• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia stock tumbles

Soldato
They can't throw money at developers to implement ray-tracing forever. Plus many will decide it's just not worth the time, for the less than 1% of people who will actually use it.

Caporegime
This is not going to go down well with nVidia shareholders, but it will be music to the ears of the lawyers contemplating suing nVidia over the claims they could manage the crypto mining industry, as appears to show nVidia have lied about the effect it had upon their business by quite some tune.

https://markets.businessinsider.com...igger-than-admitted-analyst-2019-1-1027914829

Nvidia's crypto problem is bigger than it admits, an RBC analyst says after crunching the numbers.

"We think NVDA generated $1.95 billion in total revenue related to crypto/blockchain," RBC analyst Mitch Steves said in a note out Wednesday. "This compares to company's statement that it generated around $602 million over the same time period."

By his calculation, the total crypto revenue from April 2017 to July 2018 should be around $2.75 billion, based on the hash rate of ethereum and other cryptocurrencies that require graphics processing units. Steves estimates Nvidia captured around 75% of the total crypto market during that period and AMD captured the rest. There is no way to actually confirm the numbers, according to Steves.

It is a strange newspice because it seems to completely ignore the fact that Nvidia made $2bn from the crypto craze.
There was a bubble, Nvidia exploited it and made a mountain of cash, the bubble ended and revenue will fall back. Sure there was an overstocked inventory when the bubble popped but that was relatively quickly resolved and the channel is now nearly empty before the GTX16 GPUs come along.

It is not liek AMD isn;t affected either, they exploited crypto sales just failed to generate the revenue Nvidia did. So AMD made $800m, Nvidia made $2bn, both companies will ee reduced revenue now.Nvidia more so but but then they made an extra $1.2bn compared to AMD anyway.

Associate
It is a strange newspice because it seems to completely ignore the fact that Nvidia made $2bn from the crypto craze.
There was a bubble, Nvidia exploited it and made a mountain of cash, the bubble ended and revenue will fall back. Sure there was an overstocked inventory when the bubble popped but that was relatively quickly resolved and the channel is now nearly empty before the GTX16 GPUs come along.

It is not liek AMD isn;t affected either, they exploited crypto sales just failed to generate the revenue Nvidia did. So AMD made $800m, Nvidia made $2bn, both companies will ee reduced revenue now.Nvidia more so but but then they made an extra $1.2bn compared to AMD anyway.

The trouble with that argument is it is exactly the reason nVidia is being sued by shareholders. nVidia said that it would be unaffected by the fall off in crypto and as you have noted that isn't true and they have been hugely affected by it.

Soldato
The trouble with that argument is it is exactly the reason nVidia is being sued by shareholders. nVidia said that it would be unaffected by the fall off in crypto and as you have noted that isn't true and they have been hugely affected by it.
It's a difficult one because people are wrong all the time :). I think I said above suing is a bit extreme and stick by that. Moving forward taking anything the CEO says with a pinch of salt is better. Reason I think suing is extreme is because NV do not have to disclose everything. If at the time the CEO thought other markets would make up for the crypto loss then what he said wasn't really lying. They just got it completely wrong.

Man of Honour
They can't throw money at developers to implement ray-tracing forever. Plus many will decide it's just not worth the time, for the less than 1% of people who will actually use it.

They don't need to - but they do need to invest enough to get the ball rolling and they simply haven't. While over simplified the nice thing about a decent hybrid ray-tracing system is that if properly implemented it doesn't mess with the ability to also render the scene in a more traditional manner.

Gaming wise, the 20 series just looks under-powered for raytracing. Asking devs to support RTX rather than just DXR was a gamble, similar to their previous techs, perhaps with the same results.

The 2080ti has plenty of scope for hybrid implementations especially if it is more like a realtime implementation of older lightmapping techniques (the ones that had radiosity, etc. not just shadow mapping) plus caustics - it doesn't need a full scene, full resolution implementation with a crazy high number of bounce passes to get decent graphics that are a step up from where we are currently. The rest of the range seems kind of pointless though for anything other than some basic reflections.

Soldato
Can we expect further optimisations to make an RTX 2080 useful at 5MP Resolution in high settings with tracing on though?
The 2080Ti is just far too much money. I refuse to pay that much.

Associate
Aye, I keep trying to justify to myself the £1100+ for a decent 2080ti, but I just can't get around it - There's just so much more I can do with that money. I could probably justify it if it was closer to £700 like the 2080 is.

My 1070 was good value (£450) as I've had two solid years of reasonable 4k gaming out of it. But would I get two + years of good value out of a 2080ti? Probably not. Would I even get that out of a 2080? Probably not also. I think if I got a 2080, I'd be disappointed in how little an improvement it would be compared to the cost of it

Permabanned
The 2080ti has plenty of scope for hybrid implementations especially if it is more like a realtime implementation of older lightmapping techniques (the ones that had radiosity, etc. not just shadow mapping) plus caustics - it doesn't need a full scene, full resolution implementation with a crazy high number of bounce passes to get decent graphics that are a step up from where we are currently. The rest of the range seems kind of pointless though for anything other than some basic reflections.

Pointless, unless consoles and PCs are all runnning the 2080Ti. Also remember that one of the flaunted benefits of raytracing was that developers would have shorter development cycles due to spending less time developing more traditional rendering.

Man of Honour
Pointless, unless consoles and PCs are all runnning the 2080Ti.

The beauty of a hybrid solution if done properly is that you can develop a game for console without even thinking about ray tracing and implement ray tracing on the PC version without it having any impact on how you design the game - in theory. Not so easily done with a full scene ray tracer which would also replace traditional texture shading, etc. but then you'd need considerably more hardware performance to make that realistic anyhow.

Also remember that one of the flaunted benefits of raytracing was that developers would have shorter development cycles due to spending less time developing more traditional rendering.

That is a long way off by any measure.

Caporegime

But I doubt that case is going anywhere. the revenue report by nvidia is heavily audited and is going to be accurate. Nvidia could try to lie a litel about where the additional revenue came form but they coudln;lt just make 2bn appear form thin air.

Gaming sales were well known and there was no large growth so any large gains was down to crypto. Nvidia warned investors of a decline in sales due to crypto. So if any legal case is to go against them then it would have to prove that somehow Nvidia made massively more money than the 600m attributed.

I actually don;t think Nvidia saw 2bn of additional revenue due to crypto. They didn't even increase production until quite late in the boom, hence they ended up with excess inventory.

You should note the article in questions has no hard evidence or facts, they are just vaguely guesstimating and assign portions.

We can see what happens to Nvidia revenue next quater. Will it drop a portion of 600m or a portion of 2bn?

Associate
More woes for Jensen:

https://www.ft.com/content/e2b9bbc6-29e0-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

SoftBank’s Vision Fund has sold its entire stake in Nvidia in the latest blow for the California-based chipmaker, shares in which have nearly halved since the end of September. SoftBank said on Wednesday the fund had sold the Nvidia shares, which were valued at ¥398bn ($3.63bn) as of December 31. The fund held about 29m shares prior to the divestment in January, making it the fourth-largest investor in the company, according to Bloomberg data.

Man of Honour

More woes for Jensen:

https://www.ft.com/content/e2b9bbc6-29e0-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

SoftBank’s Vision Fund has sold its entire stake in Nvidia in the latest blow for the California-based chipmaker, shares in which have nearly halved since the end of September. SoftBank said on Wednesday the fund had sold the Nvidia shares, which were valued at ¥398bn ($3.63bn) as of December 31. The fund held about 29m shares prior to the divestment in January, making it the fourth-largest investor in the company, according to Bloomberg data.

I dunno if it is a more general trend - not been watching stuff closely enough or knowledgeable enough but seems to be some sentiment lately of an impending crash with people getting money out to invest when it happens in the hope of picking up stock cheap. That kind of behaviour can also precipitate a crash.

Permabanned
Any company viewed as scum by thier customers is going to worry investors because people only buy Nvidia due to the performance. But this means Nvidia operate on a knife edge.

As if people see AMD ever come back or anyone for that matter out will come the knives. Freesync support was just one of these preparations for a good backstabbing. All we need now is someone who supports VRR to offer 2080ti performance at a good price and everyone would shift away from them.

Back
Top Bottom