Fly-tipping

Soldato
One has to wonder why, which council members are taking backhanders to keep them employed

Doesn't even have to be that.

Large numbers of people are "Employed" in non-jobs in the public sector, either directly or through subcontracts, to make the unemployment figures look better.

The non-jobs dont actually have to make a profit as such. As long as they collect enough in "Fines" to pay their way.

If it wasn't for these non-jobs and the revenue stream that finances them, the unemployment figures would look a lot worse than they actually do currently.

Don't know if true, but I recall reading a claim some years ago that while the "Speed Camera" industry doesn't actually make much in profit for the treasury as such (And nor is there any evidence that it has made any statistically significant improvement in road safety). It does take a considerable number (300,000? Manufacture, installation, operation, maintenance, processing information, processing fines...And so on) mouth breathers nationwide off the unemployment register. all paid for directly or indirectly by the "Fines" that they collect

Soldato
The binmen around us should be done with fly-tipping. They seem to like leaving half of the rubbish in the middle of the road every week.

Soldato
Our local dump requires everything to be organised into separate categories, metals, electrics, plastics, garden waste, timber etc. I can about manage that without too much fuss, but what gets me is that there's a limit on how much you can take in, and anything that looks like commercial waste, plasterboard, bricks etc, you have to pay to dump that.

I agree that there should be a 'cleaning up tax' for companies that provide goods in materials that aren't biodegradable or easily recyclable.

Someone near me is a serial litterer of Strongbow Dark Fruits cans, over the space of a mile or so I find can after can squashed at the side of the road. I'd like to track him down, deflate his tyres and empty my bowels all over his car.

Soldato
Unfortunately not good. Councils employ private firms to do this. The more fines the hand out the more they make. The councils typically receive less than 10% of the fine itself.

Kingdom is one of the big companies and they are prolific at accusing innocent VICTIMS of offences they haven't commited. They also handle appeals which the accused never wins.
They've been exposed numerous times breaking the rules and regs yet councils continue to employ them.

In my town they were caught trying to bully and intimidate an 82 year old woman, claiming she'd thrown a cig butt down. She'd never smoked a day her life.

They need to brought to task but the councils won't.

One has to wonder why, which council members are taking backhanders to keep them employed

But that's a different issue to people being scruffy gits and dropping waste, fix both but one doesn't excuse the other.

Soldato
The binmen around us should be done with fly-tipping. They seem to like leaving half of the rubbish in the middle of the road every week.

Binmen used to do that here. One of the neighbours got fed up of it and on bin days for a few weeks followed them down the road with a camera filming them.

Doesn't happen anymore however it's a different crew now. Whether the company fired them or just moved the problem elsewhere I don't know.

But that's a different issue to people being scruffy gits and dropping waste, fix both but one doesn't excuse the other.

You're right but innocent people do not deserve being bullied, harrased and even followed home or to their car (there are houses with walking distance) and then the only appeal route be the company issuing the penalty who are always going to side with their bully becuase it makes them money.

Soldato
Our local dump requires everything to be organised into separate categories, metals, electrics, plastics, garden waste, timber etc. I can about manage that without too much fuss, but what gets me is that there's a limit on how much you can take in, and anything that looks like commercial waste, plasterboard, bricks etc, you have to pay to dump that.

My local dump is great, guys usually give me a hand emptying the car as well.
Lots of rubble, plaster, bricks, old skirting, floor boards, old wiring you name it. Been some days where I have made about 6 trips in one day with the Mondeo full.

Soldato
I thought everywhere did this already? In my mothers part of the country they won't even collect it from dec - mar. Still have to pay the fee though.
same here, ****ing annoys the **** outta me because other councils in the area don't charge. to make it worse, i renewed for this year and it had straight doubled in price. probably to cover the ****s on thecouncil giving themselves £30k rises etc.

Soldato
A filthy habit, and those that indulge in it should be brought to India for a few days to experience what a country looks like when a large percentage of the population flytip!

Soldato
same here, ****ing annoys the **** outta me because other councils in the area don't charge. to make it worse, i renewed for this year and it had straight doubled in price. probably to cover the ****s on thecouncil giving themselves £30k rises etc.

LB Redbridge tried a system of people having to signup and pay for garden waste a couple of years back. Very few people did and the local recycling centre couldn’t cope with the huge amount of green waste they were getting. They changed it back to free collections every other week and harmony was restored.

Soldato
Some places still charge for green waste. I think I'd just dump it all in the recycling, or general waste bin as well lol

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
It would be fascinating to see a Profit and Loss analysis for Councils based on how much they spend on rubbish collection and recycling -vs- how much they spend on clearing up the mess that the general public causes.

I suspect that whilst responding to Central Government cutbacks, the temptation to allow the selfish public to fester in their own filth would win the day :(

Soldato
A lot of the crap I see fly tipped are items which can be just put in your general waste bin!? It doesn't make any sense to me. Why go to the effort of driving somewhere when you can just put it in your general waste bin and have it collected in a proper manner?

Slightly unrelated but a few weeks ago I had a skip outside my house, and some guy put a child's toy in it. Looking back at it I saw him on my camera walk all the way down the street with it to purposely put it in my skip. So he has seen previously that I had a skip, had a broken toy at home just waiting for the opportunity, left his house with it, walked to my skip, and placed it in the corner, obscured. Just put it in your bloody general waste bin!!

Soldato
I walked to my cousins house today to collect something and I cut across the common, a mistake in hindsight because it was a bit boggy but anyway I was approaching half way across and noticed tyre marks in the grass so I follow them with my eyes and saw a pile of bricks and rubble. Five minutes later after crossing the common I get to an entrance to a nature walk which closely follows in parallel a river/stream and there was a huge mound of fly tipped bricks and rubble and concrete posts etc dumped all around a tree right next to the gateway onto the nature path.

Soldato
General waste? Nothing except for council tax! WTH are we paying for if we cant throw away general waste! My local tip charges extra for rubble and plaster board etc which I think is a joke too but if they take it any further fly tipping will just increase.

My dad actually works at the local waste incinerator and since the rules come in of paying extra for rubble he says the amount of rubble being put into general waste bins has increased massively

Back
Top Bottom