DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
Aust has pretty strict laws to protect the consumer. Even if they didn't specifically market the upgrade ability aspect in Aust, the fact they advertised it on their global site should mean something. It is a Global product after all and there were Australian reviews that stated this as a "pro" in their reviews.

It should be similar unless they had a regional disclaimer. Not much I can do except go through the channels available and avoid MSI like the plague form now on and warn others about them too.

sadly not, the model numbers had XXXXXXUK at the end suggesting models were specific to markets, they didnt realse some models in AUS due to competition from asia brands i assume etc and you can get shipping easier etc.

also it did say *only available in specific countries etc

you can try but i think they will be reluctant to offer anyone a deal in AUS because that means everyone will be entitled to it

but dont give up mate thats what we did and ended up getting a slightly better deal

cant blame you from avoiding MSI, dont **** talk them though, if someone asks you for a review just be honest from your own experience

Associate
sadly not, the model numbers had XXXXXXUK at the end suggesting models were specific to markets, they didnt realse some models in AUS due to competition from asia brands i assume etc and you can get shipping easier etc.

also it did say *only available in specific countries etc

you can try but i think they will be reluctant to offer anyone a deal in AUS because that means everyone will be entitled to it

but dont give up mate thats what we did and ended up getting a slightly better deal

cant blame you from avoiding MSI, dont **** talk them though, if someone asks you for a review just be honest from your own experience

MSI are just appalling, should've stuck with desktops, never had this much drama. Australia always gets shafted, just like VW paid/paying out Eur and US for their fraudulent emission tests, but fighting Australians in court as we speak.

Don't need to talk or make up crap about MSI, this and the experiences shared by the people on forums is more than enough to turn people off MSI. If only those reviewers and bloggers had a back bone to condemn MSI and raise the issue to the forefront where it belongs.

Trying to find specific marketing for the GT80s Titan 6QF so that I can at least present a case to the authorities and maybe talk to the company lawyer, but seems not much out there.

Really appreciate your help tropicola.

Associate
OP
US Class action against MSI Update:

Mealey's (October 25, 2018, 1:50 PM EDT) -- LOS ANGELES — A California federal judge on Oct. 23 dismissed numerous warranty claims asserted by purchasers of laptops made for gaming, but held that the consumers sufficiently pleaded violations of California’s unfair competition law (UCL) and other claims because they specified the model of allegedly defective laptops and the alleged misrepresentations made about them (Casey Thornton, et al. v. Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., et al., No. 2:17-cv-03231, C.D. Calif., 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 181912).

(Opinion available. Document #58-181120-011Z.)

Laptops

Casey Thornton and Carl Jones filed a class action in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California against MSI Computer Corp., Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. and Does 1-25. MSI designs, makes, sells and distributes computers, including the GT72 series and GT80 series laptops, which are made for gaming. Thornton and Jones assert that the laptops can be upgraded to have better graphics processing units (GPUs) made by NVIDIA Corp.

The plaintiffs allege that the defendants advertised the laptops as being able to be upgraded from the NVIDIA GPUs that were included in the laptops to a later generation of NVIDIA GPUs. The plaintiffs allege that the laptops did not have the benefits that were advertised by MSI and Micro-Star and that the laptops could not be upgraded by even one generation, among other claims.

Dismissal

The District Court granted a motion filed by MSI and Micro-Star to dismiss the complaint. Thornton and Jones filed an amended complaint, which was also dismissed with leave to amend. Thornton and Jones filed a second amended complaint, asserting claims for breach of contract and breach of express warranties, breach of implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and common counts of assumpsit, restitution, unjust enrichment and quasi-contract.

Thornton and Jones also asserted causes of action for violations of California’s Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), Cal. Civ. Code § 1750 et seq., the UCL, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 17200 et seq., the Song-Beverly Act, Cal. Civ. Code § 1790, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.

The defendants moved to dismiss the second amended complaint.

UCL

The defendants argued that the CLRA and UCL claims failed because they were not pleaded with the required particularity under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 9(b), Fed. R. Civ. P. 9(b). They argued that Thornton and Jones failed to identify the “who and how” of their alleged misrepresentations.

In the previous order dismissing the CLRA and UCL claims, Judge Christina A. Snyder said the District Court held that those claims sounded in fraud and, therefore, did not meet the pleading requirements of Rule 9(b). She said the second amended complaint cured the defects in the previous complaint as to the UCL and CLRA claims.

“Plaintiffs' second amended complaint specifically identifies the laptop models plaintiffs purchased, as well as the GPU models included in the laptops. Plaintiff Thornton purchased an MSI GT72 Dominator 6QD laptop, containing a single NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU. . . . Plaintiff Jones purchased an MSI GT80S Titan SLI-012 laptop, containing two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPUs. . . . Plaintiffs further allege that defendants' alleged misrepresentations pertained to these models,” Judge Snyder said.

The judge denied the motion to dismiss the UCL and CLRA claims.

Warranty

Judge Snyder said the motion should be denied as to the plaintiffs’ claims for breach of contract. She said the plaintiffs alleged that MSI and Micro-Star advertised that they could upgrade the laptops, which was an offer, which they accepted by purchasing the products. In addition, she said Thornton and Jones’ allegation that the defendants breached a contract by failing to allow consumers to upgrade their computers stated a valid claim. The judge also refused to dismiss the plaintiffs’ claims for breach of express warranty. She said the complaint alleged specifics about the laptops.

However, Judge Snyder held that the claim for breach of the implied warranty of merchantability should be dismissed because as alleged in the complaint the laptops are gaming machines, which was the ordinary use. Judge Snyder denied the motion as to the Song-Beverly claim on the basis of implied warranty of fitness for particular purpose. However, she granted dismissal of the Song-Beverly claim based on the implied warranty of merchantability. The judge also denied the motion to dismiss the Magnuson-Moss breach of express warranty claim.

In sum, the judge denied the motion to dismiss Thornton and Jones’ claims for breach of contract, fraud-based claims under the CLRA and UCL, breach of express warranty under the California Commercial Code and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, breach of implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose claims and common counts. However, the judge dismissed the other claims under the Song-Beverly Act and breach of implied warranty of merchantability under the California Commercial Code and under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act with prejudice.

The plaintiffs are represented by Alan M. Mansfield of The Consumer Law Group of California in San Diego and Kenneth A. Remson and Jeff S. Westerman of Westerman Law Corp. in Los Angeles. MSI and Micro-Star are represented by Bridget Anne Freeman of Paramount Pictures Corp. and Bryan A. Merryman of White and Case, both in Los Angeles.

https://www.lexislegalnews.com/arti...laims-related-to-laptop-upgrades-can-proceed-

Associate
OP
Latest on the class action against MSI in regards to this matter:

MINUTES OF Scheduling Conference held before Judge Christina A. Snyder.The Court confers with counsel, as stated in Court and on the record. The Court sets the last day to add parties or amend pleadings cutoff for April 1, 2019. The Court sets the hearing for plaintiffs Noticed Motion for Class Certification to be noticed for October 7, 2019, at 10:00 A.M. Counsel shall meet and confer regarding the filing and briefing for the motion for class certification, with the briefs to be completed at least two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled hearing date. The Court will visit rescheduling a Further Scheduling Conference, the motion for class certification has been heard.

Associate
Interesting as well! TLDR? Sorry for ignorance. In market for a GP73 now and not sure how this affects me. Cheers

as Misjah said if its not mxm, not included. also i think the gp73 came after the whole upgrade issue and shipped with 10 series right? can't seem to find a 9 series one.

back to your question though, how this affects you?

Read it, then decide if you would spend over 1,000 on a laptop considering what happened to others that trusted the brand. I'll leave you to formulate your own opinion but do some reading before you invest a large amount in any laptop tbh.

Associate
OP
Just a quick update about the class action lawsuit against MSI over this matter in the USA:

The case is ongoing, MSI's lawyers are trying to drag it out as long as they can to try and make those claiming give in rather than MSI stand up and accept their responsibility in lying to their high ticket gaming laptop customers.

That's what MSI think of their customers.

Caporegime
I will never buy an MSI product again based on this thread, and we all have a duty to spread the word on as many forums and tech site and Facebook groups as possible to put pressures on their sales.

Contemptible company.

Associate
Just a quick update about the class action lawsuit against MSI over this matter in the USA:

The case is ongoing, MSI's lawyers are trying to drag it out as long as they can to try and make those claiming give in rather than MSI stand up and accept their responsibility in lying to their high ticket gaming laptop customers.

That's what MSI think of their customers.

I think that is pretty standard for most big cases, any company would try this tactic tbh. But the extreme amount of time this has gone on is stupid, I really hope this teaches them a lesson in consumer rights and how to treat your customers fairly though.

I will never buy an MSI product again based on this thread, and we all have a duty to spread the word on as many forums and tech site and Facebook groups as possible to put pressures on their sales.

Contemptible company.

Yes we have a duty for review, but need to be careful of defamation/slander we need to present the facts and facts only in any review or comment otherwise it can be taken down and you can be liable.

But from my personal experience MSI didn't do that they promised, made me jump through hoops and treated me like something on the bottom of their shoe. Even after spending almost £2,000 on a laptop with them.

I wouldn't buy an MSI product either ever again.

Associate
meanwhile....

Micro-Star International (MSI) has reported net profits increased 22.4% on year to NT$6.04 billion (US$195.7 million) in 2018, with EPS coming to NT$7.15 thanks to significant profits from its gaming notebooks and monitors, and strong demand in first-quarter... (2018)

Plenty of money to refund MXM upgrade users then?

Soldato
@MiSJAH - finally got through it all.

Kudos, for sticking with it - as mentioned before, remind me never to p*** you off. :D

It will be interesting watching how the US class action plays out, especially as this, on the surface, appears a risky play by MSI - even if they do intend to settle eventually (guessing). The precedent they seem to be desperately avoiding presumably has larger ramifications - but with the intense scrutiny they're under, all be it from a niche audience (Tech heads), still seems a risky PR balancing act.

And here's hoping:
Plenty of money to refund MXM upgrade users then?

Associate
OP
@MiSJAH - finally got through it all.

Kudos, for sticking with it - as mentioned before, remind me never to p*** you off. :D

It will be interesting watching how the US class action plays out, especially as this, on the surface, appears a risky play by MSI - even if they do intend to settle eventually (guessing). The precedent they seem to be desperately avoiding presumably has larger ramifications - but with the intense scrutiny they're under, all be it from a niche audience (Tech heads), still seems a risky PR balancing act.

And here's hoping:

I await with interest. As I'm sure do MSI UK Gaming.

-self-proclaimed laptop aficionado MiSJAH

Associate
My GT72-6QD is still holding strong with its Aftermarket GTX 1060 upgrade, its even been XOC vbiosed and Overclocked to hell.

Firestrike on the Aftermarket GTX 1060 upgrade used to be 9,600 or so points. Now with XOC overclocking uncorked power i am getting this https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/35360635 .

With temps now maxing out to 83c (hot weather right now normally 81c).

So with them saying a new screen would be required and a new system mainboard because of power and thermals as well all know was BS.

Yep all it required was a new UEFI bios and EC firmware updates and it would have worked nicely without the Nvidia Driver Modding each time i want to upgrade the GPU Drivers or modding the DMI for SteelSeries.

So i very very interested in this legal case going on.

(Edited as the original was on the phone which trolls me all the time with autocorrects etc)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
MSI's lawyers are trying to drag the case out to make it not worthwhile for the class action lawyers to continue.

No one is giving up.

When there is new news I'll update :)

27 months into the case and counting......

JUv0nqC.png

Caporegime
Wow, MSI really are the pits. I will continue to dissuade anyone and everyone I know in real life and on forums from buying them. This thread must have cost them many thousands in sales since it was created and I bet they hate it every time they see it bumped. Kudos to Ocuk mods for allowing it to continue to exist despite pressure from MSI akd7even though they must know it affects their own sales. :)

Back
Top Bottom