Fall creators update... how do i stop this?

Associate
so about a year ago i stopped this and put a 1 year suspension on it. now its started to try and install every other time i turn my pc on. "shutdown and update" option when shutting down pc so i hit it. next time i power on pc it hangs on a black screen and nothing happens unless i hit the reset button then its fine followed by a message ingame saying update did not finish.

how on earth do i stop this. I dont want to just suspend it for a year. nothing else is wrong with my pc it runs flawlessly so please dont offer virus advice or some other checks as i am 100% sure this isnt the problem.

Soldato
Meh, use the Microsoft tool to get the newest ISO and install Windows again.

Life is too short to be faffing around with a bad install.

Exactly this. You're resisting installing an update which itself will be going end of life in just a couple of months. It's time to give up on this install and move to the latest version.

Associate
OP
im not resisting it. ive tried to let it install many times but my pc wont get to windows when it does install so i have to reset and then disable it. with there being almost zero guides telling us how to sort this problem i asked here and this made it so everytime i turn my pc on i dont have to reset it to get into windows so im pretty happy.

saying that though my windows defender now wont update which i guess is down to this. i might look into this next time ive got more than an hour or 2 on the gaming machine...

Associate
OP
Ok so went to Windows and got the update adviser. He downloaded and updated. Now with the restart it's exactly the same apart from I can't do anything now. Even resetting doesn't fix it. It just does the same thing.

Finally tje blue screen with options comes up and non of them do anything for me. Even repair doesn't do anything.

Soldato
You should do what should have been done in the first place, after seeing the failed install - backup your data, wipe the drive and do a fresh installation. Because you can't get back into Windows, the backup is made a little harder - but as long as you know where your files are, you should manage.

Permabanned
Ok so went to Windows and got the update adviser. He downloaded and updated. Now with the restart it's exactly the same apart from I can't do anything now. Even resetting doesn't fix it. It just does the same thing.

Finally tje blue screen with options comes up and non of them do anything for me. Even repair doesn't do anything.

Time to put the drive into a caddy, backup all the files and use the full ISO to make a bootable usb stick with the latest version.

Soldato
you have not said here what the architecture of your system is ... amd from your other posts ? ... so, has this been a known issue for similar systems

Soldato
You should do what should have been done in the first place, after seeing the failed install - backup your data, wipe the drive and do a fresh installation. Because you can't get back into Windows, the backup is made a little harder - but as long as you know where your files are, you should manage.

Well, no. Updates have been a recurrent problem with windows 10. Often the problem is corrupted update files and often the solution is to reset windows update and try again. There is a script for this, one click done. I've had updates fail and roll back because of this on more than one occasion on different machines as well. i would much sooner try this before resorting to reinstalling windows.

Permabanned
Well, no. Updates have been a recurrent problem with windows 10. Often the problem is corrupted update files and often the solution is to reset windows update and try again. There is a script for this, one click done. I've had updates fail and roll back because of this on more than one occasion on different machines as well. i would much sooner try this before resorting to reinstalling windows.

but that's a waste of time, you can restore a full system including drivers within an hour.

Soldato
what?:confused:

you reset windows updates because an update has failed to install. If an update has already failed, how is it any quicker reinstalling windows (after an update failed ...) than resetting windows update? reinstalling windows before trying to resolve the windows update issue is taking a sledgehammer to a nut.

Permabanned
what?:confused:

you reset windows updates because an update has failed to install. If an update has already failed, how is it any quicker reinstalling windows (after an update failed ...) than resetting windows update? reinstalling windows before trying to resolve the windows update issue is taking a sledgehammer to a nut.

This doesn't always resolve the issue especially when it comes to the fall creators update. This update failed on many of the systems I have dealt with. Each to their own though.

Back
Top Bottom