Lara Croft's facial model - 2013 reboot vs ROTTR + SOTTR

Associate
OP
PC 2013 fan here. I was dismayed when they changed her in console version and the sequels, they removed her distinctiveness.

She looked so cute and distinct on PC:

Only blind person can prefer the console/sequel one :)

100% agree. Playing through the reboot with the PC 2013 Lara, you were in the trenches with her every step of the way, and the cutscenes like the above reinforced that. You can see the concern in her face having made it up that tower with the hope of finally getting a radio signal out to save her and her friends lives, whereas she looks a bit plasticine in the definitive edition.

Either way, I could've grudgingly accepted the definitive edition Lara for ROTTR, but instead they went even further and made her almost unrecognisable (for the worse). She looks like what I imagine her mother / older sister would look like, rather than her.

Associate
OP
Just finished SOTTR, and have ROTTR and the TR 2013 reboot installed. Fired up the original reboot, and holy crap is Lara TALLER than in SOTTR. Either that, or my ultrawide screen aspect ratio is playing tricks with me.

I recently rated SOTTR as a 6.5, and I have to admit, I think it'll be the old Lara that draws me back again for replayability. There is something a tad primitive about her animations in 2013 compared with SOTTR, but the 2013 reboot definitely feels far more like the real Lara to me.

ROTTR gameplay feels surprisingly good despite her updated model and my apparent prejudice towards it, though maybe that's because this time I can play it consistently smoothly, whereas it was a stuttering mess to be suffered through when on my first play through with an essentially completely different system.

I begrudgingly admit, there's still a lot to be admired in ROTTR that was missing SOTTR, even if Lara herself was already transformed into something closer to her SOTTR version than the 2013 reboot her.

Last edited:
Associate
I've looked this up before, and it seems the majority prefer her face/model in ROTTR over the 2013 reboot.

Personally I far prefer her face as per the 2013 PC reboot. I've even looked for mods to give her that face in the ROTTR, and all I've found is calls for a mod to switch her face in the 2013 reboot with the ROTTR model, with a minority who prefer it the other way round (like me).

Where does this forum stand on that? Are we who prefer Lara 2013 the extreme minority?

Much prefer the new Lara

smiling-face-with-heart-eyes.png

Associate
OP
Much prefer the new Lara

smiling-face-with-heart-eyes.png

Much prefer the old Lara. WTF is wrong with anyone who doesn't.

New Lara looks extremely dopey dropping on to insta-death spikes. Old Lara, if I recall correctly, did so with dignity (I probably don't recall correctly). :p

Old Lara is also about 5'8, new Lara is about 5'5".

I could go on, but I already researched this topic ages ago and saw I was in the minority when it came to preferring 2013 Lara over the ROTTR/SOTTR Lara. This will be an injustice I fear I will have to live with for a long time, until the Tomb Raider 2028 reboot2 of course, which will make Cyberpunk 2077 look like Doom 2.

Last edited:
Associate
Much prefer the old Lara. WTF is wrong with anyone who doesn't.

New Lara looks extremely dopey dropping on to insta-death spikes. Old Lara, if I recall correctly, did so with dignity (I probably don't recall correctly). :p

Old Lara is also about 5'8, new Lara is about 5'5".

I could go on, but I already researched this topic ages ago and saw I was in the minority when it came to preferring 2013 Lara over the ROTTR/SOTTR Lara. This will be an injustice I fear I will have to live with for a long time, until the Tomb Raider 2028 reboot2 of course, which will make Cyberpunk 2077 look like Doom 2.
Just avoid the spikes :p

Associate
OP
Just avoid the spikes :p

Her personality is dopey as well this time. Unlike TR 2013 she seems to have no real friends, but excels at being a 'virtue-helping' adventurer to the indigenous folk. She also yells for Jonah a bit too much, who actually gets ****** off at her this time around at least once :p I won't spoil the storyline, but it's kinda all directly her fault too in this outing.

So much preferring Lara 2013 on every level. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom