Subnautica Below Zero Early Access - Live Streaming 30th January

Associate
A heads up for what should be a fantastic game:
Note - "You are invited to a special Subnautica livestream event[unknownworlds.com]! Please join us on January 30th, 6PM UTC as we premiere the Below Zero Early Access Trailer and launch Early Access on the Steam store.

Below Zero is not finished. It is full of bugs. It lacks polish, runs poorly, and is missing features. We are offering Early Access not because we want your money, but because we want your feedback. We make better games when we make them with you.

You can watch the stream on YouTube, Twitch[www.twitch.tv], or on the Below Zero Steam Store page. Checkout the the Early Access site[unknownworlds.com] to see a countdown to stream start, and add the stream start time to your calendar."

Associate
...We are offering Early Access not because we want your money, but because we want your feedback...

Says developer selling it for 19.99$ :rolleyes:

Here's an idea; how about letting the people who've supported you and paid for the game years ago, actually have early access for nothing, seeing as it's feedback, and not our money that you're after. Make it free for a limited time or something but don't take the p*ss with stupid sentences like that.

Soldato
Says developer selling it for 19.99$ :rolleyes:

Here's an idea; how about letting the people who've supported you and paid for the game years ago, actually have early access for nothing, seeing as it's feedback, and not our money that you're after. Make it free for a limited time or something but don't take the p*ss with stupid sentences like that.

Really? You expect them to let you have it for free? When did you actually buy the first game? A search through the Subnautica thread shows only one post from you in Dec 2018, stating that you'd played the game religiously for weeks a few months before Dec 2018. It was a full release in January 2018. Did you buy it from them during their early access period? If you did, then surely you know that it was practically a full working game during most of the EA period. When I picked it up in Dec 2016 it was a perfectly playable game with tons of features, and something so completely different to anything else that's out there, even now. Since that time they added way more and it was worth everything I paid for it (£7.49 back then). I'd happily pay £30 for it knowing how good the developers were with the early access of Subnautica. I've spent more time and had more fun in Subnautica than I've had in most other games in recent years. That says a lot. I don't think that the developers are asking for much. After all, you get the full game after it releases anyway. It's not like you're paying to try it out and then you have to pay for it again.

Soldato
Seriously can't wait. One of the best PC exploration games ever from a great outfit. What they did with the Unity engine is quite astonishing. They still haven't managed to get around the oddball popup issues but that is just one con vs a ton of pros.

Man of Honour
Really? You expect them to let you have it for free? When did you actually buy the first game? A search through the Subnautica thread shows only one post from you in Dec 2018, stating that you'd played the game religiously for weeks a few months before Dec 2018. It was a full release in January 2018. Did you buy it from them during their early access period? If you did, then surely you know that it was practically a full working game during most of the EA period. When I picked it up in Dec 2016 it was a perfectly playable game with tons of features, and something so completely different to anything else that's out there, even now. Since that time they added way more and it was worth everything I paid for it (£7.49 back then). I'd happily pay £30 for it knowing how good the developers were with the early access of Subnautica. I've spent more time and had more fun in Subnautica than I've had in most other games in recent years. That says a lot. I don't think that the developers are asking for much. After all, you get the full game after it releases anyway. It's not like you're paying to try it out and then you have to pay for it again.

This.

Soldato
I got subnactica for free and normally hate exploration games but absolutely loved it. While I am against the idea of early access this will be the first time I do it, in the hope it is as good as the first.

Soldato
Haven't watched any vids on this or read any pre release information, i'll be buying it based purely on just how good Subnautica was, it is THE example of early access done right.

Soldato
This should be a DLC as it's just a re-skin.

Are you saying that because you think the price should be lower? Most DLC is between £15 and £25 these days. This is an entire standalone game for the same price. What makes you think it's just a re-skin? I've been through their development board a few times and there's a huge amount of new stuff that's been added to the game, with loads more stuff. The environments alone are completely new redesigns. I think saying it's a re-skin is a little unfair to the developers and the work they've put in.

Associate

Just...wow

I can't believe you actually went to the effort of seeking me out in a forum :D:confused: Go out or something?

My point is, don't say "We're not after your money", while asking for money.

Soldato
Are you saying that because you think the price should be lower? Most DLC is between £15 and £25 these days. This is an entire standalone game for the same price. What makes you think it's just a re-skin? I've been through their development board a few times and there's a huge amount of new stuff that's been added to the game, with loads more stuff. The environments alone are completely new redesigns. I think saying it's a re-skin is a little unfair to the developers and the work they've put in.

It's just a re-skin.
Even some of the fish are used in the game.
It is supposed to be on the same planet, but you can't travel from one part to another.

If it's a new game then it should start when you take off from the planet to excape in the first game.

Soldato
Just...wow

I can't believe you actually went to the effort of seeking me out in a forum :D:confused: Go out or something?

My point is, don't say "We're not after your money", while asking for money.

Thanks for your response. It just so happens that I was out last night, playing D&D with a few friends for three hours. Time is rather limited though, being a father of two, but I grab whatever I can, whenever I can. I don't want you to feel that this was borne out of your kindly, sage advice though. We've had it arranged for a few weeks now, and is a standing event for whenever we can all get time to meet up. Anyway, I digress.

Effectively, that’s a no to my questions then. You purchased the game at retail rather than being an early access supporter, which is why you don’t know it was worth the price of most full games even during early access. I searched for your name in the Subnautica thread (it requires little effort) because I was quite active in the Subnautica thread and don’t remember seeing your name come up in any discussions around the time of early access, despite it being a few years ago. I have a fairly decent memory. You’re also a member of this forum so I’m not quite sure why you think it’s ok to tell me to get out more. It’s hypocritical. We’re both reading and posting comments up on an Internet forum. I just happened to think that you hadn't been a very active poster in a thread I contributed to quite a fair amount (and was right in this thinking) and wanted to confirm before I posted up saying I think you’re silly for saying you should get the game for free for supporting them for "years" previously. I don't see how that makes me sad, though I suspect your reaction has more to do with how you’ve been shown up in this thread more than anything else. Anyway, calm down dude, it’s just some words on the Internet :)

Finally, you failed to elaborate your point in your previous post. You simply posted their statement with rolleyes included (because you'd clearly know their real reasons, right?) and then went on to say how you should be entitled to it free because you've been a supporter for "years". My point, which has been made by others in here, is that the early access of Subnautica was so well done in every way, that most of us that played it would be absolutely happy to pay for a similar experience. We had the game years (actual years, not your "years") before the release and had a fully working game that we could spend hours in. And now there's an opportunity for more of the same. Some of us see the value in spending money on it and are happy to do so. I'm happy to support a developer that doesn't take the mick with an early access release. If you're not, that's fine, but don't post made-up rubbish as your argument. You don't know what you're talking about.

So anyway, back on topic. I'll be buying this as soon as it unlocks, but everyone in here already knew that :)

Soldato
It's just a re-skin.
Even some of the fish are used in the game.
It is supposed to be on the same planet, but you can't travel from one part to another.

If it's a new game then it should start when you take off from the planet to excape in the first game.

It's on the same planet, so yes, of course some of the fish are used in the game. But there are new vehicles, there's more land exploration (a land vehicle for this) and loads of other stuff that isn't in the previous game. How can the game start when you escape in the first game? You're not playing the same person in the new game either, you're someone different on an outpost in an ice region of the planet. I'm not sure what your criteria is for DLC, but it's a totally different game, just set on the same planet. I'm not sure that your argument of re-using stuff from a previous game makes it DLC. Otherwise Doom 2 can't be classed as a new game, it'd just be a re-skin and DLC because it has the same creatures, the same dingy corridors, the same weapons, but it's a different story and campaign. The new Deus Ex should have been DLC because it uses many of the same elements from the previous games, including setting, augmentations, and even gameplay. Red Dead Redemption 2 is just DLC because, as in the first, it's got horses, vast amounts of open land, guns, shooting people, and one-horse towns.

Man of Honour
It's on the same planet, so yes, of course some of the fish are used in the game. But there are new vehicles, there's more land exploration (a land vehicle for this) and loads of other stuff that isn't in the previous game. How can the game start when you escape in the first game? You're not playing the same person in the new game either, you're someone different on an outpost in an ice region of the planet. I'm not sure what your criteria is for DLC, but it's a totally different game, just set on the same planet. I'm not sure that your argument of re-using stuff from a previous game makes it DLC. Otherwise Doom 2 can't be classed as a new game, it'd just be a re-skin and DLC because it has the same creatures, the same dingy corridors, the same weapons, but it's a different story and campaign. The new Deus Ex should have been DLC because it uses many of the same elements from the previous games, including setting, augmentations, and even gameplay. Red Dead Redemption 2 is just DLC because, as in the first, it's got horses, vast amounts of open land, guns, shooting people, and one-horse towns.

It does seem an odd argument, by his criteria Bioshock 2 should be DLC for Bioshock 1 etc. I don't know, seems like someone just hating on the game for the sake of being someone hating on the game. Theres always one I suppose

Back
Top Bottom