• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU weld in middle broken off, will it still work?

Associate
Hello

The CPU is a square chip yes? on one side of the cpu in the middle, where the copper contact is, where the motherboard pins make contact, so there are small bits of welded metal, one of the parts have broken off...

Will that cause a issue, will it work?, the welded part does not look like a capacitor, im not sure what it is or what it does.

So if the metal bit in the middle of the CPU has broken off, just 1 bit, all the others are ok, will the CPU work?

its a i9 7980 by the way, or can it be repaired /?

thanks

Soldato
Are you talking about one of the surface mounted components on the contact side of the CPU?

If so it may still work and I don't think you'll hurt anything by trying.

If the pads it should be soldered to are intact it could be soldered back on. Do you still have the component that came off?

Associate
OP
Are you talking about one of the surface mounted components on the contact side of the CPU?

If so it may still work and I don't think you'll hurt anything by trying.

If the pads it should be soldered to are intact it could be soldered back on. Do you still have the component that came off?

no, its the metal blob like object on the contact side of the cpu, the copper contacts are all ok but in the middle there are 5 blocks of metal, one of them came off, some guys selling this 800 quid cpu for 75 quid, he states he doesnt have the facililty to check it,
its a risk, if it doesn't work then its a loss of 75-100 quid, if it works then wow

bidding ends in20 mins

Associate
OP
Soldato
Failed delidding attempt. He would have they attempted to use the chip and found it to be screwed. You did well not to buy this paper weight.

Soldato
I'm very doubtful that would have been repairable.

Would say you've saved yourself £78 there!, and some poor sod is out of pocket.

Associate
9969_1.png
You mean the centre capacitors? Pretty sure chip is dead once one of them falls off or is chopped off

Associate
Soldato
yeah thats definatly not a 7980xe the rear side of the chip has too few capacitors, i'd be getting in contact with seller and start a paypal dispute get yor money back, leave trash talk on his feedback

Soldato
The eBay listing even said

...pictures on google and what not the 7980xe looks totally different so make sure you are keen...

"Yeah, don't look at pictures on Google to see how totally different my chip is, because Google is lying!"

Appalling engrish too, hopefully the eventual winner will dispute this guy to the gills and back. Half tempted to report the seller myself actually, because it's one of those moods today...

Back
Top Bottom