• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
Is that total system power or just the gpu? Seems overboard if its just the gpu.

Tweaktown say GPU power, they also say how loud it is under full load. I have a feeling AMD are selling these on the back of 16g of memory, but of course the Extra memory adds to the heat.
if the radeon 7II is your card of choice then it might be better to wait and see if any better cooling solutions are offered in the next few months. so far I think the RTX2080 comes out much better, cooler, quieter, less power draw and more features. and the MSI tripple fan comes in at the same price as the £799 VII cards

Associate
Finally got to check my emails today...
Goods Shipped:
£541.66 x 1 - Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA VII 16GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
£0.00 x 1 - FREE WITH GX-38S-SP: AMD Raise The Game Fully Loaded Promo - Resident Evil 2, The Division 2 & Devil MayCry 5

Thanks to Gibbo and all at overclockers for the heads up, managed to grab it at 13:58.

I've never added something to the basket and gone to checkout so quickly in my life. Just looked for the word sapphire, add to basket, checkout, hammer in my card numbers, wait for bank to txt me confirmation code and breathe.
One of only 30 :D. A rare club for now at least.

Caporegime
Goods Shipped:
£0.00 x 1 - FREE WITH GX-38S-SP: AMD Raise The Game Fully Loaded Promo - Resident Evil 2, The Division 2 & Devil MayCry 5

Thanks to Gibbo and all at overclockers for the heads up, managed to grab it at 13:58.

I've never added something to the basket and gone to checkout so quickly in my life. Just looked for the word sapphire, add to basket, checkout, hammer in my card numbers, wait for bank to txt me confirmation code and breathe.

Only the Volta and titan rtx clubs are more exclusive :p

Soldato
Honestly, I'd avoid buying this card just based on the stability issues. It's already cropped up a few times with my V64 and I can't imagine dealing with it more frequently (compared to 0 on Polaris). And if that wasn't enough, the noise would be unbearable. There's some alleviation for that with UV but that's no cure nor a guaranteed one.

I was perhaps the most hyped out of everyone for a 16gb vram, but they just didn't deliver on a good enough card overall. Either way, happy to see it be out there at least. The RTX cards with gimped vram are frankly a joke.

If only we knew 2 years ago what a champion the 1080ti would prove to be and for how long. Would've definitely gotten one and slapped some extra warranty on top. Ride it out till Arcturus.

Great review from Computerbase, which did some actually interesting testing unlike all these other sites (5K & Wolfenstein 2 w/ Image Streaming). Also really like GPU Report, they are a great outlet!

Permabanned
The problem with AMD releases is too many people over expect & then it becomes a moan & groan event.

The 14nm Vega's took a lot of stick on release & deservedly so but it ended up a good product & today it's one of the best buys at it's price point.
I expect it'll be a similar situation with the VII, It'll require those of us who bought one to use the AMD report forms as often as needed for a few weeks,
We need to be reporting everything we find wrong and that way it'll help AMD's driver team speed up the driver clean up.
As for the temps & noise issues being reported it was kinda obvious it would be an issue but I'm sure we'll all be able to get it to acceptable levels with a bit of undervolting & tweaking.
Personally I'm going to be keeping an eye out for something like an Alphacool Eiswolf AIO cooler that I can stick on it, I almost bought one for my reference V64 but didn't,
instead I sold the V64 & went for the Sapphire Nitro model, We've been told non-reference models wont be coming for the VII so this time I will grab one.

https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

Man of Honour
Explain it to me like I'm 63...

...why would anyone (in their right (lucid) mind) pay £800 for exactly the same card (but with a differently inked cardboard box, and logos), when they could get it for £650?

Because the forum has a gigabyte rep, @GIGA-Man (top fella for sorting stuff!) and because I was late to the party due to the qe2 bridge closure that ruined my day. I got to a DC in Wellingbrough late, had a look, determined that £150 isnt the end of the world and pressed the buy button. That was my reasoning and frankly to me it seemed ok enough that I would take my chances.

Did I pay £150 over the odds? yup! You win some and you lose some. Frankly, I'm thankful that they are price ranged as that meant there was plenty left for me :)

Soldato
Goods Shipped:

I did exactly what you did, was suprised that it asked for some kinda code from my bank, i was in a rush so much i didnt read that it had sent it to my phone for a few seconds, was just typing my dob , got mine at 13:58:57 , took me 1 minute to buy a 650 pound card, wats wong wit mee

Associate
Only conclusions to really draw so far are that the drivers are a total mess (Wattman more so), and that TechPowerup consistently manage to get results 10-20% lower on all AMD cards than even the middle of the pack of other reviewers (hmm).

As usual, ComputerBaseDE were most interesting .. particularly re: undervolting and reductions in power draw, though actual tinkering with clocks seems to yield virtually no performance difference due to broken Wattman / drivers.

I'll check back in a month when drivers are in order and water blocks are out. Then things are likely to be a lot more interesting ... if there are actually any to buy, and pros aren't just hoovering every unit that becomes available as soon as they drop.

Soldato
Case in point is the matter of FP64 performance. As we noted in our look at the Vega 20 GPU, Vega 20’s FP64 performance is very fast: it’s one-half the FP32 rate, or 6.9 TFLOPS. This is one of the premium features of Vega 20, and since Radeon VII was first announced back at CES, the company has been struggling a bit to decide how much of that performance to actually make available to the Radeon VII. At the time of its announcement, we were told that the Radeon VII would have unrestricted (1/2) FP64 performance, only to later be told that it would be 1/8. Now, with the actual launch of the card upon us, AMD has made their decision: they’ve split it down the middle and are doing a 1/4 rate.

The Radeon VII graphics card was created for gamers and creators, enthusiasts and early adopters. Given the broader market Radeon VII is targeting, we were considering different levels of FP64 performance. We previously communicated that Radeon VII provides 0.88 TFLOPS (DP=1/16 SP). However based on customer interest and feedback we wanted to let you know that we have decided to increase double precision compute performance to 3.52 TFLOPS (DP=1/4SP).

If you looked at FP64 performance in your testing, you may have seen this performance increase as the VBIOS and press drivers we shared with reviewers were pre-release test drivers that had these values already set. In addition, we have updated other numbers to reflect the achievable peak frequency in calculating Radeon VII performance as noted in the [charts].

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review/3

Back
Top Bottom