advance SP AGS101 version - Small, backlit colour screen, plays GB, GBC and GBA cartridges.

If you want to defy Nintendo though, and start adding flash carts so you get all the NES games on top of the above, then the range of additional games playable on the DS trumps the lot. I'd go with the DS Lite, for the massive battery runtime.

Associate
OP
Stock standard as intended, it has to be the Gameboy Advance SP AGS101 version - Small, backlit colour screen, plays GB, GBC and GBA cartridges.

If you want to defy Nintendo though, and start adding flash carts so you get all the NES games on top of the above, then the range of additional games playable on the DS trumps the lot. I'd go with the DS Lite, for the massive battery runtime.

yeah just stock standard, otherwise the psp plays pretty much anything modded

Don
Original Gameboy for me - Went everywhere with me when I was growing up, and had a huge catalogue of games, and gave me access to a lot of ports from other consoles that I wouldn't have otherwise played as didn't have any other consoles at the time.

Mario land 2, Wario Land 1/2, Kirby's Pinball Land, Pokemon Blue, Zelda Link's Awakening, Desert/Jungle Strike, Race Days, Mortal Kombat 2

Soldato
What a surprise that everyone's favourite is the one they owned as a child, the one with fond memories! I doubt you're going to get an non-nostalgic answer...

The PSP is the best ever because of the HUGE leap in power over previous handhelds made "console gaming on the go" a reality. Racing games in particular were well suited to it. It was still "simple and cheap enough" to make games for, that you got loads of interesting games such as Loco Roco but packed the hardware to make AAA style games too like Siphon Filter, Midnight Club, GTfrigginA Vice City Stories. Proper sound. Add to that mp3s, internet browsing (before smart phones), standard (albeit Sony) memory card usage, multiplayer without two people needing a copy of the game, watching full length films. It had a lot going for it, so much more than the previous consoles.

The Vita could have been better but it has too many gimmicks, making it too expensive, no games, stupid memory cards...

The GBM gets an honourable mention because it is genuinely small and light enough to slip into a pocket - the best of the 16 bit handhelds. The battery lasts ages on a single charge and the screen is backlit. It is the most handheld handheld.

If I was going on a long train ride or stopping over at my parents for a night I'll take my PSP. If I was waiting at a bus stop or at the docs or something, GBM. In fact it lives permanently in my work bag...

Associate
OP
Original Gameboy for me - Went everywhere with me when I was growing up, and had a huge catalogue of games, and gave me access to a lot of ports from other consoles that I wouldn't have otherwise played as didn't have any other consoles at the time.

Mario land 2, Wario Land 1/2, Kirby's Pinball Land, Pokemon Blue, Zelda Link's Awakening, Desert/Jungle Strike, Race Days, Mortal Kombat 2

the games you listed are my reason for the GameBoy. Actually started Kirby Land 2 again last night

Man of Honour
I'm sure not if this is based only on ones we've owned or not? I wasn't much of a handheld fan, the only one I've owned was a Gameboy Pocket.. I don't think I've actually used any other handheld :eek:

Man of Honour
I do think the GBA AGS101 is the best being that it can play GB/GBC/GBA games. The library there is huge with so many quality games. But if you are going to be a bit naughty the PSP cannot be beaten as you can play everything on that. I also love the Turbo Express, my mate had one and that impressed me but I never owned one personally.

Soldato
100% original Game Boy for me. Not just because it was my childhood handheld, but because of its huge library and how long it was around for. The PSP though, what a device that was at the time! A complete portable powerhouse with an awesome screen. (I had a Japanese one, the screen was noticeably brighter and more vivid than my friends here in the UK and the region lock was the same, so no issues there.

I also think the ds from the lite upwards is a really good handheld and one of the best.

Man of Honour
Really can't see past any of the Nintendo handhelds for this. But which....

Got to be the Gameboy Advance for me I think. Played the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games as well as the new GBA games. If only the original shape GBA had a backlit screen. The GBA SP was uncomfortable to hold.

Back
Top Bottom