Motorcyclists with 'fake' Police vest [POLITE]

Soldato
Cycled pass a cyclist with one of these on with "Video Recording" underneath it with a front and rear facing helmet camera. First thing I thought when I saw it was ****.

I see loads of people with helmet mounted cameras, they shouldn't do it as it's dangerous. The rumor is that is what did Schumacher in, he had a helmet on but landed on the camera mount. OFC that mount then becomes a pressure point which focuses the enemy of the impact on to a single point, defeating the point of a helmet.

Caporegime
I see loads of people with helmet mounted cameras, they shouldn't do it as it's dangerous. The rumor is that is what did Schumacher in, he had a helmet on but landed on the camera mount. OFC that mount then becomes a pressure point which focuses the enemy of the impact on to a single point, defeating the point of a helmet.

The decent ones are designed to snap off easily in an impact.

Man of Honour
So, not much different to the ones that say 'POLICE' on them then?
Badass alert...

There’s a guy I rode with recently who’s an ex-police biker. He has his bike fitted with clear lensed amber strobes, which when unlit could be mistaken for blues. He also wears a belt with a big radio attached to it and has a big aerial on the bike which is there for aesthetics (to make it look like a police bike) rather than serve any function. He has the black and white battenberg stickers on his lid and vest.

Even he is less of a bell end than the polite vest wearers.

It’s a fine line though. Lots of bikers wear fluorescent vests and white helmets because that is supposedly the best combo for being seen.

Being mistaken for a cop is not a good thing though. It makes some drivers behave ridiculously. We have that problem with blood bikes, which from a distance could be mistaken for a cop, but up close are clearly different. There are the inattentive drivers who eventually clock you in their rear view mirror, panic, and slam on the brakes even though they aren’t speeding. Then there are the chavs, who panic until you overtake and they realise it isn’t a cop, so they make it their mission to drive dangerously to keep up, overtake, tailgate or whatever to prove some sort of point. Usually a Vauxhall with black wheels.

I prefer driving my own bike instead of the marked bike because the marked bike attracts all of the wrong attention.

Last edited:
Soldato
A good amount of force, I wonder where you'd find that. Maybe a helmet hitting the ground? Dunno.

For it to be safe it would need to crumble away in your hand. Any impact is going to focus the force in to the point where the mount is if you land on it, before it breaks...

Caporegime
For it to be safe it would need to crumble away in your hand. Any impact is going to focus the force in to the point where the mount is, before it breaks...

Not a clue what you're talking about as usual. Do you just randomly come up with thoughts in your head and then blurt them out as fact for all to see?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...s-helmet-cameras-are-safer-than-first-thought

http://44teeth.com/shock-news-helmet-cameras-dangerous/

https://motorbikewriter.com/bbc-says-helmet-cameras-safe/

* Personal comment removed **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Not a clue what you're talking about as usual. Do you just randomly come up with thoughts in your head and then blurt them out as fact for all to see?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...s-helmet-cameras-are-safer-than-first-thought

http://44teeth.com/shock-news-helmet-cameras-dangerous/

https://motorbikewriter.com/bbc-says-helmet-cameras-safe/

Blahblah, Do you understand physics? Helmets are the shape they are for a reason. Anything sticking out is bad. They are designed to spread the force evenly across the skull.

It even says one of the articles: “Anything on your lid is dangerous in a crash, as it can stop your head rolling as the rest of your body continues,” said Rich Beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Massively off topic but the Arai design philosophy is to design a helmet that glances off objects with minimal rotation. Hanging a big camera and bracket from the helmet would seem to fly in the face of Arai’s USP.

Caporegime
Blahblah, Do you understand physics?

It even says one of the articles: “Anything on your lid is dangerous in a crash, as it can stop your head rolling as the rest of your body continues,” said Rich Beach.

Clutching at straws there buddy. Let's all ignore the science and stop using these mounts because Rich Beach says so :D

Hahaha.

Soldato
Clutching at straws there buddy. Let's all ignore the science and stop using these mounts because Rich Beach says so :D

Hahaha.

So now your discrediting the articles you just posted?

Think about it. What do you think would do the most damage: me punching you in the face with my fist, or me stabbing you in the face with a screwdriver using the same force?

Not to mention preventing your head from rolling with your body = broken neck.

Caporegime
So now your discrediting the articles you just posted?

Think about it. What do you think would do the most damage: me punching you in the face with my fist, or me stabbing you in the face with a screwdriver using the same force?

Not to mention preventing your head from rolling with your body = broken neck.

Fun fact:

Any time someone starts a post with "so you're", they're trying to twist the words of what someone else has said. You snuck a little "now" in there and can't spell "you're" but the point stands.

Here's a question for you, and I genuinely want an answer here because I'm not sure I understand your logic:

If I post three articles all claiming the same facts, based on the same report, all of which support my arguments, get invalidated by one person's opinion in one of those three articles?

That seems to be what you're insinuating. You've cherry picked some guy's opinion and tried to use it as a grounds to discredit what I've posted. It's literally a single line of text across three articles, all of which support my argument.

Answer that question before we continue, it'll be the deciding factor in whether I'm wasting my time or not.

Back
Top Bottom