Fall creators update... how do i stop this?

Soldato
Well, no. Updates have been a recurrent problem with windows 10. Often the problem is corrupted update files and often the solution is to reset windows update and try again. There is a script for this, one click done. I've had updates fail and roll back because of this on more than one occasion on different machines as well. i would much sooner try this before resorting to reinstalling windows.
I agree with you - resetting Windows Update only takes a few minutes. But more often than not, this doesn't solve the problem - only if Windows is having problems checking and/or downloading updates, not installing them.

Associate
OP
Fallcreators edition Was a problem not uncommon when it came out. How can you not see that?

I done what people suggested at it failed again. It would normally just fail and say so when Windows booted but this time it wouldn't get to Windows. The screen after the bios options would just stay black. Nothing but a mouse cursor moving on a black background. Nothing would work at all. Eventually got the failed boot option but they all seemed to be stuck at certain points.

So this morning I took the sidesoff my case and had a look. I was going to unplug my Windows drive and see where that takes. And to my surprise one of the cables on that drive was a tiny bit loose. The PC has not moved for months and was working fine. Not a problem in the slightest so this was not something I had even considered. Plugged them in fully and I got the failed to boot options and it seems to have fixed it. Didn't check if the update had worked as I was going to work.was just relieved I didn't "have" to reinstall Windows.

Associate
OP
you have not said here what the architecture of your system is ... amd from your other posts ? ... so, has this been a known issue for similar systems
why do you get AMD from my other posts? i actually have an i5 6600k. from before AMD was particularly good with cpus lol. i am very close to moving my pc to another case, being in a custom loops its very daunting to keep putting it off and wondering if i can creep an AMD motherboard and cpu in there lol.

Don
Each big update in Windows 10 is essentially a Service Pack.

Historically, installing service packs in Windows has always been a sketchy process. All you need is one bad AV signature to block one file during the update and it can hose your system.

Since you've had issues, the quickest and easiest solution is a fresh install.

With SSD speeds, a new install isn't the faff that it used to be.

Permabanned
So this morning I took the sidesoff my case and had a look. I was going to unplug my Windows drive and see where that takes. And to my surprise one of the cables on that drive was a tiny bit loose. The PC has not moved for months and was working fine. Not a problem in the slightest so this was not something I had even considered. Plugged them in fully and I got the failed to boot options and it seems to have fixed it. Didn't check if the update had worked as I was going to work.was just relieved I didn't "have" to reinstall Windows.

Never heard this in 20 years of working with computers. The cable is either on or off. oh well, we where all wrong. :eek:

Associate
OP
Never heard this in 20 years of working with computers. The cable is either on or off. oh well, we where all wrong. :eek:
Me neither. So I wasn't really hopeful when seeing if it sorted it. Doesn't explain it not working when I decided to turn it off for a year though.

I sort a fresh install soon.

Associate
I've been having some fun with this lately. A graphics driver update downloaded in January, since then upon restart I get past boot and then it goes to the black screen with spinning circle, after 3 windows 10 resets and the same issue coming back after a short time i ended up leaving it spinning by accident and after 20 minutes it got to the login screen, this is how I have been using my pc, just try not to restart.

Now it's stuck on the spinning circle for over an hour, if I do another reset and lose my installs the issue will just come back. I already tried a clean install with latest ISO and stopped windows update but that didn't prevent the spinning circle it just came back after driver updates, something is conflicting.

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried not updating any drivers manually and disabling Windows Update, only accepting those drivers that are installed with W10, then restarting and turning off the PC many times to make sure it's all ok. What happens is after a day or two, I'll restart and the black screen with the spinning circle appears and won't let me login.

So I tried the opposite, I got all the W10 updates, latest drivers for everything, the issue came back - not straight away but like before a day or two passes -, however this time it would not trigger if I shut down, it would only trigger if I did a restart, which I ended up doing and now I've done another W10 reset. Like I said before I've done a clean install too with the latest file from the Microsoft website. Inbetween all that I'm installing games and software like Photoshop and 3ds Max and I'm wondering if when a game installs direct x and various other packages, maybe that's conflicting with something because that's all that's changing between getting the latest W10 updates and the black screen occurring.

This seems to be a big issue there's lots of posts about it, not just for this specific update but Windows Updates in the past, I guess I've been lucky until now to dodge it, but it won't go away.

i5 6600k 3.5ghz
Geforce 1070
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
Kingston 240GB SSD

Soldato
I would be installing the update blocker script and the manual mechanism for selecting patches/drivers, to at least see what driver updates are being proposed;
also periodically writing current list of all drivers to a file to see what might have changed, since the driver update seemed very clandestine;
I had even reviewed the windows update logs too, which I suspect you can access from another computer by putting the drive in a caddy (if the computer is stuck)

Associate
I think it's more than just a driver issue. It's been running smooth since I last posted, and I went to install Photoshop and it prompted me saying the PC is awaiting a restart. I thought that was strange because I disabled Windows Update in services, maybe that wasn't enough. Instead of restarting I shut down my PC and turned it back on and the prompt was still there, I bit the bullet and restarted and I got the black screen with spinning circle again which lasted 20 minutes until it logged me in. The symptoms are the same as before once I log in:

- My firewall is disabled by default.
- Windows Task Scheduler is not running.
- Windows search bar doesn't accept typing, I have to copy paste what I want to search for.
- Some programs do not work properly unless I manually launch as administrator even though I only have one user account which is the adminstrator and those programs had no issue launching before.
- Start menu is a little slow to start up once I click it.

If I restart the PC from this point on it will always go to the black screen with spinning circle. If I just avoid restarting my PC and and use as normal eventually what will happen, if I do restart the PC, it will stay on the black screen for hours and by that point I just reset Windows. This cycle hasn't left me since the beginning of February when I did some Windows Updates and got the latest Nvidia driver. Before then I had been using my PC and software for over a year without issue. Is it possible a graphic driver alone could cause all the above? I've never experienced that before.

*Edit I did some testing and uninstalled the graphics driver and installed older versions, what's happening is that W10 is updating the graphics driver automatically, even if I install the latest separately from the Nvidia website, W10 is still pulling its own version and overwriting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Each big update in Windows 10 is essentially a Service Pack.

I'm disagreeing with that. It's an in-place upgrade with a later OS. Service packs selectively updated system files. Windows 10 feature updates do a wholesale replacement with a new Windows image. The servicing tools that do the work have improved a lot under the skin from when they were introduced with Windows 7.

The monthly cumulative updates that are about a gig in size, that's essentially a service pack in old parlance.

Soldato
*Edit I did some testing and uninstalled the graphics driver and installed older versions, what's happening is that W10 is updating the graphics driver automatically, even if I install the latest separately from the Nvidia website, W10 is still pulling its own version and overwriting.

so ... 'just' need to find out how to nobble the driver downupdate, from the different techniques on the web ?

The servicing tools that do the work have improved a lot under the skin
imperceptibly ?

Back
Top Bottom