A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Really starting to enjoy driving the car, keep finding myself taking trips out, the Pzero's have come back a little but they are almost like driving on a low grip tyre in the wet and in the dry feel almost a little plastic, but they have improved a little.
I've spoken with a couple of owners of 458's who have basically said the Pzero's grip falls off massively once they are a year old irrelevant of tread depth left, they just fall of the cliff as to speak, my tyres are dated 2017 so are over a year old. I've spoken with Ferrari and they are happy for me to order a set of PS4S and have them delivered directly to them and they shall fit them in April/May when the car is in for its service, manage to find a full set from Camskill for £790, so mega cheap for what is best tyre on market. Owners say the PS4S is like a transformation over the Pzero and even a big step up from MPSS, especially in cold wet conditions.

Still even with low grip, the car is great fun, front-end has no grip, once you use brakes a little the front-end starts to bite but the car rewards a smooth driving style, very much how the 911 was, but there is great feedback from steering and though I am keeping it safe by keeping the car in its wet mode, if you get on power on exit you can feel rear axle grip well and if you over power it a little (all I have tried so far) you can feel the E-Diff, F1 Trac and slip control doing their thing seems to really maximises every last bit of mechanical grip out there and you can feel it working underneath and with you.

It is a lot of fun! Even had one guy who was so taken by the car walking the street, he proceeded to nearly trip over himself.

Really enjoying learning the car, I've had it in race mode but upshifts are so brutal in a straight line it spins the tyres up if your being lead footed, the car rewards you hugely for modulating the throttle and not just stomping the go pedal.

P.S. Paid the tracker subscription today, £304 for a year, seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Soldato
How well did they paint the front bumper? I image that paint would be very hard to match, even if ferrari did it themselves.

My old orange lotus had the bonnet done, and it was a nightmare in the sun.

PPF it! and don't drive into any fences :p

OcUK Staff
OP
How well did they paint the front bumper? I image that paint would be very hard to match, even if ferrari did it themselves.

My old orange lotus had the bonnet done, and it was a nightmare in the sun.

PPF it! and don't drive into any fences :p

Its spot on in the sun, in the shade I can't see anything, cameras pick something up but every other yellow Ferrari on camera shows the same so more down to how paint reflects light.
Jaguar painted front bumper on SVR, cnould not tell either.

Difference between a body shop that paints the cars often and knows the colours, guarantees a good match, also why they charge what they do. Take it to a random bodyshop for a £500 job and would probably stand out a mile.

Its spot on! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Taken the cars for a few drives today!

Simply wow, it reminds me most of the 911, same kind of communication and feedback but with a totally incredible sound track and vastly much more of an event to drive, plus once rolling it not only accelerates seriously quick but it feels silly fast too, removing the need to do crazy speeds on the road.

It certainly feels like it has huge ability even on tyres with no grip, loving it! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Awesome car mate. I remember when you sad the prelude :)

Thanks mate!
Indeed only feels like yesterday that I got the Prelude, was fitting Lexus style real lights and alloy wheels. :D

Though not much changes I've already purchased some mods for the Ferrari, though they are basic, nothing major:
- Valve controller as I like the stock exhaust, but at same time if I use wet the exhaust is quiet so ordered a valve controller that allows me to either set ECU control or bypass that and have valves always open or always closed.
- Titanium wheel nuts, every kilo counts, won't notice it but hey why not, thankfully I did not pay the £2000 Ferrari insist, got a set for $299 from USA.
- Shall fit a set of PS4S, well Ferrari will when I take it for service April/May along with a set of repairing brake pads.

Soldato
Thanks mate!
Indeed only feels like yesterday that I got the Prelude, was fitting Lexus style real lights and alloy wheels. :D

Though not much changes I've already purchased some mods for the Ferrari, though they are basic, nothing major:
- Valve controller as I like the stock exhaust, but at same time if I use wet the exhaust is quiet so ordered a valve controller that allows me to either set ECU control or bypass that and have valves always open or always closed.
- Titanium wheel nuts, every kilo counts, won't notice it but hey why not, thankfully I did not pay the £2000 Ferrari insist, got a set for $299 from USA.
- Shall fit a set of PS4S, well Ferrari will when I take it for service April/May along with a set of repairing brake pads.
You might find if you enjoy having the valves open (who wouldn't) that they seize if they're not exercised (unless your controller shuts them when the engines turned off).

OcUK Staff
OP
You might find if you enjoy having the valves open (who wouldn't) that they seize if they're not exercised (unless your controller shuts them when the engines turned off).

It always defaults to ECU control, so valves will get plenty of exercise, have to use the fob to open or close with car running.

OcUK Staff
OP
@Gibbo, where are videos? :mad: :p

Here ya go:

Excuse the fact is was filmed in portrait.
That is to around roughly 7500-8000rpm, once it is dry or its got better tyres on I shall see if I can get a flyby done, but at present it is pointless as it just tries to kill me as spins up.

Can't wait to have sticky rubber onboard, warmer weather and try the launch control! :D

Back
Top Bottom