LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
To each his own :)

The only detailed review I saw was TFT, and that was number and technical overload without much passion.
For example, it's an IPS Monitor - if I play a space sim (such as Elite Dangerous) or horror game (such as Alien Isolation) will BLB or IPS glow annoy me?
If so, is that in a dark room, a dimly lit room, an averagely lit room or a brightly lit room?
Does bias lighting help?

That maybe too much downto manufacturing process or the monitor lottery as it's known, but those are the answers I'm so desperately seeking!

Associate
Just got my 34GK950F in, here are some initial impressions. I'm comparing it to the 38UC99 I have now. I've used several other ultrawides like 34UM95 and Predator X34 as well.

Out of the box, the calibration is excellent. As always when getting a new monitor I went through the various tests at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php and didn't see any issues like banding. Screen uniformity is very good also, I didn't notice any areas of the screen that were noticeably darker than others (went through several PG279Q with this problem).

The 144Hz feels amazing, a huge upgrade over the 75 Hz I was running before. DOOM is a joy to play on this monitor, I did have one issue with it though, it kept resetting my fps to 60 Hz so I had to run it in window mode, alt-tab and then set the refresh back to 144 Hz. No other games have this problem, so if anyone knows of a fix I'd appreciate it.

I have no issues with the input lag, but you could argue I'm used to displays with higher. I think my 38UC99 is around 20ms, had no real issues with that either.

The monitor gets VERY bright compared to previous monitors I've owned. Around 6-7 brightness seems equivalent to 17 on the 38UC99. I'd recommend disabling "SMART ENERGY SAVING", I noticed blacklight flickering when this was on.

I noticed the monitor has settings to force a lower DisplayPort mode like 1.2. This is good if you're connecting it to a KVM switch or something, since none support 1.4 at the moment.

Overall I am very happy with the monitor so far. No major quality issues from what I can see so far. I'm fairly picky, too... I ended up returning the X34 due to scanlines and the PG279Q due to color temp / uniformity issues. The 950F has none of those faults, and the BLB is pretty minimal on my unit. As for the IPS glow, when looking straight on the glow appears more noticeable in the left corner than on my 38UC99, but in the right corner I see less glow. I don't feel as if either is better than the other in this regard, pretty comparable to me really. Note that I can only really see the glow when it's a pitch black screen, in normal scenarios it's hard to notice.

I've only spent like ~5 hours with the screen so far but it seems like a keeper to me. I realize there are some shortcomings like the input lag but that is not a huge priority for me, I needed a screen that delivered accurate colors while still being good enough for gaming and this one delivers on that. Some pics:

EPXc.jpg

GPXc.jpg

HPXc.jpg

IPXc.jpg

Associate
Just got my 34GK950F in, here are some initial impressions. I'm comparing it to the 38UC99 I have now. I've used several other ultrawides like 34UM95 and Predator X34 as well.

Out of the box, the calibration is excellent. As always when getting a new monitor I went through the various tests at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php and didn't see any issues like banding. Screen uniformity is very good also, I didn't notice any areas of the screen that were noticeably darker than others (went through several PG279Q with this problem).

The 144Hz feels amazing, a huge upgrade over the 75 Hz I was running before. DOOM is a joy to play on this monitor, I did have one issue with it though, it kept resetting my fps to 60 Hz so I had to run it in window mode, alt-tab and then set the refresh back to 144 Hz. No other games have this problem, so if anyone knows of a fix I'd appreciate it.

I have no issues with the input lag, but you could argue I'm used to displays with higher. I think my 38UC99 is around 20ms, had no real issues with that either.

The monitor gets VERY bright compared to previous monitors I've owned. Around 6-7 brightness seems equivalent to 17 on the 38UC99. I'd recommend disabling "SMART ENERGY SAVING", I noticed blacklight flickering when this was on.

I noticed the monitor has settings to force a lower DisplayPort mode like 1.2. This is good if you're connecting it to a KVM switch or something, since none support 1.4 at the moment.

Overall I am very happy with the monitor so far. No major quality issues from what I can see so far. I'm fairly picky, too... I ended up returning the X34 due to scanlines and the PG279Q due to color temp / uniformity issues. The 950F has none of those faults, and the BLB is pretty minimal on my unit. As for the IPS glow, when looking straight on the glow appears more noticeable in the left corner than on my 38UC99, but in the right corner I see less glow. I don't feel as if either is better than the other in this regard, pretty comparable to me really. Note that I can only really see the glow when it's a pitch black screen, in normal scenarios it's hard to notice.

I've only spent like ~5 hours with the screen so far but it seems like a keeper to me. I realize there are some shortcomings like the input lag but that is not a huge priority for me, I needed a screen that delivered accurate colors while still being good enough for gaming and this one delivers on that. Some pics:

EPXc.jpg

GPXc.jpg

HPXc.jpg

IPXc.jpg

Do you have an NVIDIA GPU? or AMD?

Associate
It’s nuts how different the IPS glow is from the two different angles. There’s pretty much no glow when viewed from the left with your display settings. I guess I might end up angling my monitor a little

Associate
Yep, unless something significantly negative surfaces before they're available put me down for a 'G' as well.

Currently have 3x U2711s which are great monitors, but not really for gaming. Expect low latency and 100Hz+ to be a revelation in the games that my 1080Ti can run at those rates.

Back
Top Bottom