Nervous about a job interview

Soldato
Arrive in a suit. You can always take off the jacket and tie but you've got nowhere to go if you arrive in ripped jeans and a t-shirt
Depends on the company these days. A lot of startup and big tech companies will actually say to not turn up in a suit, because you'll look really out of place. The times of "you can't go wrong wearing a suit" are over now, some people want you to be yourself. Probably best to research or ask the recruiter if they don't specify a dress code. :)

Caporegime
That’s true, it should be fairly obvious though on some threads here people still seem to be stuck in the mindset of “always wear a suit” even when it has been made clear to the poster/candidate that it isn’t needed.

Associate
Even if it isn't needed I don't think there would ever be a time when it's a negative. No interviewer is going to think this guy made too much effort by wearing a suit opposed to not wearing one and them having an expectancy of you wearing one.

I've wore a suit to interview at McDonald's before. Had funny looks walking in and through the course of the interview but I ended up getting the job - I refused as I had a better job by the time I was accepted but proved no matter where, wearing a suit doesn't harm.

Who doesn't enjoy a chance to lace up their crocodile shoes and don their favourite suit anyways?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

That’s true, it should be fairly obvious though on some threads here people still seem to be stuck in the mindset of “always wear a suit” even when it has been made clear to the poster/candidate that it isn’t needed.
Then you take off the jacket and tie, as per my post.

Oh noes, he wore a suit.... :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'll generally wear a suit for a first interview and then base any subsequent interviews based on the dress of the interviewers. I find most places are pretty casual these days.

Although, if i'm going before/during/after work i'll generally just go trousers/shirt (maybe tie) as i don't wear a suit for work and don't want to arouse suspicion! Find that trousers and shirt with a smart jacket will give a similar impression anyway.

Caporegime
Then you take off the jacket and tie, as per my post.

Oh noes, he wore a suit.... :rolleyes:

Or you just dress appropriately to begin with. If you’ve been specifically told not to then you’d look rather silly doing so - at what point would you take the jacket and tie off? When you change your mind on the walk there? When you’re already sat in reception and note that the company with the casual dress code does indeed have people dressed casually?
Why not just follow the instructions in the first place in the obvious case?

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think I've ever looked at someone and thought they were silly for wearing a suit. My company is smart casual dress code and we have people come in with suits on all the time

Caporegime
I don't think I've ever looked at someone and thought they were silly for wearing a suit. My company is smart casual dress code and we have people come in with suits on all the time

Then they're clearly not out of place, in fact in plenty of places with a "smart casual" dress code you'd still find employees wearing suits from time to time, especially when meeting clients etc..

The point was a general one in relation to people getting stuck in the mindset of "always wear a suit" even when it is clear it isn't required - see the mixed response to this guy's query for example:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32133163/

in theory an interviewer probably shouldn't place too much emphasis on it regardless - whether you turn up casually or suited and booted, it is your performance at interview that counts but some people will form some subjective opinion based on it and you're trying to build up some rapport in the interview - I'd not turn up for an interview at some big investment bank wearing say a polo shirt and jeans and likewise at some new tech start up where I've been told already that there is no need for a suit I'd not then turn around and ignore the information given and turn up wearing one

If it hasn't been made clear or isn't obvious then of course a suit is probably the safer way to go, that ought to be obvious, in your case in a regular office environment with a "smart casual" dress code (by which I'm assuming collared shirt + smart jeans or trousers) I'd wear one but that isn't what I'm referring to but rather the attitude that it is always the answer in spite of evidence to the contrary, which is what seemed to motivate some replies in the other thread. Anyway I hope that clarifies, my initial comment on the matter was intended previously to just be an aside on the general attitude to suits I don't really want to take the thread off topic by having an ongoing discussion about interview attire.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Or you just dress appropriately to begin with. If you’ve been specifically told not to then you’d look rather silly doing so - at what point would you take the jacket and tie off? When you change your mind on the walk there? When you’re already sat in reception and note that the company with the casual dress code does indeed have people dressed casually?
Why not just follow the instructions in the first place in the obvious case?
I've never been told the dress code for an interview or asked the question myself. If they asked me not to wear a suit then obviously I wouldn't but I'd still want to show up looking smarter than I would if I was just popping to the shops.

Each interview I've had has been in a different industry (manufacturing, local authority, large conglomerate) and whilst you may stand out like a sore thumb in reception, it generally comes across like you give a toss if you've made an effort for the interview imo. Last week we advertised for some new roles and a guy arrived in a ripped pair of jeans and a t-shirt (we typically wear jeans and polo shirt whilst in the office) and I can tell you that it came across negatively. We've even had guys putting on a suit for internal interviews because they want to impress. Do they have to? No, but it helps.

I get what you're saying about the "always wear a suit" mentality and can't deny that you'd be foolish to ignore the desire of a perspective employer but to answer your question about when would I remove the jacket and tie.... probably the tie in the waiting area and remove the jacket when I got in to the interview.

Soldato
Be honest, don't be a smart arse, listen, take your time to respond, don't expect to know all the answers and don't let it get you down when you don't.

I've never worn a suit but I always wear a shirt and trousers.

Back
Top Bottom