• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
I think I mentioned the price once but I think I got away with it.

Somewhere back in this thread someone mentioned you can’t use DLSS at 1080P with a 2080Ti, I’m curious as to why anyone would want to?

Bought mine exclusively for 4K/60. Why would I want to use it either?

As for RT, tried it in BFV and it looked great. Shame about the rest of the game TBH.

The why question doesnt matter, you should be able to do it.

Is it right that people/media refer to DLSS as a form of anti aliasing? in people's minds on here, is DLSS anti aliasing or upscaling? In my opinion its the latter.

Soldato
Did the reviewer saying he can't imagine playing Metro without RT? That's quite an endorsement. Didn't like DLSS much atm though.

I didnt have the sound on, but DF do have a habit of heavily endorsing most new gaming technologies. Also I suppose watching on compressed youtube may be possibly having an effect.

But ultimately the problem is that they may have nerfed the non RT lighting in the game to make RTX lighting look better, which may of course have swayed the DF decision.

I acknowledge there is a noticeable different with RT on and off in the game in the video, but the RT lighting is similar to non RT lighting in division 2, and non RT lighting in division 2 is clearly better than non RT lighting in this metro game.

Caporegime
66Gw.gif

Nvidia were first to market but they didn't develop VRR. That was VESA. I have already demonstrated to you that fact with official statements. If Nvidia hadn't released Gsync AMD would've still released Freesync because they're both implementations of VESA's Async.

Kinda like how if Christopher Columbus hadn't discovered the Americas they would've still been discovered... by the next guy.

By the logic you employ if AMD didn't develop Mantle Microsoft wouldn't have released DX12 and you wouldn't have RTX now. So you have to thank AMD for your RTX. As well as the 1000 other firsts AMD is responsible for. You're welcome btw.
You clearly don't understand the difference between eDP and DP. eDP is what is used in laptops etc and after NVidia announced that G-Sync was going to happen, AMD realised that their laptops could do it and asked VESA to make it a standard of DP 1.2a.

No need for silly gifs or smarmy comments either and I am not trying to be clever or smart, just something that interested all that time ago.

Associate
Well done to Digital Foundry. The video was the best that I have seen so far in showing the difference ray traced global illumination can add to a game.

I do prefer the look of it with RTX on.

Last edited:
Associate
Unironically an almost perfect image to reflect the worth and content of many of your posts.
It was not until Nvidia did the leg work with Gsync and had products almost ready to market that AMD realised that part of the embedded display port spec could be retrofitted to the mainline DP spec.

Soldato
Unironically an almost perfect image to reflect the worth and content of many of your posts.
It was not until Nvidia did the leg work with Gsync and had products almost ready to market that AMD realised that part of the embedded display port spec could be retrofitted to the mainline DP spec.

It's funny to me how I can show you who actually did the work (and how far back) but you still harp on about Nvidia. Not only that but also mind-reading what AMD was thinking at the time.

I will reiterate the facts. Nvidia is not responsible for adaptive sync's development. It has existed since 2008 as part of eDP, work done by VESA. Async has also been an optional part of DP1.2a, which predates Gsync Monitors (but not the Gsync module). Furthermore, VRR has been a thing since the CRT days of yore. The only innovation in relation to Async that Nvidia has managed is how to upsell, something which I have to say they are masters at.

So what leg work did Nvidia do exactly to enable Adaptive Sync, considering one required a proprietary hardware module, while the other was a free standard? And furthemore, at what point are you going to be thanking AMD that you don't have to pay $200+ on your monitor to enjoy the benefits of this technologies?

latest

Soldato
Performance is good and a Vega VII is roughly on par with a 2070/1080Ti resolution dependent!

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Metro_Exodus/6.html
That’s not a great showing for vega 2, barely hanging with a stock 2070 let alone an overclocked one. But and a Big ‘but’ the PC performance review figures are so very different. Tech Power Up did say they didn’t trust the in game benchmark and maybe pc review used that?

Either way it shows there are lies, damned lies and gaming benchmarks!

Soldato
2080 Ti stands out at higher res, especially 4K, as we'd expect of course but 30% higher performance for 45% higher cost isn't too bad vs the 15% higher performance and 45% higher cost *(than the 2080) at 1080 P.
GOod to see the 2080 consistently ahead of the old Ti too, by 7 to 10%

Last edited:
Soldato
If the radeon 7 was £100-150 cheaper then it would be a reasonable price given modern pricing for gpu's and it may well have hit that price if it wasnt so under supplied and no retail gouging.

Soldato
If the radeon 7 was £100-150 cheaper then it would be a reasonable price given modern pricing for gpu's and it may well have hit that price if it wasnt so under supplied and no retail gouging.
Agree. The Sapphire card (OOS currently) at £649 isn't too badly priced vs 20 series considering the overall package, especially if users can put the GPU to non-gaming use too. Would be sweeter at £575 to £600

Last edited:
Associate
*shrugs*

2 years AFTER the 1080ti was released and it costs the same as that did 2 years ago.

What is the point in it?

And it’s on a smaller die. Seems leather jacket mans assessment of it may have been correct after all. Hopefully better things coming from AMD as they find their feet again and get back into their stride.

Wulf

Back
Top Bottom