decent mpg AND fast and fun?

Soldato
Hi,

Currently, I own a 2006 mk5 golf gti, few little mods but it's a nice car to drive, fun but average mpg on my 20-mile commute is anything from 20-28mpg. It's costing £50-60 a week for the commute.

I have a higher paying job opportunity that's come up but the commute is 35-40 miles each way, which will double my fuel costs.

2 options, keep the gti which I do love and look at getting my bike licence and a nice KTM Duke 390 motorbike to help with the commute costs. Trade in the gti or our Audi A4 if I can get the wife to take the gti for school runs and look at getting something fast and fun but also gives decent mpg.

The budget will be up to £8k, not so fussed on age but I'd like something comfortable and looks smart but something that'll take a family in too.

330D/335D, Jag xf, Audi equivalent?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Can’t help but feel the potential bills on a 335 or XF will outweigh the increase in fuel costs on your GTI.

How much is a Lexus GS350h or similar?

Soldato
Is the type of commute changing?

When I was using a (unmodified) 2.0 TFSI, the 19 mile trip to work (A roads) would easily see over 30mpg, the 40+ mile trips to sites a bit higher. I'd have had to drive like an absolute ******* to get 20mpg from it, or be sat in gridlocked traffic for ages. My best full tank average was 40mpg.

Point being, if the route is changing and you may end up with a better, traffic free drive, you might see a substantial improvement from your current car anyway. Have you tried a trial run of the new commute?

Caporegime
I’d imagine what Kenai is saying plus adjusting your driving style will save you more money than switching to a money pit.

The 2.0TFSI can be quite frugal if driven carefully, hell I managed better than mid 20s in my 2.0TFSI A6 Avant on a short commute!

Soldato
Your only really going to get good running costs AND performance if you go smaller and lighter. Something like a Fiesta ST.

Associate
Your only really going to get good running costs AND performance if you go smaller and lighter. Something like a Fiesta ST.

Fiesta st would be my choice.

Chap I worked with had his ST chipped and a few mods. It was very quick on boost but could get 35+ mpg if he took it easy.

Personally I'm not disciplined enough to drive efficiently and if your stuck in slow traffic mpg is going to be bad whatever you drive.

Soldato
210 miles trip last night. 2017 golf GTD dsg.

Adaptive cruise control set at 70mph all the way. 61 mpg displayed on screen. Average speed was 54mph.

Did brim to brim calculation few times and always spot on.

Not the fastest car I've owned but performance/mpg ratio is best on the my current car. Golf gtd dsg. Very pleased with it

Soldato
I'd keep it and also keep £8k in the pocket. With the longer distance hopefully you'll hit 30mpg?

If you want 50+ you'll need an old derv I guess, especially if you want reliability. Octavia?

Soldato
On a long distance drive I think the GTI wouldn’t be in all that bad. Diesels do require maintanence especially at the budget, depending on what you buy. Sometimes the savings in fuel cost could be then spent on repairs which defeats the purpose.

Associate
That budget allows for a decent e90 or e92 335D.
Bear in mind that although they offer a ridiculous balance of performance and economy, they are in need of a bit of preventive maintenance at this age and mileage.

If you are good with DIY, go for it. If not, I'd be looking at something else or adjust the budget for a bit of labour cost.

Just bought mine in December at a smidge over 8k, the following were done :

- gearbox service, sealed for life is a ridiculous myth.
- thermostats, glow plugs and manifold seals. Get genuine thermostat and seals, Beru plugs ( had same part numbers stamped on them as the bmw factory fitted ones) expect about £200ish in parts
- top small turbo oil feed pipe - £40 from BMW
- inspect red boost hose, £20 seals from BMW
- droplinks and the odd bushes.

Once you do the above, they are actually quite reliable and will behave very well remapped. I'm averaging 40mpg with a combination of motorway and a bit of London traffic. Not bad for a 500+ lbft tractor.

Soldato
20mpg from a gti? I don't believe that unless you're foot to the floor everywhere, or it's broke :p

my 09 2.4i Accord gets me 30+mpg from just driving normally, My 40mile total commute (To work and back) costs me £40 a week, and that's from a 200bhp 2.4i car that weighs over 1.5tons and K series engines have never been renown for their fuel economy.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
and K series engines have never been renown for their fuel economy.
I used to do alright in my DC5! Average over the time I had the car was low thirties I think - mainly saved by several long drives from Scotland to Norfolk and back!

Lowest mpg I had in one tank was about 17 though... Oops :D

As for OP, you may have to sacrifice one for the other - old VAG engines will be cheap, reasonably reliable and efficient but lack power. As others have said, perhaps the the right foot is more the culprit?

Back
Top Bottom