• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ray Tracing on an AMD Graphics Card beats nvidia

Man of Honour
While the demo looks fantastic there is still quite a bit of tricking it up versus full RT that would become more apparent in uncontrolled scenarios like a proper game and though the performance is ****** impressive for the visual level still pales behind having dedicated hardware units.

Soldato
While the demo looks fantastic there is still quite a bit of tricking it up versus full RT that would become more apparent in uncontrolled scenarios like a proper game and though the performance is ****** impressive for the visual level still pales behind having dedicated hardware units.

nvidia doesn't do full rt either in any game released thus far

Man of Honour
nvidia doesn't do full rt either in any game released thus far

RTX is still a hybrid solution but capable of a more complex level of actual tracing versus the hacked up software variants that have to use a lot of tricks to work around the really slow bits (i.e. animated objects are still being special cased, etc.).

Soldato
RTX is still a hybrid solution but capable of a more complex level of actual tracing versus the hacked up software variants that have to use a lot of tricks to work around the really slow bits (i.e. animated objects are still being special cased, etc.).

Sure, but that's still not full rt & ultimately it's the end product that matters - right now this demo convinces just as much, but it's a demo so I'm going to draw the same no conclusion about it as I have about nvidia's demos as well. Also because I just don't see Crytek's engine have too much adoption, so if it's just going to end up in 1-2 games over a 3-4 year period - meh.

Man of Honour
Sure, but that's still not full rt & ultimately it's the end product that matters - right now this demo convinces just as much, but it's a demo so I'm going to draw the same no conclusion about it as I have about nvidia's demos as well. Also because I just don't see Crytek's engine have too much adoption, so if it's just going to end up in 1-2 games over a 3-4 year period - meh.

Personally I find the whole thing a bit meh - reflections are nice and all but there is a whole lot more to ray tracing than that and lots of possible light effects that I'd rather have ahead of better reflections - games like The Division already do reflections well enough for now.

Soldato
Personally I find the whole thing a bit meh - reflections are nice and all but there is a whole lot more to ray tracing than that and lots of possible light effects that I'd rather have ahead of better reflections - games like The Division already do reflections well enough for now.

Ray traced audio ;)

Permabanned
Would be funny though if Intel just come along and launch a card that lay a smack-down on both Nvidia and AMD on RT and gaming performance :p

One can dream right? :D

It depends on intel's prices, drivers quality, image quality, quality of the boards, etc... Given their past record, I doubt they will do it.

When they release something faster than 2080 Ti, they will ask money accordingly.

Mobster
Soldato
So would love this to be true and to be true in real world gaming. We need AMD to come back to the table with a card thats not laughably 5 years old, and does RT as good or even better than nVidia.

It would mean I can get the newer nVidia cards at less the cost due to competition.

Soldato
It depends on intel's prices, drivers quality, image quality, quality of the boards, etc... Given their past record, I doubt they will do it.

When they release something faster than 2080 Ti, they will ask money accordingly.
Yes they can't darn well try asking for it, but them being a newcomer and contender in the GPU scene, I think reviewers will be very critical of Intel's line-up, and analysis those things you mentioned above (unless Intel try to pull a Disney). If their cards are not shifting, Intel would be forced to slash pricing accordingly.

My prediction is that Intel would probably be more sensible/modest with their pricing for the first one or two gens of cards, to establish their footing and increase their market-share on the GPU market first. Once they have built up and healthier user-base, they would then proceed to gradually increase their pricing.

Soldato
Fixed that for you :p
Sad but true.

PC games (and even console games) is now becoming "meh" because of lack of innovation.

Back in the 2000, both EA and Activision had tonnes of IPs/games that may not had been masterpiece, but still generally fun to play. Now both publishers are skin to the bone in terms of IP that they have remaining (or at least make use of), and they are essentially feeding solely on micro-transaction.

They don't care or passionate about making good games anymore, but only care about how to innovate and implement practises that allow them to squeeze more out of the consumers.

Every single entertainment industry has been going downhill since- movie, music, game, comic etc. So depressing...

Soldato
Yeah I just don't want to play 99% of the games that come out any more :(
That's what happen when games developers are turning what should be fun to play and actual sense of accomplishments into a mean to force boring grinding chores upon the players to do in attempting to make money on micro-transactions.

Any games that are built centralised around micro-transaction are doom to fail and has no chance of being a good game, as it is focused on by taking away the enjoyment and convenience from the players and forcing them to spend. The reason why Warframe has such a success is that it is a game focused first and foremost, and the micro-transaction is optional in the true sense of the word that it is essentially just an extra layer on top, rather being the centre or core-focus of the game.

Back
Top Bottom