New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
I found an interesting thing today about Discovery, Pike and a homage to the pilot episode 'Cage' in the original series. In Cage, Spock wasn't first officer. Pike's second in command was a female officer known simply as Number One, in the same way that the first officer under Pike in Discovery is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cage_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)
That's because the Number one in Discovery IS the same Number One from the Cage. Well different actress of course. Discovery ties in with TOS as its a few years prior to it.

Caporegime
I need to ask a semi rhetorical question... why for the love of ferenginar has time travel obliterated sci fi recently?
It used to just be an occasional offshoot episode or part of a seasonal finale for some shows, but jeez the amount of shows (including this one) that just revolves around it is ridiculous now.

I can’t help but watch them knowing full well the whole story is ridiculous, in bated self loathing.

Soldato
I need to ask a semi rhetorical question... why for the love of ferenginar has time travel obliterated sci fi recently?
It used to just be an occasional offshoot episode or part of a seasonal finale for some shows, but jeez the amount of shows (including this one) that just revolves around it is ridiculous now.

I can’t help but watch them knowing full well the whole story is ridiculous, in bated self loathing.

The reason why most shows stay away from time travel, is it's almost impossible to do without breaking a ton of other stuff in your canon. If like STD, you don't care about canon or being consistent, it's an easy do-over, a chance to reset and retcon any stuff you don't like and just wave your hands about to not-bother explaining it.

Possibly Babylon 5 managed it by sending one of it's characters into the past to become part of the historical record that we already knew about, but even Doctor Who (a show about a time traveller with a time machine) rarely messes with their own timeline because of the problems that it causes in consistency.

In summary, time travel breaks a load of things, but it's easy for lazy writers who can't be bothered to tie up the loose ends.

Associate
Not only that, a time travel episode/show basically tells the person watching it, it's not worth watching. Mainly because whatever has happened usually has no relevance on what they watch next in the series, so may as well have skipped it altogether.
I could do without all this time travel *****.

Soldato
I think Discovery writers and producers do care about canon, or at least the current ones do as they seem to be doing as much as possible to correct things done in season 1 and making sure they tie in to TOS as much as possible now .

On another note this week's episode was brilliant, wish I didn't have to wait a week for the finale.

The Enterprise looked great and also had all the TOS sounds ie the door whoosh and bridge. Also many of the visual things were there .Red around doors and on bridge, handles in the turbo lifts etc .

Discovery evacuation bridges we're kinda stupid though.

Man of Honour
Possibly Babylon 5 managed it by sending one of it's characters into the past to become part of the historical record that we already knew about

I think Babylon 5 handled time travel really well, it was actually possible to go back to earlier episodes and see how it all fit together within the later time travel reveals. Very well done and could see that it was planned from the start to include it.

Soldato
B5 was planned out before it started though, so the idea of what was going to happen over the series arc was always going to work without breaking things, in most SciFi these days its wedged in and then then do something to reset the entire episode which usually leaves a bad taste as its essentially a wasted episode..

Soldato
Enjoyable episode amongs the s-nowflake crybaby moments, which there was too much of. It was great seeing Jett back and her teasing Ash with a one liner had me laughing. It was also a joy to see the Queen again and her getting to know the crew. Had Mass Effect 3 vibes at the end! Still gutted about it being Anson Mount's last season though, going to miss him more than anyone next season.

Soldato
I found the most intolerable thing is that the very last lines of the episode were in the bloody trailer.
I know this episode was a trailer for the actual finale, but it'll be fun.

Still 2 more signals!

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Not a very good episode, I just felt like it went no where. Also the show felt less annoying over the last few weeks and I couldn't put my finger on it till Tilly appeared :(

The update Enterprise looked good, its a good combination of bringing the look up to modern standards yet staying true to the original look. Anson Mount and Ethan Peck still continue to be good, its a pity we will never see these actors back in the show or even a spin off but considering the minds behind the current show maybe its for the better.

Back
Top Bottom