Opinion on the Range Rover Evoque (but the base 2WD model)?

Caporegime
Well, my sisters two Discovery’s were dire her first a 2015 example purchased from new had issues with the panoramic roof which kept cracking, added to that it regularly failed to start on the school run.

After lots of wrangling with JLR it was rejected and replaced with a new 2016 plate example which promptly broke down on the drive back from the dealer after handover!

Arguably unfortunate luck for my sister maybe, the X5 M50d that replaced it was faultless though.....

Soldato
edit: mild reboot

seems to be a new one based on todays (naff) virtue signalling barbers tv advert - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-range-rover-evoque
maybe, seeing one in the flesh, the difference, from its predecessor will be obvious.

the new rear suspension and hybrid capability look like the major upgrades,
is the new platform leaving room batteries, so raising the centre of gravity ?
... the multi-media screen looks big too

Soldato
New one is more like a Velar, rear lamps most obvious, no plastic wheel arch cladding so it’s a lot smoother. Not sure if I prefer it to the chunkier looking old one.

PTA platform also has revised front suspension and engine mounts. Batteries below the floor, pretty much all are 48V MHEV and also for PHEV next year. PHEV more likely to lower the centre of gravity.

Screen is 10” like the original and has dials for climate etc on base and S, then SE and HSE drops the touch pro duo from Velar into centre console.

Associate
My parents bought an Evoque last year, literally the dullest car I've ever driven. It is much better for my mum though now she's getting on a bit.

Soldato
I meant, in the meantime, before they have the 2020 hybrid will the ICE versions have a higher centre of gravity vs current ones.

If you can detect a sheet of body metal and carpet being lifted 40mm you are destined for special things...

Reality all the ICE cars are with MHEV and also the roof line is sort of between then the old 5door and 3door.

Soldato
I really like the Evoque, I ashamed to say I like the soft top. Will they be carrying it on with the facelift I wonder.

A friend has 2015 5 door variant, I’ve only ever been a passenger and I love the cabin, very well put together and generally a nice place to be. It has been back to the dealer several times though.

A year ago my uncle bought a 2007 RRS HSE with 130k on it. He got it from a friend who had owned it since new, he over paid at 11k in my opinion.

It’s the 2.7 TD V6 and I’ve driven it a fair amount, it’s a nice drive despite the age and miles but even my uncle has had the shine taken off. Within a year, it’s had to have:

1) Air conditioning compressor
2) One EGR valve
3) Replacement wiring part wiring loom because power socket kept failing
4) Dashboard cluster rebuilt as internal speaker failed, so no indicator noise, front parking sensors and lights on buzzers didn’t work
5) Something to do with the alarm had to be replaced
6) Front NS wheel bearing
7) some strip near the windscreen needing replacement due to wind noise

Now a lot of this could be contributed to the age and miles of the car, and it’s a nice drive, albeit gutless, but he ADORES it.

Soldato
The implication being that the X6 is in some way fun to drive...

I cannot imagine in what way! Maybe it’s a bit faster?
I didn't really think it could be fun to drive an SUV (which I assume you are suggesting), I always thought of them as a utility car. But when looking for a replacement for our family CR-V it was suggested to me to try the new(ish) X3 M40i. It really was a lot of fun to drive so I got one a couple of months ago and it still puts a smile on my face now with the exhaust popping and crackling. I'd say it's more fun than a lot of 'normal' performance cars I've owned or driven.

Man of Honour
Any car can be fun to drive so its not hard to see how some cars can be more fun than others even if not dedicated sports cars.

Driving cars is fun. Driving cars with lots of power is more fun.

I found it fun to drive an Audi Q7, for example. Yet I found it much less fun to drive a Volkswagen Golf 1.4. Neither are 'fun to drive' cars...

Back
Top Bottom