Nervous about a job interview

Soldato
I always make sure I leave a few back up questions for the end, I do a lot of interviews and personally I don't like it when a candidate says "I think you've answered all my questions". It generally means the interview ending earlier than the time allotted and seems like a wasted opportunity, you can't have the answer to every possible question about the role in an hour.

There should be no 'think' about it. It's either a decisive 'have' through a well engaged conversation or a prescribed structure due to poor interview technique or candidate ability.

Soldato
There should be no 'think' about it. It's either a decisive 'have' through a well engaged conversation or a prescribed structure due to poor interview technique or candidate ability.
Some companies have pretty complex and defined interview processes using techniques like the STAR format, so there is less opportunity for questions regarding the role from the candidate during the process because it's more around learning about the candidate. I always keep some extra questions in my back pocket for these kind of interviews if I'm going for a role. For more traditional interviews, I would agree with what you say but it pays to be prepared.

There is a guide for candidates on the STAR technique from the Guardian here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMt2ktJEyQ

Caporegime
Not sucking at interviews is fairly conducive to getting a job.

(But for realsies, confidence is a massive help so do whatever it takes to boost it. New suot2, new haircut, polish your shoes, whatever. Just do whatever's in your budget to make yourself feel a million bucks and go in shining)

Caporegime
1. Urinate in the corner of the interview room to assert dominance.
2. If the interviewer gets a bit lippy with you then don't be afraid to stand and bang. Start with an naked arm wrestle but don't be afraid to go full MMA if he steps out of line again.
3. Always reply 'your mum lol' to any questions which you find boring or are too difficult to answer.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Soldato
Don't over answer a question. I asked a candidate about their experience in a particular scenario and I couldn't get a word in edgeways for the next 10 mins. That would have been fine, but it was mostly waffle.

Soldato
Just be yourself, relax and be on the ball.

Interviewers can try be smart ass, as said above don't go into things to much when they ask a question, you answer in a clear and concise manner.

Play them at the own game. ;)

Goodluck.

Associate
You can prepare all you like for interview questions but 9/10 you'll end up with questions that are designed to catch someone out and think on the spot - so you should just be yourself.

The stars approach is pretty good for learning generic questions and telling a story as you answer. I had quite a lot of my past acomplishments thought about in detail that i could answer quite a few questions based on the subject depending on what popped up.

Things like greatest failure, time you have failed, problem solved should be a negative turned into a positive - actions you made to amend a problem and how you reacted to it. leadership, working as a team, working under pressure, prioritising situations you should think of storys within the last year to reel off. Don't say you don't get stressed as that would be a major like - tailor it that you get stressed but try to minimize it by being prepared.

Strengths, weakenesses etc are pretty basic and I've rarely recieved one and if anything it has been in lower class roles but again, try to make a negative into a positive.

I gained quite a lot of valuable advice from a thread recently on here from a lot of members. Some of the advice given was:
You should picture yourself as a person who wants to stay at the company. Ask questions such as what your day to day tasks and responsibilities would be. Ask where you can expect to progress, and have similar candidates progressed to. Ask about development opportunities and how you could gain access to them. Ask them why the position has been made available. Simple questions that make you seem like you are keen about the role but want to know more about it for your benefit as much as theirs. Try and make them vision you as their employee.

You also should study the business. When they ask you what you know about the company - discuss their size in terms of offices/employees; any key growth/success they have had. Try to find out their core values and tell them that they are values that you are interested in. Summerise what they do, in terms of cost saving or improving effeciency.

Try not to get stressed but channel your nerves into looking excited. Constantly ask questions - even ones reletive to the job to show you are keen to learn from the instant.

Also take a portfolio of examples of your work if it is that type of role.

Associate
I've been on both sides of the coin, a couple of thoughts for you:
  • Mentioned, but make sure you know at least a little about the company; not root-and-branch history, but an understanding of what they do, what their market is, and as much comprehension of the role you are applying for as possible.
  • If you are giving examples of competencies, evidence them. Don't just say what you can do or skills you have, but also short anecdotes for when and how these applied if prompted. A decent interviewee will likely want examples.
  • Take a copy of your CV and cover letter (if applicable) with you. Interview styles vary of course and your interviewee(s) may be simply more interested in getting to know you than your history, but don't be that guy fumbling for a response because you wrote your CV ages ago, can't remember what you've listed, haven't got a copy with you and some smart alec wants to query a point on it.
  • Confidence but not arrogance. Always found it helpful not to overplay abilities, keep it to what you can evidence. Avoid banal metaphors; once interviewed someone who repeatedly mentioned he was a 'big fish in a small pond'. Suffice to say the interview didn't last long.
  • Always found it helpful not to overprepare. Too many notes can come across scripted. Give yourself a base to work from, but enough room to elucidate your points in a natural way.
  • Have a couple of questions prepared for the end, if you can think of something worthy. If not, one of my favourites is simply to ask something along the lines of "is there any skill vital to the role that you feel I have not yet demonstrated today". From experience, it is unexpected and can throw the interviewee off. If they are honest, it will give you the opportunity to cover anything that may have been missed or reaffirm something the interviewee hasn't picked up on. If not, at least it demonstrates that you are thinking of how your skill set applies to the role. It may also give you an insight in terms of how they view the interview. It has always been favourably received.
Good luck OP.

Soldato
Two most important things:

1. Prepare a detailed answer on specifically what you can offer the company: strengths, skills, knowledge, experience and fit for the company/role. This is after all the crux of the interview, but if you have an answer for 'why should we hire you', then you have an answer for most things they can ask.

2. Try at any decent opportunity to turn it into a discussion rather than a question and answer session. If you can lead questions they ask you back into questions about the company (after having sufficiently answered the question), it shows you are knowledgeable about the company and capable of holding a discussion and linking between topics, and not just asking questions. Additionally, a discussion style interview both facilitates deeper drilling into certain topics (to hopefully show the interviewer you really know your stuff), and also feels a lot easier for all involved, leaving a more positive feeling in the interviewer's (and probably your) mind after the interview.

Good luck, if you're nervous, just think you don't have that much to lose. If you don't get the job then you don't get the job, it's just a bonus if you do!

Soldato
Before the interview chew some gum. It will make you less nervous, it's something to do with tricking the brain into thinking you're eating and therefore safe with no reason to be nervous.

Soldato
If they are using behavioural interviewing then follow the STAR approach.

Situation,
Task,
Action,
Result.

https://careercenter.lehigh.edu/node/145

Works well to stop you rambling. Even if they aren't actively doing this it is still a good way of explaining how you have dealt with issues in the past relating to specific questions.

I've always found good questions to ask being along the lines of, "what are the things you and your employees enjoy most about working here" or if it's not clear, "what can you say about this company's core values?"

"How long has your longest serving staff member in this department been here and how have they progressed?" is another I like but it could potentially sound a bit aggressive.

An interview is a two way process IMO. In any interview I'm trying to figure out if it's a crap place to work or not. Realising this should make you feel less nervous and/or desperate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't be afraid to take a few moments to think before answering questions and equally don't be afraid to stop talking when you feel you have said enough either.

Soldato
Also try looking at the Interviewer on LinkedIn and see if you have any shared links/interests. It also helps you to know what they look like and help remember their names if there are multiple people on the panel.

It's likely you'll pop up on their Linkedin as someone that's looked at their page so it helps show your interest and methods of research. Don't be afraid to mention you did this during the interview too. I'll sometimes make it into a joke which i find helps build rapor (depending on the interviewers personality)

Soldato
I know this is probably not going to help but if you can really get in this state of mind it helps a lot.

Before you go into the interview, just tell yourself you can do this, and to not care too much if you don't get it. It's not the end of the world. They will either like you or they won't, so what's the use in worrying? If you're not good enough, you're not good enough. If you're not what they're after, you're not what they're after. And if they want you, they'll offer you the job.

It's just a job. There will be many other opportunities down the road. Good luck.

Man of Honour
Don't be afraid to take a few moments to think before answering questions and equally don't be afraid to stop talking when you feel you have said enough either.

Good advice this. A lot of people FAIL to listen to the question being asked and therefore their answer is often unrelated or irrelevant. Take those moments to take on board what's being asked and answer concisely and more importantly, correctly. If you have done your homework, then not many questions should come as a surprise.

Good luck

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You should be interviewing them and if your direct manager is not the interview tell them to swivel.

Soldato
I do all the technical role interviews here and have done for the past 5 - 6 years and I agree this is definitely recommended :)

Bailey

Same from me.

Dont know why but I have always been good at interviews, and what has always seemed to work is to make a connection with the interviewer, on some occasions I have just got very lucky e.g. once me been a Leics city fan, the interviewer told me he supports forest and 90% of the interview was us talking about a recent cup game like we were at a pub, I knew instantly once I had him hooked on the convo the job was mine and it was.

Other then that, avoid saying negatives unless you absolutely have to, stick to you positive points, and come across as friendly.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You can only do your best. Don't beat yourself up over a difficult question or a poor performance.

Remember, you didn't have the job before you went in through the door so don't put pressure on yourself for not knowing the job spec inside out or the CEO's dog's name. I've smashed job interviews from a technical point of view but still not had the job because of internal politics. Providing you leave knowing you did your best then just forget about it.

My tips would include:

1. Arrive in a suit. You can always take off the jacket and tie but you've got nowhere to go if you arrive in ripped jeans and a t-shirt
  2. Take a copy of the job spec and a CV with you. You can easily forget info when stressed so it's a good reminder of what they're after
  3. Always be polite and try to make eye contact when someone is talking to you
  4. If you can, channel nervous energy in to enthusiasm. These people may be sat around all-day interviewing, if you're in at 4pm there's a good chance they'll need a boost if they started at 8am.
  5. Try to leave a lasting impression. It could be that you tell them about a time you accomplished something with a funny anecdote or an interesting fact about yourself. Don't turn it in to a stand-up routine*
  6. Always ask a question. Remember, you want to work there and you have a right to put them on the spot... ask them what progression they offer, how they develop staff, how the organisation structure works etc
  7. Make a point to shake their hand and let them know that you're grateful for their time, before you leave.
* - on this point, I once asked about 6 questions and mid-way through said something along the lines of "it's my turn to ask the difficult questions now" which they thought was amusing. Was it the difference? Who knows, but it helped build a rapport.

Back
Top Bottom