Road Cycling

Soldato
Very kind offer but actually just after I posted that I realised I can just take the 30T off my Tacx Flux and use that. :)
Sure you legs don't want another 2 teeth? Offer stands if you change your mind ;)

Lol random email from Planet X I just received...
Looks like 'another stupid text email' to me... :rolleyes:

Was covered on road.cc yesterday, it's their latest marketing ploy.
Totally lame. Price is good but not that amazing a deal. Planet LAME.

Clevertraining are doing a sale on the Powertap P1 down to $499 while stocks last (clearing stock for the P2). Amazing deal. $29 shipping to the UK still makes them under £400.

Last edited:
Soldato
Power meters in general don't seem reliable enough to relinquish warranty service by buying from abroad. (Not saying it's impossible to get warranty service but certainly looks difficult)

PBK have the 4iiii units for 5800/6800 cheap (silver is <£200) ... but far too many reports of reliability issues and replacements.

Soldato
Anyone gone from SRAM shifting to Shimano recently?

I've been on my current bike with SRAM Force for nearly 12 years and haven't had a single issue, but most completes I'm looking at are Dura-Ace or DA Di2. I've no great desire to go electronic shifting but from reading SRAM Red etap sounds like a better shifting solution.

Cannondale Synapse has caught my eye, I should go demo one but I'm open to other suggestions.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/B...869-474d-b1df-d73e944da14f&parentid=undefined

Soldato
Anyone gone from SRAM shifting to Shimano recently?

I've been on my current bike with SRAM Force for nearly 12 years and haven't had a single issue, but most completes I'm looking at are Dura-Ace or DA Di2. I've no great desire to go electronic shifting but from reading SRAM Red etap sounds like a better shifting solution.

Cannondale Synapse has caught my eye, I should go demo one but I'm open to other suggestions.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/B...869-474d-b1df-d73e944da14f&parentid=undefined
SRAM e tap is awesome .An absolute doddle to install as well. I moved from ultegra over to it and have been seriously impressed .

I've had such a hiatus from my road bike though recently, as I'm refusing to ride it in poor weather. It's just been single speed commuting for me recently so I need to get back on to getting up when it's a nice weekend and going for a proper ride

Soldato
Disc brake road bikes with proper mudguard mounts for under £900ish:

Triban RC 520
Planet X London Road
Ribble CGR Al

Any I’m missing? Thanks in advance!

Dolan RDX is £999 with 105, frame only currently £249. Finally started building my RDX frame last weekend, got that for £200 (IIRC) from their Outlet page as the frame has a couple of marks on it.

Soldato
Disc brake road bikes with proper mudguard mounts for under £900ish:

Triban RC 520
Planet X London Road
Ribble CGR Al

Any I’m missing? Thanks in advance!
Specialized Diverge E5. Even better if you can find a 2018 E5 Comp to go Carbon frame with a price drop to bring it closer to £900... Both are mechanical TRP discs.

Or the Roubaix Sport, if you can get a previous years model again to get decent saving on it. Although the Roubaix's availability seem to much lower as they seem to be getting less popular... Used to be a 'Tarmac with Zertz', but now more of an endurance road bike while the Diverge has been made into an off road gravel machine. But the E5 Diverge's still have standard road gearing much like my 2016 carbon comp (the carbon comps now are 1X low gravel gearing).

I'm sure there's an alloy Cannondale Synapse close to the £1000 price bracket too. Basically any of the popular road/gravel machines should have a cheaper sibling, usually alloy and mechanical disc to bring it into/near your price bracket.

That's a lot of money for a bike without electronic shifting, non integrated bars and own brand wheels. You pay a lot of money for DA (and in this case the HiMod carbon), can save a lot by going Ultegra, the frames and builds are not exactly the same for the Synapse, but many other brands they are.

Are you after groupset or bike recommendations? :D

SRAM e tap is awesome .An absolute doddle to install as well. I moved from ultegra over to it and have been seriously impressed .

I've had such a hiatus from my road bike though recently, as I'm refusing to ride it in poor weather. It's just been single speed commuting for me recently so I need to get back on to getting up when it's a nice weekend and going for a proper ride
Such a doddle even @randomshenans set it up! ;)

No nice/warmer weekends for a few weeks at least. Continue hibernation! :D

-4 here this morning and things frozen solid. Snow in places but quite localised, no more than a few mm. Was too cold for a decent dump of it, but I heard quite a bit down south got it?

Caporegime
Righto - winter bib purchasing time, so some recommendations please.

Do I bite the bullet and get the Rapha Pro II winter bibs? The slightly cheaper Castelli Sorpasso 2? The seemingly ridiculously cheap Galibiers?

I need some that are windproof (or as windproof as can be). I have the Castelli Sorpasso v1s, love the pad and love almost everything about the tights, but the fit behind the knees is cause for concern (and obv lack of windproof materials). Plus it seems they might be releasing a v3 of the pad so perhaps I should just grit out this winter and wait. The Galibiers seem too good to be true at that price, but I can get a gillet and socks and still come way under the Rapha. I obviously rate the Rapha pro kit but its eye wateringly expensive.

First and foremost though I need some tights that are comfortable at ~0oC. I wore leg warmers as well as my Castelli's on Saturday and the extra layer is just so uncomfortable.

Soldato
Righto - winter bib purchasing time, so some recommendations please.

Do I bite the bullet and get the Rapha Pro II winter bibs? The slightly cheaper Castelli Sorpasso 2? The seemingly ridiculously cheap Galibiers?

I need some that are windproof (or as windproof as can be). I have the Castelli Sorpasso v1s, love the pad and love almost everything about the tights, but the fit behind the knees is cause for concern (and obv lack of windproof materials). Plus it seems they might be releasing a v3 of the pad so perhaps I should just grit out this winter and wait. The Galibiers seem too good to be true at that price, but I can get a gillet and socks and still come way under the Rapha. I obviously rate the Rapha pro kit but its eye wateringly expensive.

First and foremost though I need some tights that are comfortable at ~0oC. I wore leg warmers as well as my Castelli's on Saturday and the extra layer is just so uncomfortable.

If you dont mind a punt - Spexcel on aliexpress have a good pair that are thermal and water repellant (similar to the Rapha Shadow stuff) for about £35.

I've had a bit of their stuff and its good value for money - shamrock has actually got the bodysuit version (a mere £50) and I think other than being a little saggy at the crotch he is getting along well with it.

Soldato
<snip>

If you're uncomfortable with multiple layers then my usual suggestion won't work...! But I'll include it here as may help and of course I've got an opinion! ;)

I wear Sportful Fiandre NoRain bib shorts as they're a fleecy backed thicker material (compared to usual shorts) which is also thick enough to be pretty good windproofing & shower proofing. I wear them with leg warmers (Norain again, or some Gripgrab which fit me better - short legs) and then I wear DHB padless tights fleecy tights over the top (so 2 layers on legs, 3 on thighs, 2 on torso under whatever jersey). I don't tend to overheat doing this in temps anywhere below 5-6 degrees, as I dress my top layer to suit - normally a windproof but breathable jersey with base layer (although this morning was a thermal LS base, thermal LS jersey & windproof thermal jacket over the top!).

I do own a pair of the Sportful Fiandre NoRain bib tights with pad but they're a little too small for me (a medium, I'm normally a large) so only worn them a handful of times. Fit is much trickier as although the main fabric is largely the same as the shorts (quite stretchy), the solid leg panels are not, so quite tight on me. Big quads/calves! Would advise trying them on, but I am biased as I like Sportful kit for winter (and I'm particular about pads, their TC are great) and have not tried Rapha winter kit (only own summer shorts). The current Sportful NoRain tights seem to be 'Pro' ones, putting them in a similar bracket to the Raphas... :rolleyes:

Soldato
That's a lot of money for a bike without electronic shifting, non integrated bars and own brand wheels. You pay a lot of money for DA (and in this case the HiMod carbon), can save a lot by going Ultegra, the frames and builds are not exactly the same for the Synapse, but many other brands they are.

Are you after groupset or bike recommendations?
I'd save about 40% on that price with what I've found, or I've also seen the Di2 version for a good deal too.
TBH I'd prefer to stick with SRAM shifting, either Force (which seems to be really rare on completes), Red or Red E-tap. But I'm not seeing any decent deals on completes in my searches so far. The Synapse has my attention at the moment, but the Defy was also on my radar. Canyon won't have any deals anywhere so likely too expensive despite being available with Etap.

Back
Top Bottom