Southern Softies

Soldato
Nope, as already mentioned, it’s almost entirely the tyres. The rest of it is the driver.

Not entirely true. That's why light, FWD cars are pretty good in the snow. Less inertia means less chance of getting stuck.

Edit: Years ago a friend of mine bought a Yugo as a winter hack. Hideously bad car but it was fantastic in the snow.

Caporegime
Not entirely true. That's why light, FWD cars are pretty good in the snow. Less inertia means less chance of getting stuck.

Edit: Years ago a friend of mine bought a Yugo as a winter hack. Hideously bad car but it was fantastic in the snow.

Light FWD cars are pretty awful in snow, but are better in it than RWD cars, in part because of the greater mass over the driving wheels. They’re ok on slippery roads but don’t have the inertia to continue in snow as well as larger vehicles.

Basically it depends on what you’re discussing. A small, light vehicle will stop better on ice because it has less inertia (all things being equal - eg tyres, driving/brakes), but will struggle in deeper snow, where momentum and ground clearance helps massively.

You see that all the time here, small salons struggling through 8” of snow, while the larger, heavier, higher vehicles brush it off and drive almost as normal. Again this is assuming similar tyres and people that know how to drive for the conditions.

Soldato
as a yorkshireman living in cornwall i guess we do have a little more experiamce of dealing with adverse weather .i was caught in the jam they keep showing on the a30 (where they crashed out in the jamaica inn) and the driving was pretty pathetic ,ist gear full revs .getting nowhere ,ive an old non turbo fabia with van tyres and thats perfect ,only ground clearance is lacking .wasnt any time i was near been stuck it was just some other people

Soldato
Having moved back down south after 5 years in Yorkshire, I can say with confidence that northerners are equally useless in the snow.

Caporegime
Englismen trying to fight over who can handle snow better :D

None of you. The whole country comes to a halt with a few inches!

The only place I've lived that doesn't do too bad is the Highlands.

Associate
I always find it funny to see peoples reactions to snow :p Ok, im born and raised in Sweden where the typical winter day would be about -20C and 15-20 cm of snow (at least). Where I live in Essex it have happened that I've walked faster than people driving in the snow..

Caporegime
We get 1-2 weeks of snow a year so all our cars come with summer tyres.

Other countries (like Sweden) get 3 months+ and so they have to have a set of winter tyres and/or snow chains.

Soldato
But I do agree the media in need for a 24hr story make a mountain out of every little thing, it's pathetic, not the people just the media, I think as a nation we would be better off without 24/7 news.
Totally agree with this 24\7 news is awful I can`t stand this need to have reporters waist deep in snow or one foot in a flooded river it`s so needless!

Soldato
i am sure that if they could the BBC would broadcast warnings that viewers might well be affected by images of falling snow or rain and provide a telephone help line number. We have become a pathetic nation, or a least large chunks of it, when we get a bit of bad weather.

Back
Top Bottom