What watch do you wear?

Associate
4669C9C7-AF57-447F-B5C8-54FA59FB5907_zpscweykk9x.jpeg
4669C9C7-AF57-447F-B5C8-54FA59FB5907_zpscweykk9x.jpeg
Picked this little monkey up in Cannes today

Soldato
Very nice. Is the bracelet / strap quite heavy and solid as well?

Yeah, its a heavy bracelet. The H1 I have I wear daily and this will definitely be a non work watch - the clasp on the bracelet is pretty thick as well so when using a mouse it sits oddly, but when being worn on a night out will do nicely. The only thing I actually dislike about the watch is the little tiny screws used on the watch links. You need to heat them before trying to undo them (they are 1mm flathead screws), which I only found out after basically ruining one screw getting it out - luckily that will now just live in the box.

Oh and the box it came in was definitely a disappointment after the box the H1 came in.

For the price it is a very nice watch, but yes if you don't like heavy watches it isn't for you.

I know have my eye on one of these to add to my collection - https://www.watchshop.com/mens-junkers-g38-automatic-watch-6966-2-p99977918.html

Soldato
I have been wearing my Seiko SNK807 (below) for the past few days. It's on it's original canvas strap.

I also have a Casio G-Shock G-2900, a Timex Expedition Quartz Chronograph, a Citizen Eco-Drive, a Tissot Seastar a Citizen Promaster NY0040-09EE and a Ricoh Crystal 21j which is my only not entirely original watch (bar strap changes).

SNK807_900.jpg

I have the same watch - went to watch shop to get a Red Arrows Casio but it was like a dinner plate on my wrist so came out with this.

414017291.jpg

Got a few Seikos and rotate them weekly. It's at bottom of watch pile but it suites daily use.

Soldato
I have the same watch - went to watch shop to get a Red Arrows Casio but it was like a dinner plate on my wrist so came out with this.

414017291.jpg

Got a few Seikos and rotate them weekly. It's at bottom of watch pile but it suites daily use.

Good to see fellow Seiko owners on OcUk! This is probably my third Seiko watch, the other Seiko 5 watches I used to own have been sold because I preferred this particular one - which I rotate with my Eco Drive and my Promaster.

Associate
Nice Seikos :) and nice NY0040, Gamefreak, I keep on the lookout for a lefty one of those but the hands seem tiny!

My little collection:

89w7nkC

https://imgur.com/a/89w7nkC

Pope watch - nice design but a tad too small
Seiko SARB033 - latest, and maybe final, watch to go in the box? :) love it love it.
Sentimental Citizen, still going strong after many years
Orient Mako II, like it but maybe fancy a Citizen lefty or a black-dial version of the Mako
Citizen BM6400-09EE - love this watch but wear it less on weekends than the Orient...
Orient dress watch - first automatic, replaced by the SARB for daily office wear but still like it, super comfortable.

Edit - I am so bad at linking images, sorry.

Soldato
Nice Seikos :) and nice NY0040, Gamefreak, I keep on the lookout for a lefty one of those but the hands seem tiny!

My little collection:

89w7nkC

https://imgur.com/a/89w7nkC

Pope watch - nice design but a tad too small
Seiko SARB033 - latest, and maybe final, watch to go in the box? :) love it love it.
Sentimental Citizen, still going strong after many years
Orient Mako II, like it but maybe fancy a Citizen lefty or a black-dial version of the Mako
Citizen BM6400-09EE - love this watch but wear it less on weekends than the Orient...
Orient dress watch - first automatic, replaced by the SARB for daily office wear but still like it, super comfortable.

Edit - I am so bad at linking images, sorry.

I've not seen a SARB033 that close up, it's a nice timeless (no pun intended!) watch and I'm really liking your sentimental Citizen - I have been after a rectangular or square face watch for a long time, but with only six spaces in my box...I may have to sell one! Or save up for one of the nice Tag Heuer Monaco Square watches and leave it in it's own box. I have wanted one for a long time, never really liked the Bell & Ross square case styling but that might change if the right one comes along.

The hands are quite small on my Promaster lefty - if I decide to wear it this week, I will get a wrist photo of it.

On the subject of small watches, I'm still in two minds about my Tissot Seastar, lovely design but on the small side, 38-42mm+ cases suit my wrist better but I only wear the Seastar when I am suited and booted so perhaps it's not such a big deal.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like a good event to go to. Maybe a bit far for me though!
Been looking on eBay for an older omega like that but always apprehensive of fakes and rip off merchants

It was my first time there and it was quite eye opening. Lots of stuff for sale, not all of it good, and all for cash. Lots of haggling to be done as well. It was quite good fun.

As for eBay, you are correct to be careful, there is a lot of rubbish out there. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is to do a lot of research and to know what to look out for when buying a vintage watch.

I made a slight error when purchasing that Omega in that the hour hand has been re-lumed which I missed when inspecting it. If you want a bit more protection you can buy off Chrono24 but even then its best to research what you are going to buy.

Soldato
What are the good places to buy watches these days?

I haven't owned a watch in years, mainly when mobile phones became popular. But I'm interested to get back in to watch wearing.

Soldato
I have bought all my watches from eBay :eek: but I can usually tell what makes a fake, frankenwatch or other worthless tat and what makes a real genuine watch, partly because I don't go for brands like Omega on eBay.

I go for low to mid-range brands and cross reference everything from the movement to the movement markings and components (i.e. original or after market rotor, colours of the components and component screws), the dial and the level of ageing and patina on a dial. The crown can also tell you if the watch is completely original in addition to the condition of the glass.

The colours and fonts of the date/day and dial logo texts and the case back markings and how genuine the watch strap is. Other more difficult things to appreciate are polishing, but you can usually tell an over-polished Citizen Bullhead Chronograph for example vs one that has been professionally polished with care.

Chrono24 is a good guide for pricing and I will only bid on a watch on eBay which has pictures of the movement itself, the case and detail macro shots of the dial (so you can tell a redial or relume for example).

The only watch I had to send back was a lovely 1940s era Art Deco styled hand-wind Oris watch. I realised that the winding mechanism had stopped working when I tried to set the time on the day I received it. The seller was fully understanding though and sorted out a refund and return for me, which was brilliant.

You get an idea when you look at enough sources what is genuine and what isn't and the feedback score on eBay is paramount to a purchase making decision. Sorry for rambling, hopefully it helps!

Don
scratched the JLC while on holiday but it's off with @lakitu to be repaired to his usual excellent standard

In the meantime I have ordered a custom strap from ABP for when it gets back

might not be everyone's taste as it's a bit brash but the watch is hardly subtle and I think it will suit it

eLjK0VO.png

Soldato
scratched the JLC while on holiday but it's off with @lakitu to be repaired to his usual excellent standard

In the meantime I have ordered a custom strap from ABP for when it gets back

might not be everyone's taste as it's a bit brash but the watch is hardly subtle and I think it will suit it

eLjK0VO.png

Will work well with your JLC, nice compliment to the red on the dial

Back
Top Bottom