Southern Softies

Soldato
i am sure that if they could the BBC would broadcast warnings that viewers might well be affected by images of falling snow or rain and provide a telephone help line number. We have become a pathetic nation, or a least large chunks of it, when we get a bit of bad weather.

Out and about most people seem fairly able to cope well, its the media that drives this mass hysteria.

Soldato
Except for when all the other cars on the road stop due to not having winter tyres and the road grinds to a halt. Better off just sucking up the two days a decade that it is an issue down south.

Well, sometimes you can get past and wave at them as you go buy.

But if everyone had them, it wouldn't happen.

Soldato
i am sure that if they could the BBC would broadcast warnings that viewers might well be affected by images of falling snow or rain and provide a telephone help line number. We have become a pathetic nation, or a least large chunks of it, when we get a bit of bad weather.
Or we have become a nation of luxury car drivers all of which are worse in the snow than cars of 20 years ago and we now commute much longer distances than at any point in our history while snowy weather has become less and less common? Everyone loves a good exaggeration especially the 24\7 media!

Soldato
Well, sometimes you can get past and wave at them as you go buy.

But if everyone had them, it wouldn't happen.
And you've also created a whole industry in storing second sets of tyres\wheels and swapping them over even though most people will have no need of winter tyres most years given current weather trends. The government would love you though think of the extra tax and fines they could levy!

Associate
Media coverage is always exaggerated when the south have a bit of bad weather or too much sun.

We've had the same problems and worse, but we just get on with our lives.

Associate
I think the point is that when there is snow up north it is a non issue. As soon as the south get some it is on the news 24/7. Fair enough it is rarer and maybe they are less prepared than northerners.

But it juts annoys us because of the massive southern bias and london centric media.

Soldato
I loved the news report on Friday morning, some soundbite from a woman who got stuck (having tried to leave for home at pretty much exactly the time the weather warnings said the snow would get bad)...

"I got stuck at about half past 4 and it's now 1 in the morning... the roads are completely blocked, it's chaos... We haven't seen a single gritter or snow plough!!!!"

Yeah, you haven't... because as you said earlier in your own sentence; the roads are ******* blocked by daft ***** like you :p

Caporegime
Or we have become a nation of luxury car drivers all of which are worse in the snow than cars of 20 years ago and we now commute much longer distances than at any point in our history while snowy weather has become less and less common? Everyone loves a good exaggeration especially the 24\7 media!
I’m wondering if my nigh 2 ton near 20yr old 7 Series is any better or worse than modern cars in the snow, it’s got wide low profile tyres (although tbh similar sizes these days are found on cars like Astras etc) I had no issues (despite living on a hill with untreated roads) but saw no end of people stuck simply because they thought flooring the throttle was the way to make progress, seems to be down to lack of experience and / or common sense from what I’ve observed.

I had a delivery last week where I sat for two hours waiting for the goods in staff to arrive eventually a guy walked in having abandoned his car at the bottom of the hill the industrial estate was on, the same hill I’d driven up earlier and the only issue I had leaving was negotiating the plethora of dumped cars - and 4x4’s....

Bar a few locations it’s not been particularly bad imo yet as you say from media reports you’d think the second ice age had arrived with a vengeance!

Back
Top Bottom