• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Turing GeForce RTX Technology & Architecture

Soldato
There's a £5** an £7** one too :). IMO if someone I due an upgrade just buying whichever one they can justify buying.
But them cheaper ones will most likely be no faster then last gen 1080ti

I just want a card with the speed of a 2080ti without the bells & whistles of this ray tracing hardware...As am not a hardcore gamer anymore so i just want a fast card for running games at 4k & 3440x1440

Soldato
But them cheaper ones will most likely be no faster then last gen 1080ti

I just want a card with the speed of a 2080ti without the bells & whistles of this ray tracing hardware...As am not a hardcore gamer anymore so i just want a fast card for running games at 4k & 3440x1440
Have to wait and see. In new games I can see the 2080 being a decent amount faster than the old Ti (DLSS without RT used)
Problem is, you have a top end enthusiast resolution. That's one of the reason I've not moved to 4k. I can remember buying a 1440P monitor in 2010 ( think, or 11) and regretted it a bit a you had to buy top end GPU's and still have to turn setting down. Only recent generations, Maxwell and especially Pascal has top end GPU's made 1440P a much better experience (max settings and good FPS).
Joking now but if NVLink works differently/better than SLi then you will just need two 2080s or Ti's :p.
I upgraded my monitor recently and just went 1440P again, with g-sync. I feel the hw power isn't there for 4k still and would rather have more lifelike games, which is what RT will help to provide. 4k without RT or 1440P with, I know what I would prefer.

Caporegime
I wish we could stop calling ultra-high-end stuff "enthusiast tier". It really should just be "ultra-high-end" instead. Guaranteed that someone will buy one (or two) of the 2080 Tis, run a couple benchmarks, then barely use them at all afterwards.

Having a metric ton of disposable income doesn't make you more of an enthusiast than a mid- or low-end buyer - who might have a more genuine interest in the hardware than the chap who bought the two Tis.

Soldato
Me too, I think it's a great move. You have to get the technology out there and used by developers and consumers so it can be improved on IMO. I think/hope NV have it in a good enough state of development to at least improve on existing technology, to make people see the benefits it's going to bring with even further development.

Vega never performed in games for it's size and paper specs to be frank, so the price had to be fairly reasonable to appeal to gamers. If we are paying a premium for RTX then I don't care, personally. As has been touted for a long while, ray tracing is the future (and this wasn't just NV saying that). New GPU's are faster and with new features other than just DLSS and even RTX. New tech can get cheaper too, although I'm not saying it necessarily will in this case :p. But, in say 5 years raytracing will probably work pretty well in mid-range/low cards too. Cheaper would be better of course but pricing is what it is. We either pay the price to play with the new goodies or not :)

It's not so much about performance it's more about what AMD could sell the gpu for along with very expensive HBM. Nvidia pushed the price up to almost double what AMD were selling for and are raking it in no doubt at that price.

Soldato
I wish we could stop calling ultra-high-end stuff "enthusiast tier". It really should just be "ultra-high-end" instead. Guaranteed that someone will buy one (or two) of the 2080 Tis, run a couple benchmarks, then barely use them at all afterwards.

Having a metric ton of disposable income doesn't make you more of an enthusiast than a mid- or low-end buyer - who might have a more genuine interest in the hardware than the chap who bought the two Tis.

100% some how the enthusiast tag is now someone with loads of money. No enthusiast is anyone who loves PC hardware and tinkers with it to make it better, learns what they can. The tag used to be about those that were clued up and could spend less but push that hardware above more expensive gear. These days enthusiast is buy the best lol. Big wallet with no experience or knowledge could get a faster pc so is a enthusiast :D:D:D:D

Man of Honour
100% some how the enthusiast tag is now someone with loads of money. No enthusiast is anyone who loves PC hardware and tinkers with it to make it better, learns what they can. The tag used to be about those that were clued up and could spend less but push that hardware above more expensive gear. These days enthusiast is buy the best lol. Big wallet with no experience or knowledge could get a faster pc so is a enthusiast :D:D:D:D

Enthusiasts 40 years ago allowing for inflation would spend a lot more than the cost of a couple of 2080 Ti cards for a machine that had the very basic of output on a TV screen.

Being a computer enthusiast back then really was quite an expensive hobby.

Soldato
It's not so much about performance it's more about what AMD could sell the gpu for along with very expensive HBM. Nvidia pushed the price up to almost double what AMD were selling for and are raking it in no doubt at that price.
They're awesome products with zero competition at the level the GPU's are at, can't blame them for raking it in IMO. They even look fantastic. I remember once having a 670 - what a cheap plasticky feeling POS that was for I think £299.99 if I remember correctly. 2070 is a lot more expensive but looks as good as the Ti.
I think AMD would have charged a lot more for the consumer Vega cards if they could have. Vega does have one hell of a spec though, so if you can put it to good use (not just gaming) then a bit of a bargain as a workstation card. Having a quick look at the specs the Vega 64 is 1.3TLOPS higher than the 1080 Ti, probably also higher than the TXp. Pretty good for what is now £450-£499 for those that can put it to good use.
I think with a bit of time AMD can put a better fight to Nvidia on the GPU front which should help pricing. Once they pwn Intel :p they'll have more for GPU R&D if they think they can compete better there.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I wonder is whether in the first released benchmarks from Nvidia where they were comparing the 2080 with the 1080 the DLSS was used as AA or if it was DLSS 2x. The former is not as exciting, because it's like comparing TAA to 4-8x MSAA, large performance discrepancies but unimpressive visual differences. If it's the latter on the other hand, that could put a 2070 for example above the level of a 1080 ti in 4K. Now THAT is exciting.

Soldato
They're awesome products with zero competition at the level the GPU's are at, can't blame them for raking it in IMO. They even look fantastic. I remember once having a 670 - what a cheap plasticky feeling POS that was for I think £299.99 if I remember correctly. 2070 is a lot more expensive but looks as good as the Ti.
I think AMD would have charged a lot more for the consumer Vega cards if they could have. Vega does have one hell of a spec though, so if you can put it to good use (not just gaming) then a bit of a bargain as a workstation card. Having a quick look at the specs the Vega 64 is 1.3TLOPS higher than the 1080 Ti, probably also higher than the TXp. Pretty good for what is now £450-£499 for those that can put it to good use.
I think with a bit of time AMD can put a better fight to Nvidia on the GPU front which should help pricing. Once they pwn Intel :p they'll have more for GPU R&D if they think they can compete better there.

Hopefully that is the case. I don't blame Nvidia either as they are not in business to earn buttons. I blame those who encourage them to price so high.

Soldato

Vega has a lot of features for gaming which apparently won't be ever enabled it appears! :(

Soldato
I meant its more on the software level - I remember reading somewhere AMD wasn't going to enable them(must have been one of those software bulletin boards).

Yea because they will want to sell their "professional" cards for 2x as much which do have more stuff enabled. Nvidia do the same. Years ago you could install the quadro drivers with a geforce card and get the extra features to save yourself £100s by just missing with ini files, but they obviously put a stop to that.

Soldato
Yea because they will want to sell their "professional" cards for 2x as much which do have more stuff enabled. Nvidia do the same. Years ago you could install the quadro drivers with a geforce card and get extra features.

It was some of the features which might be useful in games IIRC. It was a few weeks ago,so need to find the link. There was a rumour desktop large Vega had some issues at a hardware level,so it makes me wonder whether that was true. It will be very interesting to see if Navi is basically a fixed Vega now on a new node,instead of something new.

Back
Top Bottom