Estate or SUV?

Associate
Looking at changing my car in the next few months. After something that i easily throw items in the back, plenty of space for the family etc. I just can't decide on either going for an estate, i miss my old one and useful it was. But something tells me a SUV would be better suited for family reasons. What are everyones opinions?

Soldato
I had the exact debate with my misses. Just had a kid and my Leon Cupra hatchback wasnt big enough, we tried and failed. So after many test drives the choices were, Skoda Octavia VRS Estate, Skoda Karoq or the Seat Ateca. I drove the VRs and it was really a nice drive with tonnes of room but my wife didnt like it and complained it was bland inside, plus the wait time was huge. We tried the Karoq and liked it but couldnt get the figures to work. So we bought a Seat Ateca which happily carry's us all including the dog.

Im glad though we went for an SUV as to gain access to our apartment its very tight so makes it easier going out everyday. The Ateca has 510lt of boot space where as the Octavia has 610lt so either would have coped with the family luggage.

Soldato
I went for a Mondeo when we had a similar decision to make, big hatchback, fit absolutely tons of stuff in the back, but still got that saloon look. Absolutely refuse to have an SUV or similar.

Soldato
We had a Passat estate for a few years, and changed it for a Tiguan a couple of years ago. 2 kids, currently 9 and 5.

The Passat had a much bigger load capacity, which I miss when we go camping, but the Tiguan is better for everyday use, being a smaller footprint. Cabin space seemed similar in each.

There's more headroom in the Tig, which would have been helpful with a baby seat, but I don't see much advantage to the high roofline otherwise. The Passat used to bottom out when we went down the lane to my in-laws' farm, so that's one of the reasons we went SUV.

Soldato
Estates, usually, have bigger boots in terms of floor space. Less height obviously. So for fitting in prams, bikes and dogs they're more useful imo.

SUV "if you like to feel high up"... Depends what you're thinking of too when you say SUV. If you're talking of Range Rovers, Q7's and X5's then go for it. But Qashqui's and Kai's... No.

There's more headroom in the Tig, which would have been helpful with a baby seat, but I don't see much advantage to the high roofline otherwise. The Passat used to bottom out when we went down the lane to my in-laws' farm, so that's one of the reasons we went SUV.

More headroom for a Baby Seat? How tall is your baby?! :p

Soldato
Estates do have more room compared to the "fashion" SUVs like the Juke etc. Which are more like hatchbacks on stilts and mostly awful.

Associate
OP
Estates, usually, have bigger boots in terms of floor space. Less height obviously. So for fitting in prams, bikes and dogs they're more useful imo.

SUV "if you like to feel high up"... Depends what you're thinking of too when you say SUV. If you're talking of Range Rovers, Q7's and X5's then go for it. But Qashqui's and Kai's... No.

More headroom for a Baby Seat? How tall is your baby?! :p

At the moment i considering a VW Touareg when it comes to the SUV. Estate wise E class or an Audi A6 Avant. We have kids of 7 and 3. My mother inlaw has a wheel chair and would be used a lot when helping her out.

Associate
OP
Estates do have more room compared to the "fashion" SUVs like the Juke etc. Which are more like hatchbacks on stilts and mostly awful.

They are not SUV's and not a big fan at all. My dad had a Juke, awful car boot was sodding useless. My brother has a ford Kuga not a fan of that either.

Man of Honour
Always estates for me, I don't even have a family yet - just too many hobbies!

They handle better, look good imo and easier to park than saloons due to nearly flush rear window.

Caporegime
Estate.

Loving the practicality of my lowly Focus, I’m replacing all the carpets in my house this coming weekend, last weekend I removed all the old ones, cut them up and took the lot to the tip in one trip (I’d assumed it would take at least two)

Unless you live up a mountain an SUV / 4x4 seems pointless to me.

Soldato
I had a Passat estate then moved to a Kia Sorento and for me its leaps ahead of the Passat in comfort, load space etc, just not as great on the fuel, but were I to change would give serious consideration to a Mondeo Estate or maybe E Class

Soldato
Mondeo Estate. Not only is it massive - I had the hatch and you could throw almost anything in the boot, but it's also a comfortable and relaxed drive compared to most European-targeted motors I've had. Interior space is great as it's designed for the US. Favorite car I've had for just cruising around and doing jobs, highly recommend it. If you like sharp handling and B-road blasts, look elsewhere. I have another car for that.

I had an SUV as well, it was only better for load space height. Worse on fuel. Worse on comfort, NVH etc. A little more expensive to maintain and service etc.

Buy an estate before they stop selling them!

Soldato
But something tells me a SUV would be better suited for family reasons.

Family reasons mean different things to different people.

What do you prefer, and what can you live without?
  • Ride height for improved visibility of road
  • Ease of access
Or;
  • Improved handling (generally)
  • Increased practicality
The rest would come down to preference really.

Back
Top Bottom