Has QLED caught up with OLED for movies and HDR?

Soldato
I need a new TV. A few years ago it seemed that OLED was the go to choice with perfect black. A cursory look at recent TV reviews on avforums indicates QLED is a viable alternative. Is that only at the ultra high end or are the two technologies broadly comparable

Associate
All of the 2018 OLED TVs are very good; offering consistent performance, basically you have 3 options:

LG: Good all rounder, with excellent OS and HDR format support
Panasonic: Extremely accurate picture; but no Dolby Vision support.
Sony: Extremely good motion, but slightly worse input lag.

In terms of the QLED offerings, the only model that trades blows with the OLED is the Samsung Q9. It's decent. You aren't going to get OLED contrast out of the thing, but it has a few tricks up is sleeve, such as variable refresh rate and extremely high peak brightness.

I'm an OLED guy myself, but the Q9 is a valid option.

Soldato
OP
I've always wanted an OLED so im inclined that way .

The next confusing thing is HDR support and whether I should care about hdr 10+ or Dolby vision more .It seems that OLED tvs only support one standard in general .

Soldato
I'm lucky enough to have a Panny 55 oled for house and a Sammy Qled for my mancave. Oled for video and TV. Qled for gaming. Nothing beats oled for HDR movies and those gorgeous black levels. Qled is a fine alternative and if I had to have just one tv big TV that does everything I want I think I'd have to go Qled. Fortunately I don't have to pick.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, the comparisons I've seen in Richersounds and the like, QLED just doesn't come close to me. You just don't get anywhere near the contrast that you do with OLED. I'd take an OLED all day long, especially now the prices seem to be dropping with all the "offers" that seem to be a DFS style all-year round thing

Soldato
No the the contrast is still lacking.
Only the Samsung Q9F gets close and thats with the local dimming feature which has the effect of outright erasing detail (stars in space disappear etc)
I think it still comes down to viewing environment, dark room OLED lack of brightness is a non-issue, QLED for bright rooms.

Soldato
I think it still comes down to viewing environment, dark room OLED lack of brightness is a non-issue, QLED for bright rooms.
I agree fully on this

I did not own my OLED in the summer months so I can't comment on it. But my plasma was terrible when the sun used to shine through the window in the summer months

Caporegime
Not for me, as others have mentioned I would only go for a QLED if I could only view my TV in a bright room and had a preference for over vibrant and bright settings.

Mates own QLEDs and always comment on the depth to the image on my OLED when they're round. The only thing that will dampen it for me is if I do get burn in, but no signs of it yet.

Associate
On OLED burn-in (technically pixel-wear):

I have OLEDs in most rooms and I haven't experienced burn-in. However, I don't watch TV news channels as a routine. My main use-case is gaming, TV and movies; so there's a diversity of content. With this in mind, I wouldn't anticipate any burn-in on my sets, but your mileage may vary. For what it's worth, one of my LG OLEDs is used primarily as a gaming PC monitor so it doesn't get any special baby treatment. I just use it as I would any other display, bearing in mind my intended use-case.

If your main use-case is to watch the news, or to display static elements on -say- a computer; OLED isn't for you; and -to be honest- wouldn't recommend a high end TV (including QLED offerings) for such a use-case anyway. Something far cheaper would suffice.

It's also worth bearing in mind that -as with all displays- there is a panel lottery. Always buy from a reputable store. My most recent OLED acquisition, a 65" C8, had terrible vertical banding which was visible in everyday content (ie, not just on a 5% grey slide). Thankfully John Lewis carried out a screen swap and the replacement is much better. If you get severe banding on an OLED, or severe DSE on a QLED, push for a replacement; whilst some picture defects are normal, they shouldn't be evident in everyday content.

Last edited:
Associate
we got a q8, and the downsides are the viewing angle (it greys out the more off dead center you are, dont lose sharpness just things lose there vibrancy), and the local dimming isnt as good as oled. and its got a satin finish to the panel, ment to be very good for anti reflective stuff, but maybe partly why it not have that oled look. things still look really good on there though :)

Soldato
Indeed.

I think the main issue people had with QLED was the stupid pricing when first released.

The only QLED that would be on par with an OLED for me is the Q9FN, which is still crazy expensive. The pixel level dimming of an OLED is straight up addictive, and they're also plenty bright enough in a well lit room thanks to how contrasty they are - I've been super surprised by how easy it is to view content on my new B8 OLED, even though actual brightness level is lower than my XE85

I also absolutely love the lack of any backlight bleed and clouding. Content looks absolutely stunning, and it's the first display that has made my girlfriend go wow

Then there's the near instantaneous response times of OLED pixels - gaming is a pleasure on it thanks to the lack of motion blur

But at the same time, I know that it's not for everyone

img

img

Associate
I went on holiday for 2 weeks and came home to my LG oled which the kids must have put on before we left. it had crashed at somepoint and had the same image on the screen for some time but is is fine

V F

V F

Soldato
Same here am also an OLED person as for me it mainly the great black levels that give an amazing picture..

I remember when I first bought my OLED it took me about a week to get used to the blacks being so black :D

I remember when @MOOGLEYS said that and he didn't like it at first. Then you think nothing of it and everything else starts to look dull.

Soldato
OP
The 65" b8 on offer at the moment looks appealing. Do I care that b8 can't do HDR and HFR concurrently or is that a tech that will be relevant in 2-3yrs+

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom