• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So what's the verdict so far on the Ryzen Processors?

Soldato
Some data.

cinebench XFR on 95 watt core power usage 180 watt at the wall.
cinebench XFR off 45 watt core power usage 110 watts on the wall.

cinebench XFR off 1.25v 4.0ghz manual o/c core power usage 75 watts, 160 watts on the wall. Score was only very slightly lower about 1360 vs 1380.

However the manual o/c result is misleading and an example why cinebench is not representative of real world usage. In the same manual o/c config I did single core benchmarks and the performance was about 10% down on XFR. Also even in multi threaded games the performance gap would be bigger as well because XFR even if all cores are in use if the load is moderate only it will clock higher than the cinebench clocks. Moderate all core load is probably realistic for most modern AAA games. Something cinebench doesnt represent.

So I concluded if you want power saving the only proper power saving is with XFR off with no manual o/c. -0.1v or so voltage offset. If you not happy with the performance loss then just enable XFR as its that good. It does overvolt a bit, but you not going to get a better balance manually o/c in my view.

The only time I feel manual o/c makes sense is if your workload is focused on heavy all core load, such as cpu based rendering. In that scenario a manual o/c is more efficient for temps and power, but just about every other use pattern XFR is better. Or XFR off with no manual o/c if you want the nice power efficiency. XFR off will lose about 12% performance for all core heavy load and about 25% for single core load, something in between for in between loads.

I know most people have already realised this ;) but thought I would post it anyway.

If you want to emulate gaming load, running something like karhu ramtester is good at it, it will load up all cores but only at a low load, and you should see higher clocks on all cores vs a cinebench run.

The only manual config that will improve on XFR in my view is p-state overclocking.

Last edited:
Associate
Some data.

cinebench XFR on 95 watt core power usage 180 watt at the wall.
cinebench XFR off 45 watt core power usage 110 watts on the wall.

cinebench XFR off 1.25v 4.0ghz manual o/c core power usage 75 watts, 160 watts on the wall. Score was only very slightly lower about 1360 vs 1380.

I got 1360 with a R5 1600 @ 3.9GHz but my RAM was set at 3200 Cl14.

Caporegime
Ryzen 1600: 1326 @ 3.9Ghz RAM 3066Mhz CL16. Single core 160.
Stock (3.4Ghz XFR) 1147.
----------------

@chrcoluk Get that 2600X clocked up at 4.2Ghz it should be scoring about 1450.

However the manual o/c result is misleading and an example why cinebench is not representative of real world usage. In the same manual o/c config I did single core benchmarks and the performance was about 10% down on XFR

Single core boost on the 2600X is 4.25Ghz, its a 6.25% difference from your 4Ghz OC, who knows whats happened to the other 3.75% but i don't know what-else AMD's boost technology is doing to the CPU's internals, or it could just be margin of error, also, some motherboards have been know to boost single core to 4.35Ghz on the 2600X.

Soldato
I can do an all core 4.2ghz, but I dont want to for 24/7 use, I was just experimenting to try and beat XFR at efficiency, the chip will be inefficient if I configure it for cinebench scoring when cinebench itself has no reflection to the workload been put on the chip.

Soldato
Why would you even be considering a gen 1 ryzen at this point? Go with gen 2, or wait for gen 3 (Assumption here is that Ryzen 3xxx series will not go back to having memory freq issues again).

Almost all the perf single threading issues were resolved with gen 2, and memory support got significantly better.

I have a Ryzen 5 1600, and it has been fantastic. I have no need to get anything else right now. I edit video's, play games.. I'm very happy. Beyond the poor bios/microcode that AMD has since resolved with gen 1 (and a bizarre outlier with microsoft refusing to fix an issue in their code), Ryzen is great. If I was buying now, I would be getting the 2600x or 2700X. In a few months, whatever the heck I can get that is at least 8 cores from Ryzen 3xxx.

Soldato
I do find the chip (2700x) overclocks itself so well even at base that setting pcb or trying a manual overclock simply results in more heat/noise for very little performance gains.

Associate
I have a 2700x like Brazo. It clocks very well. It scores like 12 thread 1060/2060 cinebench R15 but only running x8 threads. I turn off SMT and run Cpu static at it's max boost clocks.

Another thing is that if you keep Ryzen 2xxx series chips UNDER 50c, the XFR will keep clocking them up. Once the chips hits 60c the XFR will throttle down, at least that's the experience I'm having on my Asus board.

After%20performance._zpsg9fbrgww.png

Permabanned
Intel makes faster processors period. Always have.... well for quite a long time now..... So not sure about the last question there.

"2nd Gen Ryzen Mobile Processors: Featuring world’s fastest processor for ultrathin laptops. AMD Ryzen 7 3700U can edit media up to 29% faster than the Intel Core i7-8550U, and the AMD Ryzen 5 3500U can load websites up to 14% faster than the Intel Core i5-8250U." https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...plete-mobile-portfolio-new-ryzen-athlon-and-a

Associate
AMD did win for a bit there with these Ryzen chips. I believe they have Intel Pinned while AMD is releasing 7nm process node rather soon and gather the efficiency is going to be superior over anything Intel has to offer until they die shrink.

Soldato
I have a 2700x like Brazo. It clocks very well. It scores like 12 thread 1060/2060 cinebench R15 but only running x8 threads. I turn off SMT and run Cpu static at it's max boost clocks.

Another thing is that if you keep Ryzen 2xxx series chips UNDER 50c, the XFR will keep clocking them up. Once the chips hits 60c the XFR will throttle down, at least that's the experience I'm having on my Asus board.

Hmmm... 60's the limit you say? Going to have chance at running my loop without a card for a while (it seems) so... I might just get down that low.
Mine tops out at 4.35ghz which... I was pretty sure was where the 2700x stopped on XFR.
Have you got the 104 fsb "cheat" enabled to trick XFR into running it faster?
Have you touched the XFR scalar or just left it on and boosting as it sees fit?

Man of Honour
It is interesting - when AMD wins, there is intense discussion who actually, when intel wins - everyone jumps to buy intel... Double standards?!

When AMD wins at what? when Intel has won in the past it has either been on the balance of tests or comprehensive across the board. Right now there isn't a CPU from either camp that does that unless you narrow the scope to specific uses cases. Even in multicore workloads it swings between them depending on what you are testing.

Permabanned
When AMD wins at what? when Intel has won in the past it has either been on the balance of tests or comprehensive across the board. Right now there isn't a CPU from either camp that does that unless you narrow the scope to specific uses cases. Even in multicore workloads it swings between them depending on what you are testing.

AMD always wins or performs rather well, but the blue empire of not-serious people will always make it look like it is the end of the world. For your information, Ryzen right now wins on the balance of benchmarks.

And FX-8350 was a pretty decent CPU and still is:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8350-processor-review,13.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8350-processor-review,15.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8350-processor-review,16.html

Man of Honour
AMD always wins or performs rather well, but the blue empire of not-serious people will always make it look like it is the end of the world. For your information, Ryzen right now wins on the balance of benchmarks.

No it doesn't go read the actual article I linked earlier.

Sure they have good "or performs rather well" performance but that isn't the claim I was responding to.

EDIT: I refer you to the quotes again:

anandtech.com said:
With the exception of database software and vectorizable HPC code, AMD's EPYC 7601 ($4200) offers slightly less or slightly better performance than Intel's Xeon 8176 ($8000+). However the real competitor is probably the Xeon 8160, which has 4 (-14%) fewer cores and slightly lower turbo clocks (-100 or -200 MHz). We expect that this CPU will likely offer 15% lower performance, and yet it still costs about $500 more ($4700) than the best EPYC. Of course, everything will depend on the final server system price, but it looks like AMD's new EPYC will put some serious performance-per-dollar pressure on the Intel line.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/18

anandtech.com said:
There’s no way around it, in almost every scenario it was either top or within variance of being the best processor in every test (except Ashes at 4K). Intel has built the world’s best gaming processor (again).

On our CPU tests, the i9-9900K hit a lot of the synthetics higher than any other mainstream processor. In some of our real world tests, such as application loading or web performance, it lost out from time to time to the i7 and i5 due to having hyper-threading, as those tests tend to prefer threads that have access to the full core resources. For memory limited tests, the high-end desktop platforms provide a better alternative.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/23

Bit in bold.

For server use it is currently swings and roundabouts which wins depending on what tasks you are doing, for desktop productivity it is again swings and roundabouts unless you throw Threadripper into the equation but then if you move upto workstation CPUs it is again a case of trading blows. For gaming use Intel currently still eeks out a lead.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is interesting - when AMD wins, there is intense discussion who actually, when intel wins - everyone jumps to buy intel... Double standards?!

No it doesn't go read the actual article I linked earlier.

"Don't look at that, just look at what i want you to look at"

Roff just made your point for you.

Man of Honour

What you are doing with the 8350 is idiotic anyone can hand pick benchmark results from the complete set to spin a narrative:

iWCIChh.png

But that isn't what the whole review portrays or the conclusion that comes from taking in the overall benchmark results.

Which has little to no relevancy on who has the fastest CPU today.

Permabanned
"Don't look at that, just look at what i want you to look at"

Roff just made your point for you.

:rolleyes:

He asked in what - there is the answer:

"2nd Gen Ryzen Mobile Processors: Featuring world’s fastest processor for ultrathin laptops. AMD Ryzen 7 3700U can edit media up to 29% faster than the Intel Core i7-8550U, and the AMD Ryzen 5 3500U can load websites up to 14% faster than the Intel Core i5-8250U." https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...plete-mobile-portfolio-new-ryzen-athlon-and-a

Associate
Have a Ryzen 5 1600 and it has done very well with gaming/making videos/streaming. Haven't had any noticable hiccups or issues so far, but am looking forward to the new cpu's if the specs/pricing are to be believed.

Main reason to get this was down to price/performance and a promotion which made the total purchase much cheaper after selling the extras.

If only nvidia has competition on their end, cause what ryzen brings vs Intel it will only result in better products and better prices.

Man of Honour
:rolleyes:

He asked in what - there is the answer:

Earlier you were alluding to Epyc, etc. sure if we are talking about ultrathin laptops AMD has a win there but that isn't what you were talking about earlier.

Main reason to get this was down to price/performance and a promotion which made the total purchase much cheaper after selling the extras.

Something AMD does well currently - I've built a number of 2600 based systems for people because Intel simply has nothing close to the price/performance in that area.

Back
Top Bottom